A charming road movie from Japan, 1936

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
About 25 years ago I saw a lot of Japanese films in a Japanese film festival, films made before the war. This one is the one that marked me by its beauty and simplicity, and also by its grace. One can appreciate how the Japanese already had excellent cameras and could make images of great beauty. The story of this film is simple: it is the story of a small bus and its passengers. But with this simple story we can see a whole Japan, the one of the countryside, a Japan before the Second World war, and a Japan before Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I like very much the small films which speak about small people. It is the great subject of the film.

I have often thought about this movie, but I had neither the title nor the director. I never saw it again. Yesterday or the day before I thought about this movie and how with such a simple story you can make a great human story. Then this morning this movie appeared in my Youtube wall. Magic!

The title is “Mr. Thank you” and the director is Shimizu Hiroshi.

It is a film that is relaxing and sometimes meditative and the movement of this small bus helps us to feel part of this road story, a movement that resembles that of the sea in the afternoons, when people take a nap.

The film has subtitles in English and Spanish. Enjoy and relax!

Back
Top Bottom