A Catastrophe of Comets

I immediately printed out Your two articles written for SOTT when I came across them earlier this year. So well done! They helped explain so much, and I love that you are using the tools available to you to collect this data - just putting it out there for everyone to decide for themselves. Powerful stuff.

I had no idea you had a blog, and look forward to checking in regularly! Thanks for the heads up...

Dragonhunter, you are such an original 'out-of-the-box' type thinker; I am curious as to your opinion on the Electric Universe model seen in these links:
http://www.electricuniverse.info/Introduction
http://www.holoscience.com/synopsis.php
http://www.thunderbolts.info/

Hi monksgirl,

I hold Dave Talbott, and Wal Thornhill in the highest, and warmest, regard. They were the first to take what I've been saying seriously.

But while I agree with them that electric plasma phenomena are a fundamental, driving force in the universe, we are in complete disagreement about the nature of the planetary scarring of electric discharge phenomena.

The claim of the Thunderbolts group that an impact can not plausibly account for the geomorphology of a crater is false. They disregard, and/or invalidate the experimental data produced by decades of hypervelocity impact research at the Hypervelocity Vertical Gun Range at the NASA Ames Research center. Yet while they claim that inter-planetary electric discharges can explain the geomorphology of a crater better, they fail to give an even remotley plausible explanation of the physics of exactly how.

No one has ever made an electric crater happen, complete with shock metamorphic effects, into Earth-normal materials, and under Earth-normal conditions, in an experiment. And so far no one can even begin to design an experiment that can.

I'm not a physicist. But as an Ironworker, and certified welding instructor, I have more than 25 years of practical experience with the electric plasma technology used in cutting, welding, and fabricating steel. I've seen equipment malfunctions that blew 3 inch holes in 5 inch thick steel armor plate. And I've seen large capacitors used in laser cutting equipment produce the damndest electrical explosions you could ever imagine.

I have no doubt but that electric discharges might be capable of significant planetary scarring. But if electric discharge phenomena are infinitely scalable as they say, that scarring won't have even the remotest resmblance to an impact crater.

It will look like a giant plasma burn.

There's a couple of new papers in PNAS now that're related to this, and both are very supportive of what I've been saying. They are:

Evidence from central Mexico supporting the Younger Dryas extraterrestrial impact hypothesis by Isabel Israde-Alcántara et al
http://www.pnas.org/content/109/13/E738.full.pdf

That one's really a boost for me. Because the 10 cm thick impact layer they found in the lake sediments at Lake Cuitzeo contains the kinds of things you'd expect to see if a large hypervelocity object had passed almost directly overhead. And it must have been well down into the atmosphere when it did. So the data they found is perfectly consistent with what I've described as the Mexican Impact Zone. Which begins about 150 mile north, and downrange of that location.

The other paper just released in PNAS is:

Very high-temperature impact melt products as evidence for cosmic airbursts and impacts 12,900 years ago by T.E. Bunch et al.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/06/14/1204453109.full.pdf

Both of those links take you to the full unrestricted paper. So give 'em time to load.

It's been quite a while since I posted anything her on Cassiopaea Forum. But this is an update on my progress that should be shared with this group.

Thanks to a generous grant from Quantum Future Group I'll be spending the next few weeks on walkabout doing some field research at a few of the places I've been writing about. The first place I'll visit will be in Northern Minnesota.

See: http://craterhunter.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/a-minnesota-field-trip/

DragonHunter said:
It's been quite a while since I posted anything her on Cassiopaea Forum. But this is an update on my progress that should be shared with this group.

Thanks to a generous grant from Quantum Future Group I'll be spending the next few weeks on walkabout doing some field research at a few of the places I've been writing about. The first place I'll visit will be in Northern Minnesota.

Thanks for the update DragonHunter, enjoy the walkabout in N.Min. and will check back on your site from time to time.

Edit: PS. fascinating video with the ice sequence as a terrestrial buffer in the experiment.

DragonHunter said:

Thanks DragonHunter!
That is indeed very interesting...
Those “volcanogenic” rock samples you will try to pick up will be tested in a labor to see of what they are composed of and the possible origin they have or how they were formed, right?

Have fun on your trip!

Yes, the samples will be sent to various labs across the country.
We'll be looking for any trace of ET chemistry, or shock metamorphism.

DragonHunter said:
Yes, the samples will be sent to various labs across the country.
We'll be looking for any trace of ET chemistry, or shock metamorphism.

Are you also inquiring about geomagnetism around the craters? I found a paper reporting demagnetization around a crater on Mars (K. L. Louzada, S. T. Stewart and B. P. Weiss, “Shock Demagnetization Of Pyrrhotite”, Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVI, 2005) but I'm still wondering if we have similar examples here on Earth. I'm also wondering if the electric discharge between an incoming cometary body and the Earth's surface could trigger a local demagnetization. Any idea?

I will be looking for geomagnetic anomalies. But I'm not looking for craters. The LIS was more than two km thick. The residual scars of the tremendous hydrothermal explosions that resulted from the ice sheet impacts don't bare any resemblance at all
to a crater.

DragonHunter said:
I will be looking for geomagnetic anomalies. But I'm not looking for craters. The LIS was more than two km thick. The residual scars of the tremendous hydrothermal explosions that resulted from the ice sheet impacts don't bare any resemblance at all
to a crater.

Looking at the map, looks like you are describing a West to East impact towards Thunder Bay? I must say, that is a very interesting and unique feature in the landscape and not all that far from Sudbury's "Big Nickle". It is hard to imagine the quantity of cubic kilometers of water that would be unleashed upon the landscape so suddenly from the breaking apart and heating of the ice sheet, not to mention the effects of the hydrological forces in scouring the landscape.

Interesting field research - enjoy!

No, actually I'm describing a low angle east to west impact into the Luarentide Ice Sheet there in northern Minnesota. The arrow shaped burn scar in the sub-ice surface points away from the point of impact in the ice, and away from the powerful hydrothermal explosion that resulted from the impact into the ice of something very large . Think of it as a burn scar from a very hot, and powerful hydrothermal torch directed downwards in a lateral blast downrange.

The one in Minnesota is only the biggest, and most dramatic. The number of randomized hydrothermal burn scars with similar chemistry can be found in great numbers all the way to the Arctic Ocean. There are enough locations like that in the Canadian Shield where the heat of impact was enough to penetrate all the way through the ice cover to the sub-ice surface to account for the almost complete destruction of an ice sheet almost as big as the continental U.S. in a matter of minutes.

DragonHunter said:
No, actually I'm describing a low angle east to west impact into the Luarentide Ice Sheet there in northern Minnesota. The arrow shaped burn scar in the sub-ice surface points away from the point of impact in the ice, and away from the powerful hydrothermal explosion that resulted from the impact into the ice of something very large . Think of it as a burn scar from a very hot, and powerful hydrothermal torch directed downwards in a lateral blast downrange.

The one in Minnesota is only the biggest, and most dramatic. The number of randomized hydrothermal burn scars with similar chemistry can be found in great numbers all the way to the Arctic Ocean. There are enough locations like that in the Canadian Shield where the heat of impact was enough to penetrate all the way through the ice cover to the sub-ice surface to account for the almost complete destruction of an ice sheet almost as big as the continental U.S. in a matter of minutes.

Missed that, was following the point to the scatter spread in the east; low impact clarifies. What would be the approximate numbers of hydrothermal burn scares noted in the Canadian Shield? Also, what this seems to be saying is that it may have been a swarm event in the northern hemisphere upon the ice sheet with perhaps some bigger focus point hits? "Complete destruction" in minutes - oh my, what a colossal immediate change to everything.

Thank you DH.

voyageur said:
DragonHunter said:

Missed that, was following the point to the scatter spread in the east; low impact clarifies. What would be the approximate numbers of hydrothermal burn scares noted in the Canadian Shield? Also, what this seems to be saying is that it may have been a swarm event in the northern hemisphere upon the ice sheet with perhaps some bigger focus point hits? "Complete destruction" in minutes - oh my, what a colossal immediate change to everything.

Thank you DH.

Yes, and I'm assuming that would have vaporized a tremendous amount of water causing horrendous rain flooding over huge areas as time progressed.

Indeed a swarm event is exactly what we're talking about. My thinking at this point is that the Earth must have passed through the debris field of the Taurid Progenitor object soon after it's complete breakup. See W. M. Napier's 'Palaeolithic extinctions and the Taurid Complex'. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2268163/Paleolithic%20extinctions.pdf

The Earth moves along her own orbital path at something like 8.4 times her own width in an hour. So the main event would've been concentrated on one side of the planet, and over with in about an hour. But we are also expecting to find evidence of annual return engagements with the debris from the Taurids for millennia afterwards each time the Earth's orbit coincided with that of the highest concentrations of remaining fragments in the Taurid Complex.

And the scariest realization of all is that the Taurids aren't through with us yet. Sooner or later the orbital resonances of the Earth, and the Taurid Complex will line up again to make it rain fire again.

Back
Top Bottom