50 Years of World Press Photo Awards

Johnno

The Living Force
http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=blogsection&id=15&Itemid=115&bandwidth=low

Vietnam, Rwanda, Lebanon, Iraq, Bosnia, Chechnya, refugee camps of all descriptions, earthquakes......

A disturbing photo montage of the last 50 years.

Greetings, Johnno!

Viewing the photographs I marvelled at how different something seems when portrayed in words and when through a picture. The caption of the 1985 picture is:

"Armero, Colombia, 16 November 1985. Twelve-year-old Omayra Sanchez trapped in the debris caused by the eruption of Nevado del Ruíz volcano. After sixty hours she eventually lost consciousness and died."

That is bad enough. But to look into her eyes! Ayyyyyyy! It is an experience beyond tears, beyond horror. The words give you such a pale glimpse of the reality as to be almost criminal by comparison. I think every piece of reporting should be accompanied by a photograph, and that photographic viewing be made mandatory. If you can still proclaim the glories of war, or turn your back on those who suffer in disasters, you need your human being license revoked.

Thanks for the pictures. I feel a little closer to the real world by just looking at them.

Craig S

Back
Top Bottom