2 types of dreams

RobertB

Padawan Learner
I have 2 types of dreams, differing only in what I can remember upon awakening.
First type, it's all there and it won't go away, not even 50 years can erase.
Latter type, very little survives, even the times I know I am waking up and great effort is made to retain, only the scene and subject remains.
My question: What is going on that I cannot bring the dream with me into awakening?

When I wake up directly from a dream (or woken up) I usually can remember it more. I think most people wake up every 90 minutes or so during the night after the REM phase but it is not for long and not remembered. And in the morning it is hard to recall dreams from the middle of the night. but if you awake up directly after and sit up then it is easier.

Also I think I wake up from the dream, then am able to remember it more, if it is specifically impacting. like emotional or frightening. I'm not sure there is two types. maybe more like a spectrum. I know that people can keep dream journals, and increase recall over time with work, so it is not set in stone.

Sounds like we are a bit different in dream remembrance patterns as well as spectrum.
Kind of like emission and absorbtion lines of stellar types.
Your post is most enlightening, totally smokin', I can dig it.

Hi RobertB,
Could you help me out here and explain this "spectrum"?

RobertB said:
Sounds like we are a bit different in dream remembrance patterns as well as spectrum.
[...]

I'm trying hard to read the meaning of the following. Could you please clarify as to what this means?
RobertB said:
[...]
Kind of like emission and absorbtion lines of stellar types.
[...]

Thank you in advance...

A spectrum of dreams, in a stellar sense, like stars that go from type O to type M.
Each star type has a color, and when it's light is spread out into a spectrum, there are bright lines and dark lines.
The 7 classical stellar types are:
O = blue
B = blue-white
A = white
F = yellow-white
G = yellow
K = orange
M = red
Looking deeper, the visual color of the star is replaced by different intensities of color bands:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Obafgkm_noao_big.jpg
So we have types of dreams, and in our 3D world we all have variations. Perhaps these are related to certain details by thier importance, or conspicuous absence (emission and absorbtion).
This universe appears to me to repeat, like notes in octaves.
It is sometimes helpful to me to try and find an example of phenomena in other ares of nature.
And sometimes it's a square peg in a round hole, with nothing to show for the effort but a ruined board, peg and splinters.

RobertB said:
[...]
It is sometimes helpful to me to try and find an example of phenomena in other ares of nature.
[...]

Thanks for the explanation RobertB. Because there is so very much to learn, I doubt to be well versed in every subject available. Sometimes I need a little help connecting the dots on on-liners. I don't read between the lines all that well and for the most part, always appreciate new information.

Hmm, I haven't heard of a "spectrum" of dreams. I studied dreams for a number of years, must admit that they are still quite mysterious.

The ones that last in my memory it has more to do with involvement rather than content. Some dreams are very real, I am awake in the dream able, to some extent affect their course. These kinds of dreams sometimes seem more real than waking life and I remember them as actual events in my life, places I have visited. And actively studying dreams seems to make it easier to remember them in my experience.

Most dreams are fleeting wisps. It's possible it's just the part of the mind that doesn't sleep horsing around with light, color and ideas.

I found that pursing dream symbols can be like chasing the proverbial wild goose. There are sometimes meaningful symbols in my dreams but the meaning in each context is different and elusive. And most are very subjective.

FWIW

Mac

And most are very subjective.

Yup, methinks anything is subjective until knowledge is gained. Thoughts and opinions can grow into views and then into theories, but still 'tis all based on subjectivity. One can use large words and obfuscation in an attempt to prove intellect for the ego, but without knowledge, 'tis still wishful thinking.

Interesting side note is that somewhere in SOTT, I think to remember an article where some machine was somewhat able to barely project a persons dream onto a screen for viewing pleasure. (I can't find the article.) Still, that does not define what a dream is, osit.

Back
Top Bottom