2 movies about trucks (if you like trucks, like me)

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
There are two good movies to see for those who like stories where a truck is the star. It's about the same story but with two different versions, one French, a classic, "Le salaire de la peur", by Henri-Georges Clouzot with Yves Montand; the other version is an American one, very good, even excellent with Roy Scheider, the one who plays the policeman in the film JAWS. But with other good actors also, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal (a Spanish actor of first category). The movie is Sorcerer by William Friedkin. Friedkin did others good movies: To Live and Die in LA, The Exorcist, French Connection… So, a good craftsman.

In the movie we see real men, and real dangerous situation. I prefer the American movie, specially because the music is from Tangerine Dream.

It is the perfect moment to look movies where trucks are movie stars!

How about 'Over the Top' with Sylvester Stallone? Maybe you like this one too. It's an arm-wrestling, trucker movie on testosterone.

I do not know this movie and I do not like Sylvester Stallone. Sorry! But thanks for the tip. Maybe others have ideas about truck movies.

Hi, by browsing this section of the forum i saw this thread and remembered a movie about a killer truck i saw a looong time ago ...
And i found it, and it's on youtube, from Spielberg, in 1971, name is "Duel"

No much sentences and a raising suspense.
But uh ... I don't know if it's not the contrary of what you like, because here, the truck is not really the star, but the contrary, the bad one of the movie ;-D

I had never heard of Sorcerer before... watched it recently after reading this thread.. What an intense film...I loved it! Could almost smell the diesel fumes... My favourite bit was the rope bridge bit.. argh! Thanks for the recommendation!

I can't think of any other movies starring trucks, except Duel..

My dad used to take us four-wheel-driving a lot when I was little, out in the bush.. like rock climbing with a car. Sometimes it felt like the Landcruiser was almost vertical. Our rule was, if the dog falls off the seat, it's too steep. :) We also drove, very slowly, through many a crocodile-infested river, water nearly up to the windows... no twisty rope bridges though!

Some oldies, loreta:
Silent Thunder...hit to goto YouTube:

I couldn't find the entire movie but this one was fun....Burt Reynolds movies were popular when I was a young woman:

Hi, by browsing this section of the forum i saw this thread and remembered a movie about a killer truck i saw a looong time ago ...
And i found it, and it's on youtube, from Spielberg, in 1971, name is "Duel"

No much sentences and a raising suspense.
But uh ... I don't know if it's not the contrary of what you like, because here, the truck is not really the star, but the contrary, the bad one of the movie ;-D
I love this movie. I can easily imagine myself in a car traveling a long road and meeting a truck like this one. :-D In fact an excellent movie, the first one of Spielberg. A road movie.

Last edited:
Trucking Movies always have a sweet spot for me. Growing up in the 70's as a kid it was about big vehicles/Evel Kineval and Dirt Bikes in our neighbourood and on TV. Open road and big horsepower! When the trucking convoy happened here in Canada, so many of us re-visited the old Convoy/Smokey and the Bear pics that we hadn't seen in so long.

Although I work in logistics and trucking, I don't drive anything bigger than a 5 ton, but was lucky enough as a kid to have a dad who was a drag racer. Being around those giant engines and above all - that sound - of snarly deafening horsepower never leaves you. My mom and dad have been divorced since 1978, and only reconciled a few years ago where they can be friends now. When they finally got together by me & my sister's plan, the first thing they talked about was Mother's Day in in 1976 when my dad went to the race track with me (7 at the time) and didn't bring her flowers or even show up. It was all about racing.

Bad husband for sure. Great dad, though. I got to hang out in the "chase" vehicle behind the dragster and heard those engines and saw that speed for the first time up close. I'm not defending that as great parenting, but I sure loved it. And my kids got to see dirt track racing a generation later and meet the drivers and sure had a great time.

Here's a pic from the late 70's of an A class front-engine dragster my dad and his buddy were running. I think I might have been sitting in the back of the Chevy Suburban in the background, but I'm not sure as being a kid I might have the race days mixed up.

As Loreta started this thread, I'm hoping I'm not hijacking it or spinning it somewhere else. But it's really cool that she's from Gran Canaria and discussing this. I'm guessing Gran Canaria isn't exactly a trucking hub :-)

Big rigs and fast engines have an addictive attraction for me still to this day. I'm pretty sure me and my oldest friend are getting dirt bikes this year (We're both 53) after 20 years. Both our wives have told us they are not calling ambulances and we're on our own when we crash. They both have life insurance on us, so it should be okay :-)

Attachments

• murray2.jpg
    murray2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 8
Trucking Movies always have a sweet spot for me. Growing up in the 70's as a kid it was about big vehicles/Evel Kineval and Dirt Bikes in our neighbourood and on TV. Open road and big horsepower! When the trucking convoy happened here in Canada, so many of us re-visited the old Convoy/Smokey and the Bear pics that we hadn't seen in so long.

Although I work in logistics and trucking, I don't drive anything bigger than a 5 ton, but was lucky enough as a kid to have a dad who was a drag racer. Being around those giant engines and above all - that sound - of snarly deafening horsepower never leaves you. My mom and dad have been divorced since 1978, and only reconciled a few years ago where they can be friends now. When they finally got together by me & my sister's plan, the first thing they talked about was Mother's Day in in 1976 when my dad went to the race track with me (7 at the time) and didn't bring her flowers or even show up. It was all about racing.

Bad husband for sure. Great dad, though. I got to hang out in the "chase" vehicle behind the dragster and heard those engines and saw that speed for the first time up close. I'm not defending that as great parenting, but I sure loved it. And my kids got to see dirt track racing a generation later and meet the drivers and sure had a great time.

Here's a pic from the late 70's of an A class front-engine dragster my dad and his buddy were running. I think I might have been sitting in the back of the Chevy Suburban in the background, but I'm not sure as being a kid I might have the race days mixed up.

As Loreta started this thread, I'm hoping I'm not hijacking it or spinning it somewhere else. But it's really cool that she's from Gran Canaria and discussing this. I'm guessing Gran Canaria isn't exactly a trucking hub :-)

Big rigs and fast engines have an addictive attraction for me still to this day. I'm pretty sure me and my oldest friend are getting dirt bikes this year (We're both 53) after 20 years. Both our wives have told us they are not calling ambulances and we're on our own when we crash. They both have life insurance on us, so it should be okay :-)
I love your story. Thanks to share it. Trucks are very impressive. When driving on roads, a truck for me was a mastodon I respected and at the same time I was feeling something as a warm feeling, like I knew that truck drivers were ok and can help you if you had a problem on the road. And seeing them, their trucks I imagined their lives, their adventures, and also I imagined myself driving a truck with a dog and some books. Ah, ah! Free as a bird.

The movie Breakdown with Kurt Russell as some similarities with Duel.
A good thriller IHMO.

Synopsis:
Jeff and Amy Taylor are moving to California and must drive across the country. When they find themselves stranded in the middle of a desert with hardly anyone or anything around, their trip comes to a sudden halt. Amy had taken a ride with a friendly trucker to a small diner to call for help, but after a long time, Jeff becomes worried. He finds that no one in the diner has seen or heard from his wife. When he finds the trucker who gave Amy the ride, the trucker swears he has never seen her. Now Jeff must attempt to find his wife, who has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom. But who can he trust?

Don't forget "Convoy" from the 1970's.
Synopsis:
Trucker Martin "Rubber Duck" Penwald (Kris Kristofferson) and his buddies Pig Pen (Burt Young), Widow Woman (Madge Sinclair) and Spider Mike (Franklin Ajaye) use their CB radios to warn one another of the presence of cops. But conniving Sheriff Wallace (Ernest Borgnine) is hip to the truckers' tactics, and begins tricking the drivers through his own CB broadcasts. Facing constant harassment from the law, Rubber Duck and his pals use their radios to coordinate a vast convoy and rule the road.

My dad was a long haul trucker when I was a kid. I remember having a lot of fun listening to his road stories. And of course, CB radios were in use and we loved listening to the truckers on them.

If you like creepy stories, there's Steven King's, "Maximum Overdrive," where trucks become conscious and force ppl to service them. The story centers around a group of ppl, trapped in a truck stop dinner, where it's humans vs trucks....I liked the book better (as usual).

There is this French series "Les routes de l'impossible" (impossible roads) that is very good and in this chapter we can see trucks on the African roads, in this case in the Congo. Incredible.

This one happens in Guyanna.

You follow the difficulties of the truckers on the impossible roads. A true adventure. Very well done. But in the series you have many roads that are impossible, nightmarish, and how people with their trucks, their busses, their cars try to live and work on these roads that seem impossible, but they exist. For real.

There is this French series "Les routes de l'impossible" (impossible roads) that is very good and in this chapter we can see trucks on the African roads, in this case in the Congo. Incredible.

This one happens in Guyanna.

You follow the difficulties of the truckers on the impossible roads. A true adventure. Very well done. But in the series you have many roads that are impossible, nightmarish, and how people with their trucks, their busses, their cars try to live and work on these roads that seem impossible, but they exist. For real.
Loreta, you would have loved going 4 wheeling with us. I hung around with a bunch who drove Jeeps on/off road. Every weekend we'd go out. Omg it was fun. Thru woods, across creeks and mud! So much mud, we'd be covered.
This is an Australian video, I couldn't find good ones from the USA that captured our outings:

Now this one shows how Jeeps can climb, and yes, we had a spot called The Steps, where you could do vertical climbs...scary yet thrilling!

Loreta, you would have loved going 4 wheeling with us. I hung around with a bunch who drove Jeeps on/off road. Every weekend we'd go out. Omg it was fun. Thru woods, across creeks and mud! So much mud, we'd be covered.
This is an Australian video, I couldn't find good ones from the USA that captured our outings:

Now this one shows how Jeeps can climb, and yes, we had a spot called The Steps, where you could do vertical climbs...scary yet thrilling!
Jeeps are my favorite car, not fancy jeeps but real ones from the Jeep brand. Now it is too late to dream about a jeep, I think so. In fact, I never see a jeep here, just maybe from the army, the best ones! But it is rare.

Thank you for the videos, I surely enjoy to look at them!

Back
Top Bottom