1883, 1923 and Yellowstone

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Well, the title isn't about random numbers, but about three TV shows circling the Dutton family, and it's ranch in Montana. They are all written by Taylor Sheridan. So far, all series are picked with old Hollywood stars like Kevin Costner and Harrison Ford, for example, and have in general, an excellent cast imo. Yellowstone is eventually, at times, over the top and can be very brutal and especially season 2, though what stands out is the filming (of the landscape), the conservative spirit, the view on nature and it's characters in each series.

Personally, I most like 1883 and how the story gets told and how the ranch came into existence, though it has also a sad flavor involved.

Well, the title isn't about random numbers, but about three TV shows circling the Dutton family, and it's ranch in Montana. They are all written by Taylor Sheridan. So far, all series are picked with old Hollywood stars like Kevin Costner and Harrison Ford, for example, and have in general, an excellent cast imo. Yellowstone is eventually, at times, over the top and can be very brutal and especially season 2, though what stands out is the filming (of the landscape), the conservative spirit, the view on nature and it's characters in each series.

Personally, I most like 1883 and how the story gets told and how the ranch came into existence, though it has also a sad flavor involved.
Do you know if this series is based on a book?

I'll give 1883 a chance. I abandoned Yellowstone in the first episode. It was kind of nothing.

I made it to the second episode and felt the same way. And despite the beautiful landscape and horses, there were some scenes that just didn't need to be there or be so graphic.

I'll wait until my husband starts watching 1883 because he will know if it's for me :lol:

I made it to the second episode and felt the same way. And despite the beautiful landscape and horses, there were some scenes that just didn't need to be there or be so graphic.

I abandoned Yellowstone on the second episode for the same reason. And I wanted to like the show. In my opinion, excessive or overt violence/gore/sex in drama shows are not a sign of "realism". Or at least not the realism we need, especially nowadays. I have seen shows that managed to be poignant and deep without all of that.

In my personal opinion, such brutality is a sign of bad writing (specifically because of other shows that somehow manage without it) or ir was asked by those who write the checks. For shock factor and all that.

I’ve only watched 1883. It starts off well, very beautiful scenery. The writing felt off, as if the show was more about aesthetic, not much depth, just going from one crazy event to the next. I prefer deeper story telling than so much emphasis on pretty aesthetics juxtaposed with brutality. I get what they’re going for but it’s not for me.

The daughter was incredibly annoying too, just not a realistic female character for the times I felt. People rave about this show but I just couldn’t finish it.

I too stopped watching Yellowstone quite early on too. Far to violent and dark for my tastes. Incredibly over the top with the usual things these days, drugs, sex etc. However, 1883 was a brilliant western in my eyes. Poignant, very well made, mature and an overall great experience. Taylor Sheridan, the writer, is now working on 1923 which is further on in the timeline as has been noted above. New cast of characters and has once again knocked it out of the park. It actually reminds me of the old adventure movies of the past. movies like Hatari and older westerns. The characters are well rounded and its another very well made show. In the most recent episode I would make a guess that anyone on the forum who watches it will really connect with a moment when the Dutton family is sitting around the dinner table. I would certainly throw my weight behind 1883 and 1923 if you're struggling for good entertainment.

I abandoned Yellowstone on the second episode for the same reason. And I wanted to like the show. In my opinion, excessive or overt violence/gore/sex in drama shows are not a sign of "realism". Or at least not the realism we need, especially nowadays. I have seen shows that managed to be poignant and deep without all of that.

Exactly.

Personally, I don't need to watch a show based on fictional people to understand our reality or human relationships etc. I am a thinking, feeling person alive on 3D Earth at this point in time, aware of most things going on. It's more than I can handle sometimes.

And it's not just about being able to handle the violence of these shows. I recently finished reading - for the first time - the American classic, Uncle Tom's Cabin. The description of violence (of all kinds) and inhumanity in that book is abundant. But the author had a reason for writing that book. Guided by her religious and moral principles, she wanted the abolition of slavery in the USA. Some of the people and events she describes are based on real individuals she knew or heard of and events that actually took place.

Despite and because of the religious gloss, which I didn't mind at all, I found the book extremely spiritual and inspiring and I hope that what I got from it will stay with me for a long time: the love of freedom truth and justice, the choice to not allow darkness to dim our light and diminish our love no matter how cruelly and unjustly we are treated, and last - which for me was a very unexpected but powerful effect - more love for life AND less fear of death. May I "grow up" to be like Uncle Tom or little Eva one day 🙏

And perhaps another person will read Uncle Tom's Cabin and not get from it what I did. Maybe even I wouldn't get the same results from reading it had I read it at another point in my life. And perhaps those who are watching and love Yellowstone are getting something from it that I am not getting. Sometimes the generalized suffering of the reality we live in is not felt as strongly until it becomes "personal" through story-telling. And perhaps I am getting inappropriately philosophical, verbose, and contradictory in a thread about a mere tv show :lol: I'll stop now.

It is interesting that votes here are generally opposite between men and women. I'm pretty sure that men don't like these shows for gore (didn't see any, just violence) and sex (only between people in deep loving relationships). Main themes running through the shows are family and injustice. Characters struggle and (often) win against all odds. Women characters there often have to take a man's role and fight for their lives and families. Could it be men see something there which doesn't resonate within women?

I have just finished reading Bringers of the Dawn by Barbara Marciniak. While being interlaced with New Age ideas it still contains a lot of good points. One of them refers to necessity of developing both male and female parts in ourselves. Romance novels do a good job of waking up the feminine feeling part but they usually don't go too far with depiction of a real evil. But the real evil exists and sometimes the only way to deal with it is to face it. Duttons are threatened with such an evil again and again in the shows and do whatever it takes to save their loved ones, even sacrifice themselves. It is the male part they call upon and that part is a rare guest in modern men especially in Western countries. Maybe some of us like these shows because they teach us how to be a knight, and I understand that that role is not for everyone.

I watched 1883 and would describe it as "Little House in the Prairies on Steroids by the Power of 10". I ended up liking the young woman/main character in 1883 a lot by the end, despite all the cheesy narratives constructed around her. I think it's a show that really touches people with a deep connection to the struggles of their American past, whether past life or ancestry, and/or who had a similar past life or history. Migrations, brutal contention/encounter with the raw powers of nature, dealing with psychopaths, clash of civilizations a la Amerindian meets Settler and vice versa. The thing about Taylor Sheridan is that he does his homework well. You can wonder about any particular historical setting, do some research about it, and realize it is very well made based on the data available. I see him as a historical novelist with a bit of a philosopher on him. I wouldn't pick up this show to calm your nerves or sooth your wounds, though. It reminded me of the movie "Hostiles" with Christian Bale and set up in 1892, and which has a nice reference to the writings of the greatest man who ever lived - Julius Caesar. I do think they went a bit propagandistic on the Russian settlers in 1883, first by translating their language in the subtitles as "German dialog" and then by showing that so few of them survived. Still, it brings the point across that life is not easy.

I have to say I’ve enjoyed Yellowstone so far. I’ve watched the first 3 seasons. It is over the top at times and I’ve said a few times “surly he can’t be in trouble again, already “.
I think it’s the freedom, outdoor lifestyle that appeals to me and the stunning scenery. Hard work and stoicism are on show and togetherness and loyalty.
Hope that makes sense, I’ve never been Particularly great at writing my thoughts down.

It is interesting that votes here are generally opposite between men and women. I'm pretty sure that men don't like these shows for gore (didn't see any, just violence) and sex (only between people in deep loving relationships). Main themes running through the shows are family and injustice. Characters struggle and (often) win against all odds. Women characters there often have to take a man's role and fight for their lives and families. Could it be men see something there which doesn't resonate within women?
I know a few women who watch and love Yellowstone, and I am surprised that so far most people who replied here don't, because, in real life, I am in the minority. That's why I replied to Mililea, I was anticipating that most people would rave about it, so I wanted to say, "I get it, you are not alone".

I have just finished reading Bringers of the Dawn by Barbara Marciniak. While being interlaced with New Age ideas it still contains a lot of good points. One of them refers to necessity of developing both male and female parts in ourselves. Romance novels do a good job of waking up the feminine feeling part but they usually don't go too far with depiction of a real evil. But the real evil exists and sometimes the only way to deal with it is to face it. Duttons are threatened with such an evil again and again in the shows and do whatever it takes to save their loved ones, even sacrifice themselves. It is the male part they call upon and that part is a rare guest in modern men especially in Western countries. Maybe some of us like these shows because they teach us how to be a knight, and I understand that that role is not for everyone.

Knight?! In the show, doesn't the head of the family brand like cattle the people he "saves" and who work for him? Or am I taking it out of context?

I know a few women who watch and love Yellowstone, and I am surprised that so far most people who replied here don't, because, in real life, I am in the minority. That's why I replied to Mililea, I was anticipating that most people would rave about it, so I wanted to say, "I get it, you are not alone".

Knight?! In the show, doesn't the head of the family brand like cattle the people he "saves" and who work for him? Or am I taking it out of context?

The problem is that the first season, especially the first few episodes, are pretty dark and portray Yellowstone Ranch as somewhat evil, or at least very ambigious. In later episodes/seasons the writers kind of fell in love with the characters (as often happens with good writers - the thing develops a life of its own), and they become much more loveable and good, even though some of the ambiguity remains.

In other words, I can understand the negative reactions after just a few episodes, I was a bit torn at the beginning as well. But then I came to love the show - some superb acting, interesting stories and conflicts, and some much-needed anti-modernist sentiments, conservative values, and even some explicit anti-wokeness.

Back
Top Bottom