12 Angry Men

Jeremy F Kreuz

Dagobah Resident
Upon recommendation I watched a recorded version of the play of 12 Angry Men

Twelve Angry Men is a drama written by Reginald Rose concerning the jury of a homicide trial. The play concerns the deliberations of the jury of a homicide trial. At the beginning, they have a nearly unanimous decision of guilty, with a single dissenter of not guilty, who throughout the play sows a seed of reasonable doubt.

The whole play revolves indeed around how one man stands up for his personal opinion against a mob and slowly but surely convinces one after the other to change their opinion. It is very interesting in the dynamics and how the different characters behave.

here is the list of characters

Juror # Character
1/The Foreman The jury foreman, somewhat preoccupied with his duties; proves to be accommodating to others. An assistant high school football coach. Tends to attempt to prevent heated arguments.
2 A meek and unpretentious bank clerk who is at first domineered by others but finds his voice as the discussion goes on.
3 A businessman and distraught father, opinionated and stubborn with a temper; the antagonist

4 A rational stockbroker, unflappable, self-assured, and analytical

5 A soft-spoken young man from a violent slum, in the book a Milwaukee Brewers fan, in the movies and on Broadway, a Baltimore Orioles fan

6 A house painter, tough but principled and respectful
7 A salesman, sports fan, superficial and indifferent to the deliberations
8 An architect, the first dissenter and protagonist. Identified as "Davis" at the end

9 A wise and observant elderly man. Identified as "McCardle" at the end
10 A garage owner; a pushy and loudmouthed bigot
11 A thoughtful German watchmaker and naturalized American citizen

12 A wisecracking, indecisive advertising executive

you can watch the play here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngbEpZ0tTjI

The film is also excellent, and IMDB lists it as one of the top 10 ever:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/?ref_=nv_sr_2

This is one of the films I don't hesitate to recommend. Superb acting, marvelous script. A must see.

Yes, I agree! It is a very good movie!

In German it is called "Die 12 Geschworenen". It also has been shown at a theatre!

I have watched this movie recently and I agree it is a great movie!

It has a variety a great examples of some of the jurors engaging in "system 1 type thinking" ala Daniel Kahneman in Thinking Fast and Slow.

As the movie unfolds, the character's cognitive biases and prejudices are slowly unraveled as the protagonist utilizes slow, methodical "system 2" type thinking to expose their incorrect thinking.

He also manages to overcome many of the jurors apathy and lack of empathy for the defendant and helps them to engage their conscience to the fullest capacity that each character is able.

Matai said:
I have watched this movie recently and I agree it is a great movie!

It has a variety a great examples of some of the jurors engaging in "system 1 type thinking" ala Daniel Kahneman in Thinking Fast and Slow.

As the movie unfolds, the character's cognitive biases and prejudices are slowly unraveled as the protagonist utilizes slow, methodical "system 2" type thinking to expose their incorrect thinking.

He also manages to overcome many of the jurors apathy and lack of empathy for the defendant and helps them to engage their conscience to the fullest capacity that each character is able.

Thank you for bringing the connection to System1 and system2 thinking. Didnt think about it that way!

Just watched the movie, indeed a great one.

The post of Matai above summarizes well the ... let's name it "technique", or method, and the following last sentence
... resonated in me, like helping me to further "better understand" my relatives who "don"t understand". The point is : if you do not understand them (first) you won't understand why they do not understand, have hard to understand or simply could never understand. I also like the principle of the "maximum conscience capacity" someone is in measure to reach.

As a thread was dedicated for this movie I jumped on it to dig it up and recommend it.
When we consider the actual "covid" situation and the discussions we all have with our relatives, this movie comes handy, it gives good ideas & examples on how to argument/act upon the personality of your interlocutor(s). This movie can be considered almost as a training ... an "SDA candidate" training :lol:

Back
Top Bottom