Earthquakes around the world

During the past 24 hours, there were 2 quakes of magnitude 5.0 or above, 44 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 100 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 196 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 323 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.

Biggest quake today: 5.1 quake Hkamti District, Myanmar (Burma), 93 km southeast of Kohima, India, Sep 20, 2021 12:54 am (GMT +5:30) 19 hours ago
Most recent quake: 4.5 quake Banda Sea, Indonesia, Sep 20, 2021 11:09 pm (GMT +9) 34 minutes ago

Earthquakes Today: latest quakes worldwide during the past 24 hours on Monday, September 20, 2021 - list, stats and interactive map

La Palma volcano update: Surface continues to deform, uplift reaches 19 cm​

Mon, 20 Sep 2021, 10:23
10:23 AM | BY: T

The scenario of new eruptive fissures opening might be not that unlikely at all. The surface continues to inflate, which is a sign that more magma is being stored underground that (can erupt) erupts at the surface - the existing paths are not large enough. The volcano might choose to either enlarge them or create new ones.

A sizeable new cinder cone, typically described as “new volcano”, has already formed around the main vent. Lava fountains continue to shoot many tens of meters into the air from the most active vents.
Lava flows continued to advance, at an average speed of 700 m per hour, towards the west coast. The flows have already destroyed around a hundred homes in the municipality of El Paso, according to the first calculations of the Civil Protection. Fortunately, there has only been damage to property but not to people as the advance of the lava is slow enough to allow a managed evacuation and escape.

Scientists estimate that the available magma volume is between 17 and 20 million cubic meters of magma, according to the President of the Government of the Canary Islands, Ángel Víctor Torres. This amount far exceeds the 11 million cubic meters initially estimated by modelling the deformation observed prior to the eruption. For comparison, this represents less than half of the lava erupted during the 1971 Teneguía eruption, which was 43 million cubic meters.
The first estimate of the amount of sulfur dioxide (SO2) emitted into the atmosphere by the volcanic eruption is of the order of 6,000 —9,000 tons per day.

Seismic activity
The seismic activity on the island of La Palma continues although at lesser intensity and rate than during the buildup prior to the eruption. Since midnight, only 5 quakes above magnitude 2 and have been recorded so far, the largest a magnitude 3.0 event at 7.34 a.m. local time. However, the quakes are significant: The eruption could still evolve and new fissures could open up if the current pathways become blocked or other easier ways open up.

This scenario might not be very likely, but the quakes in the area suggest that underground, magma flow has not stabilized yet, and magma pressure is still breaking rocks to intrude into new dikes. If these propagate to the surface, a new fissure would open and lava could travel in different areas. In addition to a constant, strong volcanic tremor signal reflecting the flow of magma dominates the seismic recordings.

"La Palma volcano eruption update: lava flows destroy houses, might reach the sea / VolcanoDiscovery" https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/la-palma/news/141924/La-Palma-volcano-eruption-update-lava-flows-destroy-houses-might-reach-the-sea.html

During the past 24 hours, there were 3 quakes of magnitude 6.0 or above, 7 quakes between 5.0 and 6.0, 28 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 112 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 226 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 399 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.

Biggest quake today: 6.3 quake South Pacific Ocean, 63 km west of Concepcion, Region del Biobio, Chile, Sep 21, 2021 8:14 am (GMT -5) 55 minutes ago

Most recent quake: 4.3 quake Departamento de Las Heras, 23 km west of Mendoza, Departamento de Guaymallén, Mendoza, Argentina, Sep 21, 2021 10:42 am (GMT -3) 27 minutes ago

Earthquakes Today: latest earthquakes worldwide during the past 24 hours on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 - list, stats and interactive map

M6.4 (registered by USGS) Chile earthquake update

No damage to people, alteration to basic services or infrastructure are reported as a result of this earthquake.

According to SHOA, the characteristics of the earthquake do not meet the necessary conditions to generate a tsunami off the coast of Chile.

According to the National Seismological Center, the magnitude of the earthquake was 6.1 Richter, located 10 km northwest of Lebu.

During the past 24 hours, there were 1 quake of magnitude 6.5, 7 quakes between 5.0 and 6.0, 35 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 140 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 239 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 507 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.

Biggest quake today: 6.5 quake North Pacific Ocean, 82 km southwest of Chinandega, Nicaragua, Sep 22, 2021 3:57 am (GMT -6) 4 hours ago
Most recent quake: 2.9 quake Gulf of Alaska, 8.2 mi northwest of Anchor Point, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska, USA, Sep 22, 2021 6:04 am (GMT -8) 20 minutes ago

Earthquakes Today: latest earthquakes worldwide during the past 24 hours on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 - list, stats and interactive map

Update​

Cumbre Vieja volcano eruption, La Palma: increasing tremor, lava flows destroy town of Todoque​

The eruption continues with lava fountains from the new vent that opened last night and continuing lava flow emission. During the past hours, volcanic tremor has increased significantly, suggesting that output rate has increased or something else is changing. It will probably become clearer in the next hours what is happening.

The advance of the fronts have slowed down and they remained at approx. 1 km from the shore, due to the fact that the flow fronts are now in less steep terrain, which causes them to widen significantly as well rather than progress. However, they are now slowly advancing through the town of Todoque, destroying it.

The 1,200 residents from Todoque had no choice than to gather as much of their belongings and now can only watch as houses, streets, gardens are covered meter by meter by the advancing lava flows.

Last night, activity noticeably increased from the second vent that had opened the day before and quickly became the main one.

Lava fountains of several hundred meters height as well as large exploding lava bubbles were observed. The noise level of the eruption also increased.

"La Palma, Canary Islands: eruption and seismic crisis Sep 2021 - news and activity updates / VolcanoDiscovery" https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/lapalma/sep2021seismic-crisis/current-activity.html

Strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake at 649 km depth

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Original data wrongly calculated by automated algorithms triggered INPRES to issue a false alert about a major magnitude 9.5 quake near La Rioja, Argentina.

Date & time: Sep 9, 2001 01:46:40 UTC
Local time at epicenter: Saturday, Sep 8, 2001 10:46 pm (GMT -3)
Magnitude: 6
Depth: 649.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 30.86°S / 66.59°W↗ (Departamento de General Juan F. Quiroga, La Rioja, Argentina)
Antipode: 30.86°N / 113.41°E↗

Last edited:
During the past 24 hours, there were 6 quakes of magnitude 5.0 or above, 46 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 139 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 218 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 445 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.

Biggest quake today: 5.6 quake South Pacific Ocean, New Zealand, Sep 23, 2021 7:57 am (GMT +12) 18 hours ago
Most recent quake: 3.5 quake 82 Km Al Suroeste De Corinto, Nicaragua, 2021-09-23 07:38:30 7 minutes ago

Earthquakes Today: latest earthquakes worldwide during the past 24 hours on Thursday, September 23, 2021 - list, stats and interactive map

Sputnik reported on the deletion. Full article below. They state they don't know what caused the error but will update when they do. There were no personal reports about the quake so it seems that it didn't happen.

Maybe it's a simple error or mistake, or maybe something else is going on that's triggering the seismographs. I guess we'll see if this starts happening more often.

For the record, it happened again: A report of an M9.5 in Argentina, downgraded to an M6 and then the alert was removed altogether. I've been following quake activity for a few years and i don't remember this happening before, and so it's especially strange that it happens twice in such a short time. However, maybe i just missed it and this has happened before?

Since it's highly unlikely that an M9.5 quake could be covered up, as some have suggested, it seems to me that something is triggering the seismographs, and for now i'm thinking that perhaps it's related to some cosmic effect/electrical surges of some kind (i have no how or what it could be!), although perhaps even a hack attack could explain it.

Note that it's not a case of them getting the quake's strength wrong, it's that no quake happened, a fact backed up by the official data and citizen reporting in both cases.

Strange Sounds reported on the incident with screen shots, the full article is posted below:

They are clearly manipulating the data: M9.5 earthquake in Argentina downgraded to M6.0 before completely disappearing from the maps​

Sep 23, 2021

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://strangesounds.org/2021/09/argentina-earthquake-deleted-from-maps.html
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=They+are+clearly+manipulating+the+data:+M9.5+earthquake+in+Argentina+downgraded+to+M6.0+before+completely+disappearing+from+the+maps&url=https://strangesounds.org/2021/09/argentina-earthquake-deleted-from-maps.html&via=Strange+Sounds
https://pinterest.com/pin/create/bu... the maps in Argentina on September 23, 2021.
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=https://strangesounds.org/2021/09/argentina-earthquake-deleted-from-maps.html&title=They+are+clearly+manipulating+the+data:+M9.5+earthquake+in+Argentina+downgraded+to+M6.0+before+completely+disappearing+from+the+maps
https://reddit.com/submit?url=https://strangesounds.org/2021/09/argentina-earthquake-deleted-from-maps.html&title=They+are+clearly+manipulating+the+data:+M9.5+earthquake+in+Argentina+downgraded+to+M6.0+before+completely+disappearing+from+the+maps

M9.5 earthquake downgraded to M6.0 and then M4.7 earthquake by USGSM9.5 earthquake downgraded to M6.0 and then M4.7 earthquake by USGS

A powerful M9.5 earthquake hit La Rioja, Argentina at a depth of 649km (403 miles) on September 23, 2021, around 12:18 UTC (or 9:18 local time). At least this is what everyone thought at the beginning…

Just a few minutes later, what would have been one of the most powerful earthquake ever measured on Earth, was deleted by the Chilean Geological Survey:
M9.5 earthquake deleted on September 23, 2021M9.5 earthquake deleted on September 23, 2021

But wait, the saga is not finished yet.
5 minutes later, another alert from Volcano Discovery says the exact same quake is now a M6.0:
M9.5 earthquake downgraded to M6.0 earthquake in Argentina on September 23 2021M9.5 earthquake downgraded to M6.0 earthquake in Argentina on September 23, 2021
Again, this M6.0 quake was deleted, or better said ‘manually revised’ by seismologists:

Argentina earthquake deleted on September 23Argentina earthquake deleted on September 23, 2021
Now if you look at the USGS earthquake map and you zoom on Argentina, there are currently no earthquakes shown… Not a single one!
Argentina earthquake September 23 2021No earthquakes in Argentina on September 23, 2021 according to USGS

So what the heck guys!?! Are you playing with our nerves? Are you manipulating the data? [Facebook]

Kept an eye on the earthquake watch channel yesterday (23rd) and for a few minutes I captured these five red upside down triangles on screen which supposedly may be indicating readings from dormant volcanoes. I am not aware of any such in Australia. At the same time you might notice the flashing red/orange circles indicating current earthquake readings in Indonesia and NZ.

Not sure what to make of it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following quake activity for a few years and i don't remember this happening before, and so it's especially strange that it happens twice in such a short time. However, maybe i just missed it and this has happened before?

FWIW, dutchsinse on YT has noted this on a few occasions although he doesn’t really offer much explanation other than the possibility of new type of wave that’s undetectable (VLF type).

for now i'm thinking that perhaps it's related to some cosmic effect/electrical surges of some kind

This seems very plausible to me especially with the accounts of strange sounds.

Sep 24, 2021

🤔

This morning they asked me about the seismicity of the last days and if it had changed a lot since the eruption I believe this graph of events in the seismic catalog of the @IGNSpain it's quite intuitive Source :http://ign.es/web/resources/
Ferromagnesian minerals such as magnetite and hematite, present in volcanic ash, create this curious phenomenon.#LaPalma

Since it's highly unlikely that an M9.5 quake could be covered up, as some have suggested, it seems to me that something is triggering the seismographs, and for now i'm thinking that perhaps it's related to some cosmic effect/electrical surges of some kind (i have no how or what it could be!), although perhaps even a hack attack could explain it.

Note that it's not a case of them getting the quake's strength wrong, it's that no quake happened, a fact backed up by the official data and citizen reporting in both cases.

Strange Sounds reported on the incident with screen shots, the full article is posted below

This seems very plausible to me especially with the accounts of strange sounds.

My thoughts exactly...

When meteor exploded over Zagreb, my friend said it felt like an earthquake and shook the apartment.
Accompanying shockwave was strong enough to show up on seismographs as an earthquake (no one said how high), also there were reports of a loud sonic boom.

But to trigger M9,5 - that must have been some big object... :umm:

Back
Top Bottom