Maybe getting a dog – any advice?

I'm surprised to read such a snide reply from a member of this forum. I guess it was intended as a joke but I didn't find it funny at all.
I didn't read that as snide, aragorn. All my dogs have been "mutts" (lab mixes) and have been "rescued" in various ways. My current girl, Lena, is a lab mix. We got her when someone dumped her off at a groomer. She is a wonderful dog.

"Mutts" have a lot going for them.

There are rescue agencies as well as animal shelters that have all sorts of dogs that need homes. They often have "play" areas where you can meet dogs and see how well they mix with your family.

Check out Dr. Becker's take on mutts If These Pets Could Talk, They’d Beg You to Do This

Whichever way you go, best wishes for a new loving family member!

I'm surprised to read such a snide reply from a member of this forum. I guess it was intended as a joke but I didn't find it funny at all.
I'm not sure he meant offence and I definitely bwouldnt taken it as a snide comment. maybe RS can explain what he meant.

I'm sorry to hear about your Boxer puppy, aragorn :hug2:I think rs could've expanded a bit more. Because he bolded "Minimizing any chances of hereditary health issues is a top priority" in your post, I took his post to mean that mutts may have less health issues (genetically) and therefore suggested taking a mutt. This article says:

Thanks to their mixed genes, mutts are less likely to have received a high dose of any particular breed’s genes. Because of this, many mutts have a lower rate of health conditions, such as hip dysplasia, spinal diseases, knee problems, certain cancers, heart disease, and more, than their purebred counterparts. This results in less specialized care and lower veterinary costs.
Though I think some breeds could be fine too, and a raw diet and regular checks could make a difference.

I think it's wonderful you are considering getting a dog with your family, Aragorn. There's a funny quote about dogs and kids that goes "When your kids are teenagers, make sure you have a dog, so when you come home, someone is happy to see you." :-) It's so true too. Maybe not the grumpy teenager part, but it sure is humbling when you walk in the door to find your pup dancing around like you've been gone forever. The amount of love and affection they give is a gift. I was thinking in an effort to gather more information on the Schnauzer, you could reach out to a few breeders to ask more specific questions like temperament and requirements for exercise since they are considered a working dog. Their feedback might help you decide if the breed is the right fit for your family and lifestyle. Also, a breeder should be able to provide references so maybe you could also speak to families who own one. I do like their look, so distinguished with the whiskers. Just some thoughts, FWIW. Wishing you all the best on this new adventure.

Okay, I probably got 'lost in translation' trying to understand the intent. It appears that 'mutt' means a good thing. :-)
"rescue" means go to a local animal shelter and choose a dog that may be scheduled for euthanasia. (The best cat I ever had was an adult rescue. I adopted him one day before he was scheduled to be put down. I always believed he genuinely realized that he had been rescued from certain death - a long story for another time.)

"mutt" was by no means intended to be either humorous or snide, despite the smiley. In this case it means "a dog with a variety of parentage and lineage and not belonging to any specific breed". The problem with purebreds is that they are INbread. This causes the kinds of issues you experienced. A dog with a broad genetic background is not likely (although its not impossible) to have genetic anomalies because the anomalies tend to be recessive.

Plus rescuing a "mutt" from a shelter just feels good. The dog will genuinely appreciate it, I promise you.

Also, you can easily do a google search for the temperament of various breeds to help you choose. There is lots of information in the "interweb" (<- that was a joke).

If you get a dog please get a rescue from a shelter.

One of my dogs, I kind of researched a little about the breed I wanted, and the other dog I found in a store parking lot someone was selling. I thought of getting my dog a dog companion, and by chance I happened upon someone with a litter of pups.
I was able to select from 5 or 6 puppies in each case. I looked at all the choices - colors, size, behavior, ect. That might help, because they have different personalities.

Another thing...

Puppies like to follow you around, and being that they are new to you, and their small size, you might forget they are there. And you might go somewhere, or they get loose, and they can accidentally get run over. You'll probably step on them a few times for that same reason, until they learn the dangers.

So be careful with them until they get a sense of things.

I'm sorry to hear about your Boxer puppy, aragorn :hug2:I think rs could've expanded a bit more. Because he bolded "Minimizing any chances of hereditary health issues is a top priority" in your post, I took his post to mean that mutts may have less health issues (genetically) and therefore suggested taking a mutt. This article says:

Though I think some breeds could be fine too, and a raw diet and regular checks could make a difference.
A bit off topic, but after reading your post and double-checking, I realized that my newly installed Brave browser (which I've been using for a week or so) does not show any bolded text on any site. Also, I can't see anything I'm bolding (just bolded that word, can't see any change, is it bolded for you?) while writing something. So, that's one of the reasons I didn't quite get the drift of the post.

I tried to look at Brave's font settings, but couldn't find a solution. I appreciate if someone knows a solution to this. Maybe it's some kind of security setting?

A bit off topic, but after reading your post and double-checking, I realized that my newly installed Brave browser (which I've been using for a week or so) does not show any bolded text on any site. Also, I can't see anything I'm bolding (just bolded that word, can't see any change, is it bolded for you?) while writing something. So, that's one of the reasons I didn't quite get the drift of the post.

I tried to look at Brave's font settings, but couldn't find a solution. I appreciate if someone knows a solution to this. Maybe it's some kind of security setting?
I can see your bolding. I don't think it is a Brave problem. I use Brave and can see when I make text bold or italic, as soon as I type here.

Use Vivaldi, I have both Vivaldi and Brave and after trying both, I now use Vivaldi.

Reactions: Meg
Back
Top Bottom