Seizure in cats ?

Maat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Something strange just happened. One of my cat (9 years old) was sleeping on the sofa and suddenly get up, very suddenly !, but then he rolled up like he was not able to stand on his legs, and then gone hidden under the bed in our room. I didn't see him, it's my husband who told me what he saw. For me it's was just suddenly a lot of noise because the cat, in his course, made several things falling. He seems OK now, just afraid, and not willing to go back in the living room. My first impulse has been to burn some salva. And it's clear that he will go to the vet Monday. My other cat was sleeping next and just followed him to "see" what happened. Like they're always do when something happens to one of them. My husband really fear it was an epileptic crisis. I'm not so sure because it happened to me to wake up suddenly and being dizzy, so to speak, not very able to move normally. But again, I didn't see him. And now, I have a fear, because tomorrow it's Sunday, and I had several emergencies with cats on Sunday or nights, that is when vets are not open !

So, how is an epileptic crisis in cats ? Can it be just maybe 15 seconds ?

Now he's just fearful of something, but it's a really fearful cat at all times.

Hi Maat, hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment soon. I just did a quick internet search about cats having seizures and it seems that if they are having a short seizure of 1- 2 minutes with a break in between, then you should get them to the vet as soon as possible. If they are having back to back seizures over a period of time then veterinary treatment is more urgent and the cat needs to be taken to a vet immediately.

It's scary to think that you may not be able to get into a vet sooner, and it might be an idea to find out if any local vets have an after hours service. You might pay a bit more to have your cat seen to, it could make the difference if the condition is going to deteriorate. There are a number of reasons why a cat might be having seizures and without knowing exactly what caused it, I'd be inclined to get them to the vet ASAP if at all possible.

I hope your kitty will be OK.

Hi Maat, I have often noticed similar things in my cat. However, she is already 16 years old. I notice signs of dementia in their behavior. Sudden, reflex movements. This could explain your cat's behavior. The second thing that occurred to me is that our 2D friends can be victims of attachments. Unfortunately. I hope your cat gets better soon. All the best.

Really, I don't know if it was just some nightmare (given cats can have some too, and I'm inclined to think so), because, half an hour later, he went to eat, avoid the the living room, but now, slowly, but surely, he came back on his place on the sofa.

In fact, I would like to know what could be other signs of seizures, if there are.

And @Jones oh yes, unfortunately, I have experience of these situations, but at least, now, I know that there are some "pet taxis". What a lot of stress... but I've always managed (since now !)

And thanks for all for you who have answered.

@gottathink could you expand more ?

Something strange just happened. One of my cat (9 years old) was sleeping on the sofa and suddenly get up, very suddenly !, but then he rolled up like he was not able to stand on his legs, and then gone hidden under the bed in our room. I didn't see him, it's my husband who told me what he saw. For me it's was just suddenly a lot of noise because the cat, in his course, made several things falling. He seems OK now, just afraid, and not willing to go back in the living room. My first impulse has been to burn some salva. And it's clear that he will go to the vet Monday. My other cat was sleeping next and just followed him to "see" what happened. Like they're always do when something happens to one of them. My husband really fear it was an epileptic crisis. I'm not so sure because it happened to me to wake up suddenly and being dizzy, so to speak, not very able to move normally. But again, I didn't see him. And now, I have a fear, because tomorrow it's Sunday, and I had several emergencies with cats on Sunday or nights, that is when vets are not open !

So, how is an epileptic crisis in cats ? Can it be just maybe 15 seconds ?

Now he's just fearful of something, but it's a really fearful cat at all times.
In any case try and be very calm about it. Our cats are in more trouble when we are feeling scared and worried! And its a full moon and they sometimes tend to get agitated by it.

My cat (shes now 10+years old) had a "screaming episode" 2-3 years ago after she ran around playing and I found her meowing like crazy and unable to move with her eyes popping out in a closet on one of my rucksacks. It was like she was hit by a car or attacked. Very scary. I picked her up and put her in her bed and she was fine and calmed down after 20-30minutes. She calmed down and after 3-4 hours was wanting to eat. I didnt take her to the vet and Im happy I decided not to. I suspected it was possibly a nerological disorder caused by her hitting herself or a side-effect of that chemical our vets make us put on them for ticks and flies. I was using that crap on her for 2 years maybe and once she even managed to lick it and was having some sort of an attack salivating like crazy. When this screaming/paralysis episode happened I already wasnt using that for couple of years. I found some good neem colars that I used on her at that time. In last 2 years Im not using even that (because pet-shops here arent importing that brand anymore... too cheap and too effective I guess... they import all kinds of chemical and un-effective colars and one of these colars even made her itch and scratch like crazy and she got flies from somewhere, and it was such a huge infestation I had to go to the vet... So I had to bathe her in a soap thats made for that purpose... and Im not letting her out in the garden anymore. And this is the 5th vet in her life! First 4 were awfull! When I took her in from the street and I was a noob with cat-owning the first vet we found billed me for trying to operate on her and opening her up when she was already neutered. He said he couldnt see the scar even after he shaved her belly!! And she was only 2-3 years old, can you imagine that? A lying douchebag!

Shes a 100%indoor kitty for last 5 years or so. And shes better than ever before... thank God. I think that stress is the greatest enemy to cats. If they dont get stressed out in some way than they have a great chance at being fine. And chemicals and vets are stress!

I have a huge issue with vets and the way they do things. Most of them are worse than human doctors in my experience and its really hard to find a good veterinary spot. They REALLY like a returning (addicted) customer. I think that going to vet should be our last resort, when you really dont have any other option and the cat is not getting better after the second day. Its the same as with us. Once you have to go to a hospital chances are that you will have even more health issues. But thats my personal experience and Im not saying that you completely avoid going to the vet.

I hope everything will be fine and your kitty will tommorow be like nothing has happened. Good luck!

Last edited:
In any case try and be very calm about it. Our cats are in more trouble when we are feeling scared and worried! And its a full moon and they sometimes tend to get agitated by it.

My cat (shes now 10+years old) had a "screaming episode" 2-3 years ago after she ran around playing and I found her meowing like crazy and unable to move with her eyes popping out in a closet on one of my rucksacks. It was like she was hit by a car or attacked. Very scary. I picked her up and put her in her bed and she was fine and calmed down after 20-30minutes. She calmed down and after 3-4 hours was wanting to eat. I didnt take her to the vet and Im happy I decided not to. I suspected it was possibly a nerological disorder caused by her hitting herself or a side-effect of that chemical our vets make us put on them for ticks and flies. I was using that crap on her for 2 years maybe and once she even managed to lick it and was having some sort of an attack salivating like crazy. When this screaming/paralysis episode happened I already wasnt using that for couple of years. I found some good neem colars that I used on her at that time. In last 2 years Im not using even that (because pet-shops here arent importing that brand anymore... too cheap and too effective I guess... they import all kinds of chemical and un-effective colars and one of these colars even made her itch and scratch like crazy and she got flies from somewhere, and it was such a huge infestation I had to go to the vet... So I had to bathe her in a soap thats made for that purpose... and Im not letting her out in the garden anymore. And this is the 5th vet in her life! First 4 were awfull! When I took her in from the street and I was a noob with cat-owning the first vet we found billed me for trying to operate on her and opening her up when she was already neutered. He said he couldnt see the scar even after he shaved her belly!! And she was only 2-3 years old, can you imagine that? A lying douchebag!

Shes a 100%indoor kitty for last 5 years or so. And shes better than ever before... thank God. I think that stress is the greatest enemy to cats. If they dont get stressed out in some way than they have a great chance at being fine. And chemicals and vets are stress!

I have a huge issue with vets and the way they do things. Most of them are worse than human doctors in my experience and its really hard to find a good veterinary spot. They REALLY like a returning (addicted) customer. I think that going to vet should be our last resort, when you really dont have any other option and the cat is not getting better after the second day. Its the same as with us. Once you have to go to a hospital chances are that you will have even more health issues. But thats my personal experience and Im not saying that you completely avoid going to the vet.

I hope everything will be fine and your kitty will tommorow be like nothing has happened. Good luck!
Oh yeah, I understand what you say! I even think that 30 years ago my cat died of that. It was the early years of those pipettes. We put on him, there was rain and he returned all wet, go to sleep, and never woke up again... at least it was a gentle death...

Oh yeah, I understand what you say! I even think that 30 years ago my cat died of that. It was the early years of those pipettes. We put on him, there was rain and he returned all wet, go to sleep, and never woke up again... at least it was a gentle death...
Sometimes its really sad and horrible what we have to go through in this kind of world @Maat .. How many lives have been lost so that some rich bastard can get even richer :curse: ... And whats making me angry is that these vets who are all driving expensive cars and have big houses dont set up shelters for stray animals! Same as churches that have removed charity boxes for poor almost 15 years ago here in Croatia. AAAARGH!

Sometimes its really sad and horrible what we have to go through in this kind of world @Maat .. How many lives have been lost so that some rich bastard can get even richer :curse: ... And whats making me angry is that these vets who are all driving expensive cars and have big houses dont set up shelters for stray animals! Same as churches that have removed charity boxes for poor almost 15 years ago here in Croatia. AAAARGH!

Now, I've encountered bad vets, like bad doctors, but next to me, I've encountered a good vet too, and what a relief... A really good man. So, just don't be so "black and white" and I hope you will encounter good people too!

Now, I've encountered bad vets, like bad doctors, but next to me, I've encountered a good vet too, and what a relief... A really good man. So, just don't be so "black and white" and I hope you will encounter good people too!
I have found one that seems honest and I percieve him as a good guy.. Thats that 5th one I was telling you about. But it was a long journey and a lot of money spent while my cat got more stress. And Im aware that I seem all B&W but Im really not. Im a stubborn DIY kinda guy because my experience is like that. And many times life has showed me it is a better way for me. After struggling I always manage to come out of it and have a new knowledge under my belt! In many different areas... Thats that "If it doesnt kill me it makes me stronger" approach. I picked that up quite early and I always found it comforting no matter what hardship I had to go through. Once I go "through the thorns" and I stay alive I always feel like a double winner :-D.

Really, I don't know if it was just some nightmare (given cats can have some too, and I'm inclined to think so), because, half an hour later, he went to eat, avoid the the living room, but now, slowly, but surely, he came back on his place on the sofa.

In fact, I would like to know what could be other signs of seizures, if there are.

And @Jones oh yes, unfortunately, I have experience of these situations, but at least, now, I know that there are some "pet taxis". What a lot of stress... but I've always managed (since now !)

And thanks for all for you who have answered.

@gottathink could you expand more ?
I recall reading a study a while ago about amino acid deficiency in cats. I’m sorry I can’t find it again.
In looking for this info again I did come across:
Arginine deficiency causes a build up of ammonia which can cause seizures.
Tyrosine and phenylalanine deficiency causes neurological problems.
Taurine deficiency can cause cardiomyopathy.

I feed my cat a raw diet of a variety of while animal meats so she gets a full complement of amino acids.
I hope that helps a bit.

Also have you thought about the possible effects of preservatives and melamine additives that are usually in pet foods. For a small animal like a cat I can’t imagine they can handle this toxic load very well. And it builds up over time.

I have a friend who was a vet. She became a pet nutritionist because she observed most health problems in cats and dogs could be corrected by diet.
In cats they are pure carnivores. Carbohydrates increases feline stomach pH. With this decreased stomach acidity they no longer destroy ingested pathogens and parasites. This supports further infestations of fleas and other parasites.
So it’s a vicious circle of poor quality food, poor health, and reliance on the veterinary pharmacological system.

Hi Maat.

I had a young cat who had a seizure. It turned out she'd been stung by a bee in her chest. She was an indoor/outdoor cat, and it happened to her outside.

Anyway, it's another possibility that I thought I'd share with you. Since they have fur, you don't always see things like bee stings.

Something strange just happened. One of my cat (9 years old) was sleeping on the sofa and suddenly get up, very suddenly !, but then he rolled up like he was not able to stand on his legs, and then gone hidden under the bed in our room.

Sorry this happened to your kitty. :hug2: I think the best thing is indeed to take him to the vet and do a full neurological examination. If it is a first instance, and there are no other instances, and the cat is aware and can move around, than you could wait until Monday, but search for emergency clinic in your area just in case.

As for the possible reasons, this could be determined after a thorough examination, and even after that the reason for seizures in cats often remains a mystery. MRI test may shed some light, but often not.

There are some things you can do or give your kitty in order to minimize the chances of the next seizure, but better go to the vet first.

Also read the following page. Not sure if kitty was startled by a sound, but as you can see, that it can be even a clicking of an owner’s tongue. So just take a look and it may give you some idea. Or it could be something else. 🤷‍♀️.

Good luck and keep us posted! :hug2:

Back
Top Bottom