Recommended Books: Discussion

Hello Gandalf,

J’ai acheté celui-ci : Ressler: Whoever Fights Monsters en format kindle en faisant des copié-collé pour le traduire, je n’ai pu que lire 11%, le reste était bloqué par les droits d’auteur.
J’aimerai savoir si ceux de Raine et Samenow le sont aussi ? Avant de les acheter.

I bought this one: Ressler: Whoever Fights Monsters in kindle format by doing copy and paste to translate it, I could only read 11%, the rest was blocked by copyright.
I'd like to know if Raine and Samenow's are, too? Before you buy them.

Christine said:
Hello Gandalf,

J’ai acheté celui-ci : Ressler: Whoever Fights Monsters en format kindle en faisant des copié-collé pour le traduire, je n’ai pu que lire 11%, le reste était bloqué par les droits d’auteur.
J’aimerai savoir si ceux de Raine et Samenow le sont aussi ? Avant de les acheter.

I bought this one: Ressler: Whoever Fights Monsters in kindle format by doing copy and paste to translate it, I could only read 11%, the rest was blocked by copyright.
I'd like to know if Raine and Samenow's are, too? Before you buy them.

Hi Christine,

I tried to copy and paste one of my kindle books and it does not work.

Thank you Gandalf for trying, :)

But what do you mean by "it does not work"? That it is also blocked to a number of page copy and paste by copyright?

Christine said:

But what do you mean by "it does not work"? That it is also blocked to a number of page copy and paste by copyright?

I mean that I can not even copy one single page from my Kindle's web application.

Gandalf said:
Christine said:

I mean that I can not even copy one single page from my Kindle's web application.

Apparently there is a way to copy and paste text from Kindle but it is rather fiddly and can be used for personal purposes only:

_https://ctrlq.org/help/140-copy-paste-text-from-kindle-books-to-a-word-document
_http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8554857_copy-text-kindle-book.html

christine, if you are curious and put the author's name on amazon france's search tool, you'll see that some of the recommended books are in french too! R. Ressler, L. Heller, Timothy Wilson, Carr are in french. :)

Gandalf said:
Christine said:

Ils sont plus restrictifs chez vous ou alors chez nous ils sont juste un peu plus vicieux en nous donnant un peu de miettes.

They are more restrictive with you or they are just a little bit more vicious by giving us some crumbs. :) ;)

Ant22 said:
Gandalf said:
Christine said:

Apparently there is a way to copy and paste text from Kindle but it is rather fiddly and can be used for personal purposes only:

_https://ctrlq.org/help/140-copy-paste-text-from-kindle-books-to-a-word-document
_http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8554857_copy-text-kindle-book.html

Merci Ant22 pour les liens,
Effectivement c’est un peu compliqué, j’ai l’appli kindle gratuit et il y a des applications, donné sur le deuxième lien, que je ne peux pas utiliser.

Thank you Ant22 for the links, :)
Indeed it's a bit complicated, I have the free kindle app and there are applications, given on the second link, that I can't use.

nature said:
christine, if you are curious and put the author's name on amazon france's search tool, you'll see that some of the recommended books are in french too! R. Ressler, L. Heller, Timothy Wilson, Carr are in french. :)

Merci nature, :)
Je suis curieuse, mais celui de R.Ressler «Whoever Fights Monsters » n’est pas en français.
L.Heller : je le reçois samedi 25
Je voulais lire Raine et Samenow et cela ne sont pas non plus en français

Thanks nature,
I'm curious, but R. Ressler's "Whoever Fights Monsters" is not in French.
L. Heller: I receive it on Saturday 25
I wanted to read Raine and Samenow and it's not in French either.

Christine said:
nature said:

Merci nature, :)
Je suis curieuse, mais celui de R.Ressler «Whoever Fights Monsters » n’est pas en français.
L.Heller : je le reçois samedi 25
Je voulais lire Raine et Samenow et cela ne sont pas non plus en français

Thanks nature,
I'm curious, but R. Ressler's "Whoever Fights Monsters" is not in French.
L. Heller: I receive it on Saturday 25
I wanted to read Raine and Samenow and it's not in French either.

Et si, le voici: https://www.amazon.fr/Chasseur-tueurs-Robert-Ressler/dp/2258036399/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518879281&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+ressler
monsters in this context are the killers . So, in french, it's "chasseur de tueurs"

Raine and Samenow are not available in french but Raine is not difficult to read. I have Raine's 2 books in paper book (not electronic) and I write (in margin) the words in french when I don't know them.
Samenow: don't read it yet.

Raine et samenow ne sont pas disponibles en français, mais Raine n'est pas difficile à lire. J'ai ses 2 livres en format papier (non électronique) et je mets au crayon (dans la marge) le sens en français pour les mots que je ne connais pas.
Samenow, je ne saurais te dire, ne l'ayant pas encore lu.

Et si, le voici: https://www.amazon.fr/Chasseur-tueurs-Robert-Ressler/dp/2258036399/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518879281&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+ressler
monsters in this context are the killers . So, in french, it's "chasseur de tueurs"

Raine and Samenow are not available in french but Raine is not difficult to read. I have Raine's 2 books in paper book (not electronic) and I write (in margin) the words in french when I don't know them.
Samenow: don't read it yet.

Raine et samenow ne sont pas disponibles en français, mais Raine n'est pas difficile à lire. J'ai ses 2 livres en format papier (non électronique) et je mets au crayon (dans la marge) le sens en français pour les mots que je ne connais pas.
Samenow, je ne saurais te dire, ne l'ayant pas encore lu.
[/quote]

Le contenu ne peut pas être exactement comme celui de « Whoever Fights Monsters » avec un titre et une couverture différente, pour moi ça n’a pas de sens.

The content can't be exactly like "Whoever Fights Monsters" with a different title and cover, for me it doesn't make sense.

Pour Raine, Il n’y aurait pas assez de place dans la marge pour écrire tous les mots que je ne connais pas :D

For Raine, there wouldn't be enough room in the margin to write all the words I don't know.

Christine said:
Le contenu ne peut pas être exactement comme celui de « Whoever Fights Monsters » avec un titre et une couverture différente, pour moi ça n’a pas de sens.

The content can't be exactly like "Whoever Fights Monsters" with a different title and cover, for me it doesn't make sense.

When searching for the translation of a book, a very useful tool is the Bibliothèque National de France website. For this case, it says :

Auteur(s) : Ressler, Robert K. (1937-2013)
Voir les notices liées en tant qu'auteur

Titre(s) : Chasseur de tueurs [Texte imprimé] / Robert K. Ressler ; [avec la collab. de] Tom Shachtman ; [trad. de l'américain par Alexis Champon]

Traduction de : Whoever fights monsters

Publication : Paris : Presses de la cité, 1993

_http://catalogue.bnf.fr/index.do

And you know, High Strangeness has been translated in French with the title Ces mondes qui nous gouvernent, so ... (Though I don't know the history behind this choice) :)

Christine said:

Pour Raine, Il n’y aurait pas assez de place dans la marge pour écrire tous les mots que je ne connais pas :D

For Raine, there wouldn't be enough room in the margin to write all the words I don't know.
You have a Robert Reissler's book available in french, and you don't want of it? :shock:
Above all, it's up to you.

Do you know "système 1 système 2" from T. Wilson? It's the translation from "thinking fact, thinking slow": it's not the same title, not the same cover but it's the same book!!

For Raine, I don't have other solution. Maybe there is an application or a software that gives the translation of words when you clic on the word (on kindle format)? I don't know.

incredible Maat, we've posted the same idea (about titles) at the same hour (and second !) :D

edit: sorry I made mistake on the exact hour

nature said:
For Raine, I don't have other solution. Maybe there is an application or a software that gives the translation of words when you clic on the word (on kindle format)? I don't know.

Indeed, you can do that on your personal kindle. You just have to download the free kindle English-French dictionary et Voilà, you click on the English word that you don't understand and the dictionary gives you the French translation.

Back
Top Bottom