Dave McGowan

Aaron r

Jedi Master
Hi All, this may have already been posted but just visited Dave's site and he has metastatic small cell lung cancer. It has spread to his liver and bones. I wish him well.

aaron r said:
Hi All, this may have already been posted but just visited Dave's site and he has metastatic small cell lung cancer. It has spread to his liver and bones. I wish him well.

I wonder if the hateful way he dealt with anyone who disagreed with him was a factor.

Palinurus said:
I wonder if the hateful way he dealt with anyone who disagreed with him was a factor.

It easily could well have been the other way around, I think.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

What you perceived as the hateful way he dealt with anyone who disagreed with him could have been a form of short-tempered impatience with somebody persistent due to his illness and the awareness of a dying man that time is running out and too short anyway to squander it in useless 'niceties' .

Therefor his behavior is seen as a consequence of his illness rather than as one of the causes of it.

That's what I meant with my remark. Apologies if it was too cryptic to be understood at first sight.

Palinurus said:
What you perceived as the hateful way he dealt with anyone who disagreed with him could have been a form of short-tempered impatience with somebody persistent due to his illness and the awareness of a dying man that time is running out and too short anyway to squander it in useless 'niceties' .

Therefor his behavior is seen as a consequence of his illness rather than as one of the causes of it.

That's what I meant with my remark. Apologies if it was too cryptic to be understood at first sight.

Thanks. Don't think it was that though because what I am referring to happened long before he was aware of his illness.

aaron r said:
Could well be. I was very disappointed with how he spoke about Sott and yourself.

It wasn't just us, others who pointed out his wild imagination over the Boston bombings were publicly called "f**ktards" in his responses along with other "colorful" language. He really came across as a pretty obnoxious and rude person. I often wondered about his book on serial killers "Programmed to kill" and if he stared too long and too intently into that abyss.

Perceval said:
aaron r said:
Could well be. I was very disappointed with how he spoke about Sott and yourself.

It wasn't just us, others who pointed out his wild imagination over the Boston bombings were publicly called "f**ktards" in his responses along with other "colorful" language. He really came across as a pretty obnoxious and rude person. I often wondered about his book on serial killers "Programmed to kill" and if he stared too long and too intently into that abyss.

As the Cs once said: "Paranoia will destroya."

They also said: "It is just as dangerous and just as useless to "see" conspiracy in everything as it is to "see" conspiracy in nothing. We tire of conspiracy "buffs." They are nutty, and serve as perfect false sponsors to those who really DO seek to conduct widespread mental/psychic manipulations and control."

And: " Also, false information is worse than no information at all."

All the problems that Lobaczewski describes as stemming from the "natural ego" seem to be in play here. It is just that factor that the Work on the self seeks to correct in the reading instrument. And, as we pretty well know, it can't be done without a network.

Over and over and over again we observe researchers, seekers, commentators, who come along and get involved in finding answers to mysteries of reality, only to go over the edge because of ego and lack of network. That is, a person MUST have a pretty clear understanding of their machine and its weaknesses, have done all they can to correct those weaknesses, and for the ones that cannot be corrected (and there are some - it's part of being human), rely on a good network, before they venture in where angels fear to tread.

Thanks for the additional clarifications, Perceval and Laura. Learned something here.

I reacted emotionally on only a hunch, without full awareness of all aspects of the interactions. :-[

Laura said:
As the Cs once said: "Paranoia will destroya."

They also said: "It is just as dangerous and just as useless to "see" conspiracy in everything s it is to "see" conspiracy in nothing. We tire of conspiracy "buffs." They are nutty, and serve as perfect false sponsors to those who really DO seek to conduct widespread mental/psychic manipulations and control."

And: " Also, false information is worse than no information at all."

All the problems that Lobaczewski describes as stemming from the "natural ego" seem to be in play here. It is just that factor that the Work on the self seeks to correct in the reading instrument. And, as we pretty well know, it can't be done without a network.

Over and over and over again we observe researchers, seekers, commentators, who come along and get involved in finding answers to mysteries of reality, only to go over the edge because of ego and lack of network. That is, a person MUST have a pretty clear understanding of their machine and its weaknesses, have done all they can to correct those weaknesses, and for the ones that cannot be corrected (and there are some - it's part of being human), rely on a good network, before they venture in where angels fear to tread.

I'm not familiar with this specific case, but I just thought about how things like that can happen, since it wasn't immediately clear to me. Maybe it's because once you stare at the beast and realize what a cruel madhouse this world really is, you basically have three options: You engage in serious self-work, humbly realize that you don't know yourself and what "makes you tick" at all, get in touch with your feelings, learn how to control your three centers at least to a certain extend and achieve some balance, OR you create/reinforce a buffer that keeps you from going mad from paranoia, OR you give in to madness. So maybe the ego thing is one example of such a buffer - you start thinking that you "know it all", are "invincible" and superior to everyone else, kind of "I'm the master, nobody can do anything to me! (mad laughter)". So when someone questions that, for example by questioning something you wrote/said, backed up with facts, you MUST react strongly, since your very buffer that keeps you from the abyss is endangered.

But then, I don't remember the "natural ego" concept, maybe I should reread that part of PP and see if this clarifies it. Fwiw

I enjoyed the "Laurel Canyon Series," and was quite shocked and puzzled by his "Boston Bombing" articles and even how he responded to people. Talk about going over the edge. Then it seems like until this thread I haven't heard another word about him. This world can certainly make you paranoid and drive you crazy and that only underlines why the work on the self and networking, especially having a forum like this is crucial. I didn't realize it in the beginning, but I appreciate it now and I believe it has helped me to weather the increasing storm we pass through everyday. I don't think Dave benefited from these factors and it is coming to the forefront.

findit said:
I enjoyed the "Laurel Canyon Series," and was quite shocked and puzzled by his "Boston Bombing" articles and even how he responded to people. Talk about going over the edge. Then it seems like until this thread I haven't heard another word about him. This world can certainly make you paranoid and drive you crazy and that only underlines why the work on the self and networking, especially having a forum like this is crucial. I didn't realize it in the beginning, but I appreciate it now and I believe it has helped me to weather the increasing storm we pass through everyday. I don't think Dave benefited from these factors and it is coming to the forefront.

Yeah, so true. We tried several times to reach out to Dave because it was pretty obvious that it was getting to him. But the ego was always there.

I agree with all that has been said here about Daves' obnoxious behaviour. It saddens me to see the situation he now faces. Most likely more of his own doing than he realises. There by the grace of God (and Sott) go I...

aaron r said:
I agree with all that has been said here about Daves' obnoxious behaviour. It saddens me to see the situation he now faces. Most likely more of his own doing than he realises. There by the grace of God (and Sott) go I...

Yeah, same here. Sad that he was not able to accept any constructive criticism or help. I really enjoyed the Laurel Canyon series too.

Back
Top Bottom