Mass Extinctions, Evolutionary Leaps, and the Virus-Information Connection

I thought this to be a little odd but I complied. Now when I returned to the library to read the book GUESS WHAT? The book was not on the shelf. I checked the system. The book no longer existed. Why would they remove this information from the eyes of the public?

As someone who works in a library the most likely reason is that the book was stolen. Theft of books from the library is a common thing sadly. This would account for the book not being there and it not appearing on the system. The other reasons would be that the book was damaged and is being repaired or has been found to have been given the wrong classification mark and is being re-classified. Those things however, should always appear on a record of the book on the library system so if the book doesn't appear it's likely it's been stolen. It may be worth asking a librarian for more information. Where I work we have a service where students can request a book to be bought to be added to our library collection maybe the library you went to does something similar? I hope this helps.

the reason you don't find books with "merit" in the library is because of the control system.

I have to agree with some of this sentiment. There has been alot of 'pruning' of books of certain subjects that have arisen in the past few years and it has only gotten worse under the whole 'decolonising' push. Certain authors and certain subjects are vanishing from library catalogues. Part of this is due to pressure to get people to use libraries in the first place, and then in the university sector where I work in there is the whole not offending students at all thing going on... The other factor is that the cost of books has risen dramatically while the library budgets to spend on books have not this leads to pressure to choose only those books that will be 'worth it' and this leaves out alot of the type of books that we here on this forum read. I have often considered sneakily adding some of Laura's books to our catalogue but it will be found out and I'll get into trouble :(

I have to agree with some of this sentiment. There has been alot of 'pruning' of books of certain subjects that have arisen in the past few years and it has only gotten worse under the whole 'decolonising' push. Certain authors and certain subjects are vanishing from library catalogues. Part of this is due to pressure to get people to use libraries in the first place, and then in the university sector where I work in there is the whole not offending students at all thing going on... The other factor is that the cost of books has risen dramatically while the library budgets to spend on books have not this leads to pressure to choose only those books that will be 'worth it' and this leaves out alot of the type of books that we here on this forum read. I have often considered sneakily adding some of Laura's books to our catalogue but it will be found out and I'll get into trouble :(
Does this not negate your rationalization about why the book disappeared in the first place? I highly doubt the book was stolen. The book was not in need of repair.

Chapter 16: Comets and Plagues, an Historical Perspective​

Since the dawn of history comets have been associated with plague and diseases. A series of books called the “Mawangdui Silk” was compiled in 300 BC but it list events as far back as 1,500 BC and describes in detail 29 different comet shapes and the kind of disasters, including plagues and other diseases, that they were believed to cause[1]:

Mawangdui Silk comets.jpg

© Public Domain
Excerpt from the Mawangdui Silk showing various comet shapes and their meaning

This association between comets and plagues was not circumscribed to China. In antiquity, most Western philosophers believed too that comets were causing pestilence[2] on Earth[3].

In the early middle Age this paradigm was still prevailing. One of the most learned person of his epoch, Venerable Bede[4] described comets in these terms:

Comets are stars with flames like hair. They are born suddenly, portending a change of royal power or plague or wars or winds or heat”.[5]

A few centuries later, Maimonides[6] established a similar association between plague and comets:

This same Maimonides was strong in belief that Plague visitations had invariably been preceded by ominous Celestial manifestations, such as Comets or changes in Planet movement.[7]

We find the same association between comets and plagues six centuries later in the work of the Noah Webster[8] who backed up his claim with detailed observations:

[A] number of violent plagues occurred, most of which coincided in time with the following phenomena, comets, eruptions of volcanoes, earthquakes, drought, severe winters, diseases among cattle[9]

Knowing that cometary activity is major cause of volcanism[10], the following quote is also revealing:

Of thirteen comets mentioned in the foregoing history, which are all whose dates I am able to ascertain, eight of them coincide with volcanic eruptions of Etna, the only volcano of any note, which the history of that period has recorded; and eleven of them coincide in time with pestilence. If we consider the scarcity of our materials for a history of these phenomena, at that period, and make due allowances for the uncertainty of chronology, we shall find reason to be surprised at such a number of these coincidences[11]

Along with volcanism, cometary activity can also cause earthquakes[12]. Webster noticed an uncanny correlation between earthquakes and pestilence:

The phenomenon most generally and closely connected with pestilence is an earthquake. From all the facts that I can find in history, I question whether an instance of a considerable plague in any country, can be mentioned, which has not been immediately preceded or accompanied with convulsions of the earth.[13]

In the following excerpt, Webster widens the scope of its association to include meteors with comets as causative agents and a series of infectious disease as consequences:

In every case, I believe this remark will be found true; that the approach of comets, and volcanic eruptions disturb the regular course of the seasons. The heat of summer and the cold of winter are in extremes; more snow is generated in winter, and more hail in summer; tempests are more violent and frequent; meteors more numerous, and rain more unequally distributed over the earth.
A series of epidemic diseases, measles, influenza, affections of the throat, followed by pestilential fevers, appear generally to commence and take their departure, from some of the great agitations of the elements above recited[14]

Among the diseases monitored by Webster is the Influenza, a viral infection. Out of 45 major influenza epidemics observed between 1174 and 1797, thirty instances occurred within the year, or a few months preceding or following the appearance of comets.[15]

So, for more than three millennia (1,500 BC to 1,800 AD), from China to America, from Maimonides to Webster the prevailing view was that comets and plagues were associated.

Halleys-Comet-1456.jpg
Association between comets and plagues

The rise of materialism and Darwinism has progressively erased this ancient knowledge associating comets and epidemics. Today only a few researchers like Fred Hoyle, Rhawn Gabriel Joseph, Wainwright and Chandra Wickramasinghe still defend this paradigm deemed by mainstream science as heretical.

Despite the on-going revision of history to present an uniformitarian paradigm, some past catastrophes have not been erased yet. It’s the case of the two most serious pandemics in recorded history: the Plague of Justinian (541AD-767AD) and the Black Death (1347AD-1850AD), let’s now study these two major plagues and see if they are associated with any cometary activity.

[1] Ling-feng, Yen (1976) “Mawangdui Boshu Laozi Shitan” Taipei
[2] A fatal epidemic disease, especially plague
[3] Hippocrates Junior (2019) “The Predicted Plague” Forgotten books P. 131
[4] 672 or 673 – 735 AD, also known as Saint Bede. Benedictine monk at the monastery of St. Peter in Northumbria. Considered as the most eminent writer and scholar of his epoch
[5] Kendall, Calvin et al. (2010) “Bede: On the Nature of Things and On Times” Liverpool University Press
[6] (1138–1204), Sephardic Jewish philosopher. One of the most influential Torah scholars
[7] Hippocrates, Junior (1900) “Predictable plagues” Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton
[8] (1758 – 1843) American textbook pioneer, spelling reformer, editor and author. Called “The Father of American Scholarship and Education"
[9] Webster, Noah (1799) “A brief history of epidemic and pestilential diseases” Hudson & Goodwin
[10] Lescaudron, 2021. Chapter “Correlation between Cometary Activity and Volcanic Activity”
[11] Webster, 1799 p.10
[12] Lescaudron, 2021, Op cit
[13] Webster, 1799, p.11
[14] Ibid, p.13
[15] Ibid, p.33

Despite the on-going revision of history to present an uniformitarian paradigm, some past catastrophes have not been erased yet. It’s the case of the two most serious pandemics in recorded history: the Plague of Justinian (541AD-767AD) and the Black Death (1347AD-1850AD), let’s now study these two major plagues and see if they are associated with any cometary activity.
That's great. Daniel Defoe in A Journal of the Plague Year (published in 1722) seems to be dismissive of comets as harbingers of something evil coming this way or at least that is how I understood it. I think it's interesting that "the old women and the phlegmatic hypochondriac part of the other sex" spotted two comets in the London sky that in their mind were linked to something terrible. In other words, they were people who kept an eye on the sky, intuiting that events (the plague and the great fire the year after) were related to cosmic activity?

But I must go back again to the beginning of this surprising time. While the fears of the people were young, they were increased strangely by several odd accidents which, put altogether, it was really a wonder the whole body of the people did not rise as one man and abandon their dwellings, leaving the place as a space of ground designed by Heaven for an Akeldama, doomed to be destroyed from the face of the earth, and that all that would be found in it would perish with it. I shall name but a few of these things; but sure they were so many, and so many wizards and cunning people propagating them, that I have often wondered there was any (women especially) left behind.

In the first place, a blazing star or comet appeared for several months before the plague, as there did the year after another, a little before the fire. The old women and the phlegmatic hypochondriac part of the other sex, whom I could almost call old women too, remarked (especially afterward, though not till both those judgements were over) that those two comets passed directly over the city, and that so very near the houses that it was plain they imported something peculiar to the city alone; that the comet before the pestilence was of a faint, dull, languid colour, and its motion very heavy, Solemn, and slow; but that the comet before the fire was bright and sparkling, or, as others said, flaming, and its motion swift and furious; and that, accordingly, one foretold a heavy judgement, slow but severe, terrible and frightful, as was the plague; but the other foretold a stroke, sudden, swift, and fiery as the conflagration. Nay, so particular some people were, that as they looked upon that comet preceding the fire, they fancied that they not only saw it pass swiftly and fiercely, and could perceive the motion with their eye, but even they heard it; that it made a rushing, mighty noise, fierce and terrible, though at a distance, and but just perceivable.

I saw both these stars, and, I must confess, had so much of the common notion of such things in my head, that I was apt to look upon them as the forerunners and warnings of God’s judgements; and especially when, after the plague had followed the first, I yet saw another of the like kind, I could not but say God had not yet sufficiently scourged the city.

But I could not at the same time carry these things to the height that others did, knowing, too, that natural causes are assigned by the astronomers for such things, and that their motions and even their revolutions are calculated, or pretended to be calculated, so that they cannot be so perfectly called the forerunners or foretellers, much less the procurers, of such events as pestilence, war, fire, and the like.

But let my thoughts and the thoughts of the philosophers be, or have been, what they will, these things had a more than ordinary influence upon the minds of the common people, and they had almost universal melancholy apprehensions of some dreadful calamity and judgement coming upon the city; and this principally from the sight of this comet, and the little alarm that was given in December by two people dying at St Giles’s, as above.

The apprehensions of the people were likewise strangely increased by the error of the times; in which, I think, the people, from what principle I cannot imagine, were more addicted to prophecies and astrological conjurations, dreams, and old wives’ tales than ever they were before or since. Whether this unhappy temper was originally raised by the follies of some people who got money by it—that is to say, by printing predictions and prognostications—I know not; but certain it is, books frighted them terribly, such as Lilly’s Almanack, Gadbury’s Astrological Predictions, Poor Robin’s Almanack, and the like; also several pretended religious books, one entitled, Come out of her, my People, lest you be Partaker of her Plagues; another called, Fair Warning; another, Britain’s Remembrancer; and many such, all, or most part of which, foretold, directly or covertly, the ruin of the city. Nay, some were so enthusiastically bold as to run about the streets with their oral predictions, pretending they were sent to preach to the city; and one in particular, who, like Jonah to Nineveh, cried in the streets, ‘Yet forty days, and London shall be destroyed.’ I will not be positive whether he said yet forty days or yet a few days. Another ran about naked, except a pair of drawers about his waist, crying day and night, like a man that Josephus mentions, who cried, ‘Woe to Jerusalem!’ a little before the destruction of that city. So this poor naked creature cried, ‘Oh, the great and the dreadful God!’ and said no more, but repeated those words continually, with a voice and countenance full of horror, a swift pace; and nobody could ever find him to stop or rest, or take any sustenance, at least that ever I could hear of. I met this poor creature several times in the streets, and would have spoken to him, but he would not enter into speech with me or any one else, but held on his dismal cries continually.

These things terrified the people to the last degree, and especially when two or three times, as I have mentioned already, they found one or two in the bills dead of the plague at St Giles’s.

Thank you very much for sharing the book Pierre!!!

I‘m fascinated again by your great research and your efforts to put this massive information together in such a way that simply anyone can read it and understand it.

You keep the reader wake and this is yet again a page-turner and I joined in too soon.
I waited you to post at least 2 evenings of a good read and now that I dived into the topic - I realize I should have waited for the whole book because this is so very interesting to me that I can’t wait. 😅

It’s amazing and sad and scary in fact how this is not a general knowledge.

You did amazing and really hard work on it and I hope your book will see the light in the end.

Eagerly waiting for next chapters but now I know better - I simply have to wait that you publish all of it so I can enjoy the reading a bit longer.

Thank you!
:perfect:

That's great. Daniel Defoe in A Journal of the Plague Year (published in 1722) seems to be dismissive of comets as harbingers of something evil coming this way or at least that is how I understood it. I think it's interesting that "the old women and the phlegmatic hypochondriac part of the other sex" spotted two comets in the London sky that in their mind were linked to something terrible. In other words, they were people who kept an eye on the sky, intuiting that events (the plague and the great fire the year after) were related to cosmic activity?

Yes, recall what you added from his work as described by observers at the time, which he downplayed.

As an aside, and for readers of romance, recently read in one of Mary Balogh's books a direct reference, wherein the lady is being asked what she was reading, with the reply being "Journal of the Plague Years... I do not like it as well as Robinson Crusoe, though it is worth reading," she said.

It may be assume that Mary has indeed read Defoe's work, too. I think she would also be interested in what you are writing, Pierre! :-)

I know that some of the errors have been corrected already but I found some other minor ones. I hope I'm not going over-the-top with these. I'm working from the pdfs and then finding them in the posts:

Introduction:

Where is template, where is the blueprint of the whole limb? [15]. Given that the cells have the same DNA, it must something else that guides their differentiated and harmonious development.
- Where is the template...
- ...it must be something...
suggesting that it is combination of virally altered DNA and specific geomagnetic conditions that defines our connection the information field. These are main ideas suggested and developed in Part VI: Information Field, Viruses, DNA and Proteins.
- ...it is a/the combination...
- These are the main ideas...
But one thing sure, all the ingredients are present for a 6th extinction to occur:
- But one thing is sure... (or) But one thing is for sure...
And now that you had an outlook on the content of this books, with further due, let’s jump in.
- ...you have an...
- ...content of this book...
- ...without further ado... (or are you saying: with further content due?)

Chapter 1:

If fact, it's a bit more complicated
- In fact, it's a bit more complicated...
Carboniferous rainforest collapse[24],
- This error is not noticeable in the post version, but in the pdf "collapse" is on one line and the like number is on the next.
[27] Colloquial called sea shells.
- Colloquially called sea shells. (this is in the footnotes)

Chapter 2:

several mass extinctions[3] [4]
- Not noticeable in the post version, but the pdf might need a comma between the link numbers.
Volcanic regions and their prevalent of period of activity
- The first 'of' should be removed in the caption under the first image.
build-up of polar cap and snowfalls
- ...build up of polar caps and snowfalls.
It seems that the chain of event is as follow:
- It seem that the chain of events is as follows:
increased atmospheric methane and submarine landslide[16], both being documented effect of cometary impacts.
- ...submarine landslides... documented effects...
High concentrations of Hydrogen sulfide are considered by some researchers as the cause of the Permian-Triassic extinction[25] 252 Mya and the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction[26], 66 Mya.
- Needs a comma behind "Permian-Triassic extinction".
However there seem to be correlation between
- ...seems...
magnetic orientation[34] and leading to reversals that could takes place in a matter of days.
- The "and' might not need to be there.
- ...take...
[11] The seven major periods of widespread anoxia in the oceans of the last 260 million years are significantly correlated (>99.99%) with the ages of the flood-basalt - extinction events.
- Does the second hyphen need to be there? (found in the footnotes)
[34] Langel, R.A., (1987). The main field, in “Geomagnetism”.
- Does the comma need to be there?

Chapter 3

Nature in the year 1982
- Not noticeable in the post but in the pdf the one is missing making it the year 982.
significant clue 1986 when he
- ...significant clue in 1986 when he...
so observers have yet to find still Nemesis.
- ... so observers have yet to still find Nemesis.
major extinctions coincide with a 27 million years cycle.
- ...major extinctions coincide with a 27 million year cycle.

Some more.

Chapter 4:

Logically one considers cometary event as solely agents
- Logically one considers cometary events as solely agents... (or a cometary event)
[Trees growth] extrapolated maximum is expected
- Tree growth...
The rings after the event markedly wider
- The rings after the event are markedly wider. (Caption under the tree ring image.)
Charles Darwin euphemistically coined the Venus flytrap as “one of the most wonderful [plant] in the world”
- Charles Darwin euphemistically coined the Venus flytrap as “one of the most wonderful [plants] in the world”.
The Carolina bays host a number a fauna and flora species found nowhere on our planet.
- The Carolina bays host a number a fauna and flora species found nowhere else on our planet.

Chapter 6:

He should have added “…for the credibility of me incremental random evolution theory”.
-... my(?)...

Chapter 7:

followed by life explosions marked by the emergence a new and more complex lifeforms
- ...followed by life explosions marked by the emergence of new and more complex lifeforms.
the oldest land animal, a millipede species called Pneumodesmus [8] along the first land plant, known as Eohostimella heathana
- ...the oldest land animal, a millipede species called Pneumodesmus [8] along with the first land plant, known as Eohostimella heathana.
an elaborate camouflage apparatus[36] and more gene than humans[37].
- ...an elaborate camouflage apparatus[36] and with more genes than found in humans[37].

Chapter 8:

When one zooms out over past eons, one can see each that geologic period mark the apparition of new life forms
- When one zooms out over past eons, one can see that each geologic period marks the apparition of new life forms...
The conception of evolution was still much alive centuries,
- The conception of evolution was still much alive for centuries,...
Consequently Charles Darwin didn’t invent evolution theory whatsoever; he just replaced complexity-driven evolutionary leaps by random incremental changes. To put it bluntly, Darwin replaced a truth by a lie.
- Would 'with' instead of 'by' be better?
Thus in 5.109 years the probability of random synthesis of the about 103 enzymes of the simplest cell was evaluated to ~ 10-40,000; and the probability of ~ 10-24,000,000 for the advent of man[14]
- This section is 'quoted' in the pdf but is not in the post version. I don't know if that matters.
If the probability of winning the lottery is 1 in 14 millions[15],
- ...million...
Recent research papers including one extensive meta-studies show that evolutionary leaps are the rule rather than exception:
- ...one extensive meta-study...
The example of Osmunda claytoniana is not isolated. As previously mentioned[20] tardigrades appeared during the Cambrian explosion ca. 540 Mya and are still extant with little or no evolution during half a billion year of existence.

As shown in the quote above, not only most species experience evolutionary leap but then most species experience long periods of total stagnation (stasis). This succession of sudden leaps and long period of stagnation is totally contrary to the concept a gradual change.
- ... billion years of existence.
- As shown in the quote above, not only do most species experience evolutionary leaps but that most species then experience long periods of total stagnation (stasis). This succession of sudden leaps and long periods of stagnation is totally contrary to the concept of (a) gradual change.
the smooth Darwinian evolution line (light grey) and the jagged saltationist curve (black) alternating long period of stasis
- ...periods...
[20] See Part II, chapter “the Cambrian Explosion”
[21] See previous Chapter “The Cambrian Life Explosion”
- See Part II, Chapter 6 "The Cambrian Life Explosion" (found in the footnotes)

Chapter 9:

Currently, the reorganizing of retroviruses in the genomes of is leading to the birth of a new species:
- Currently, the reorganizing of retroviruses in the genomes is leading to the birth of a new species:
- Out 19 LTRs presence tested in human and other great apes genomes, 17 (~90%) were human specific.[28]
- Out of 19...
If we go further back the phylogenetic tree leading to humans,
- ...back in the...
the eukaryotes[46] (organisms whose cells have nucleus):
-...have a nucleus...
In addition, paleovirological analyses established that syncytin-1 that is found in human that is around 30 million years old[50],
-...that is found in humans is around...
3/ New taxa and mass extinctions: the apparition of a number of new taxa is repeatedly associated with mass extinctions as extensively described part II.
-...described in part II.
[41] See Part II: Chapter “The Cambrian Life Explosion”
-...Chapter 6(?)...

This is a fascinating read Pierre. I'm enjoying reading this as much as your first two! :thup: Thank you!

I guess I should say that some of these may not be errors but rather my own misinterpretation of the language/concept. Sorry if I got some of these wrong.

Here's a few more:

Chapter 10:

Why were some species spared and even blossomed while others closely related species were totally obliterated?
-...other... (or) ...others closely related to those species...
This species-specific actions displayed by viruses has been repeatedly proven by modern experiments.
- These species-specific actions displayed by viruses have been...
(or)
- This species-specific action displayed by viruses has been...
Could bornaviruses have been a novel viruses introduced during the Chicxulub event, subsequently integrated in the pre-mammalian genome
-...Could the bornavirus have been a novel virus introduced...
(or)
-...Could bornaviruses have been novel viruses introduced...
(also)
-...integrated into the...
Are viruses the agent allowing the emergence of new more complex life form and also contributing to the removal of obsolete life forms
-...forms...
[8] See previous chapter “The Enigma of Speciation”
- See Chapter 9...

Chapter 11:

As described in the previous chapter[1], viruses have species-specific destructive action
-...actions...
Infectious diseases are considered as one of the major cause of the elimination
-...causes...
According to Poinar, insect-borne viruses, infected plants that,
- Comma does not need to be there.
According to the senior curator of the American Museum of Natural History, Ross MacPhee it is indeed a viral epidemics[15] that caused the demise of the mammoth of Wrangler Island:
-...indeed a viral epidemic...
(or)
- ...indeed viral epidemics...
During the 20th century only, smallpox is estimated to have killed 500 million people[18]. But along its deadliness, smallpox
-But along with its deadliness...
So, despite several circumstantial evidence suggesting that
- So, despite several (cases, examples) of circumstantial evidence...
(or)
- So, despite several circumstantial evidence (cases, examples)...
However, there is a number of documented and recent virus-induced extinction.
- However, there are a number of documented and recent virus-induced extinctions.
The suspected involvement of virus in past extinction like Wrangler mammoths,
- The suspected involvement of viruses in past extinctions like Wrangler mammoths,...
[2] See Part I: “Comets and Mass Extinctions” and Part II, chapter “The K/T boundary”
-...Part II, Chapter 5... (footnotes)
[14] See chapter “Beneficial Viruses”
- See Chapter 14... (footnotes)

Chapter 12:

Evan further back in time, the presence of viral material has been found in stromalites[6], a microorganism considered as one of the oldest lifeform discovered in 3.7 billion-year-old[7] sedimentary rocks in Greenland:
- Even... lifeforms...
Electron microscopy picture of the Yadavirus
- The caption under the 2nd image should read Yaravirus.
present in a multitude of organisms, including viruses; its oldest version is most of the time found in viruses:
- The semi-colon should be a comma, I think.
See chapter “DNA and proteins connect us to the Information Field”
- See Chapter #(TBA)... (footnotes)

Chapter 13:

That's hundred billion more than the estimated number of stars in the Universe
- That's a hundred...
It means that there is, on average, between 50 million and 50 billion of viruses in one single drop[8] of ocean water.
-...50 billion viruses...
Viruses are also, and by far, the most diverse organisms, with an estimated 100 million different types of viruses on Earth[11]. For comparison, there are about 5,500 known mammalian species on our planet[12]
-"...of viruses" can be omitted.
(also)
- Needs a period behind "planet".
This figure jumps up to 2 million viruses a minutes when one exercises.
-...minute...
For comparison, there are about 10 e13 cells in a human body[17], it’s 100 times less than the number of bacteriophage viruses.
-...body, which is 100 times less...
(or)
-...body. That's 100 times less... (Imo, I think "less" should be emphasized.)
A study focused on viral population in the human blood plasma
-...on the viral...
(also)
-...in the human... "the" could be removed.
In addition viruses are also markedly present within our own DNA:
- Needs a comma after "addition".
How could hosts develop any effective defense system against such an ever-changing “enemy”?
- In the pdf version, "In the context of Darwinian evolutionary," was added to (or subtracted from?) the beginning of the above quote. The word "evolutionary" should be "evolution".
[9] The weight of one virus is roughly equal to 10-18g. See:
Bahr GF et al. (1976) “Determination of the mass of viruses by quantitative electron microscopy”. Q Rev Biophys.;9(4):459-89
- Needs a space behind the semi-colon.
[31] This figure is reminiscent of the estimated 20 to 30 extinction events that our planet experienced. See chapter “Mass extinctions”
-...Chapter 1...

Back
Top Bottom