What's the weather where you are?

This year in northern France, there's not a single cloudless day, which is quite unusual. Cloud cover is everywhere. This winter, fine, dry, sunny days have been non-existent. The mild start to spring has turned cold and rainy. The sun is lacking. There were a few warm cloudy days, but few compared with other years. Rain was the main feature. And I can feel the lack of sunshine in my little cells.

This year in northern France, there's not a single cloudless day, which is quite unusual. Cloud cover is everywhere. This winter, fine, dry, sunny days have been non-existent. The mild start to spring has turned cold and rainy. The sun is lacking. There were a few warm cloudy days, but few compared with other years. Rain was the main feature. And I can feel the lack of sunshine in my little cells.

Exactly the same thing is happening here in Uruguay.
Since I was a child I always liked the rain. It is really beautiful.
But lately, the amount of water is overflowing and problematic.
Historically, the climate in Uruguay has been characterized as benevolent, temperate, with well-defined seasons. In other words, the weather was consistent with the almanac, so to speak.
This is no longer the case, since a few years ago.

What really surprises me about nature, is that despite the inconsistency in terms of humidity levels, temperature and other factors, the flora continues to fulfill its cycles normally, or at least, I have not observed noticeable changes in that sense.

To give an example, where I live there are several Ash trees and a Walnut tree. As every year, both species were full of leaves in Spring.
Now we are in Autumn and as usual, the Ash trees already have their beautiful leaf litter on the ground, and some are almost bare (as usual).
The Walnut tree on the other hand, is still green, with some yellow leaves starting to fall. This one, the Walnut tree, always keeps its leaves for most of the Fall, staying all yellow, , then all the leaves fall off at once. This year it seems to keep the same pattern, like the vast majority of plants I observe.

However, I suppose the flora may be undergoing changes, just not yet detected by my eyes.

Going back to the weather, not seeing the sun for several days takes its toll.
One has to make super efforts, psychologically speaking, not to get depressed.
Being able to talk on this blessed forum Cassiopaea, really improves the situation, as simple as this one may seem.
Thank you.:flowers:

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

It snowed in Moscow last night. This is generally unusual for this time. The trees that have already turned green are covered with snow and if it melts immediately on the ground, then it lies on the trees.
Сегодня ночью в Москве выпал снег. Это в общем то необычно для этого времени. Зазеленевшие уже деревья покрываются снегом и если на земле он сразу тает, то на деревьях он лежит.

Stockholm, Sweden
7 May 2024

2024-05-06-15-23-46.jpg

2024-05-06-15-48-13.jpg

The other day we had a short period with really warm and very sunny weather, up to 22°C. However then came a sudden drop down to 8-12°C (46.4 - 53.6°F) with lots of rain.

Yesterday, while only 12°C (53.6°F), but mainly friendly sunny, which made the temperature feel rather pleasant when the sun was out. So, my husband and I took a long walk in the city of Stockholm, on an island called "Långholmen" (the long island). A bit windy on top of the hills, but absolutely lovely views, and that great feeling of being out and about together. Naturally, I took a lot of panorama images :-) in what is called the "XPan panorama style", a name that comes originally from a unique analog camera, called "Hasselblad XPan" (1999).

The tree leafs have grown considerably fast within just few days, thanks to that earlier warm period... Nature up here just looks so much nicer now ! Some greens are exceptionally bright against a blue sky, looking almost unreal at times (kind of neon-glow like)

Snowflakes ?!
Today we have another sunny day... around 13°C (55.4°F) are predicted, but tomorrow there might be partial snowfall (but mostly rain), as the daytime temperature is expected to fall down to just 2°C during noon ( 35.6°F) :scared:

The weather here in west Germany is like the autumn is coming. During the last month, we had 2 spells of warmth for only couple of days, when the temperatures would go even up to 25-26 degrees Celsius, but the rest was rainy and grey and cold with couple of hail-like frozen rain.

Currently, the temperatures go as low as below 10 degrees. Again, from today, it is expected that the temperatures will go slowly up day by day; today to 18 and by the weekend should be 25.

Yesterday was absolute deluge of rain. It was pouring down in a steady stream, like one would stand under the shower.

It is never too warm here, even in summer it is quite predictive - 2 weeks of sun, 2 weeks of rain. But currently, it feels like autumn.

Stockholm, Sweden
8 May 2024

Today's temperature map over Sweden looks oddly divided, with unusual low temperatures in the Stockholm region (and northwards). During the day they fell down to a mere 3°C [ 37.4°F] in the city - yet not enough for snowflakes to fall. 150 km NW from us, you could find the closest spot with a very temporary snow cover (Gävle region) as well spots within inner lands of North Coast of Stockholm (Upplands coast)

What's the average MAX for Stockholm this time of the year ? Around +16.3°C [ 61.3°F]. Very soon the mild air will pick up again, settling at a normal level, starting from Sunday, 11th and onwards. Spring can continue again.

_-2024-05-08-at-16.26.21.png

It snowed in Moscow last night. This is generally unusual for this time. The trees that have already turned green are covered with snow and if it melts immediately on the ground, then it lies on the trees.
In Moscow, the anomaly continues. That first snow that fell in the morning melted safely in the afternoon, but it snowed again this morning for half a day and now it is already lying on the ground, not melting. The temperature is 0C.
By the way, after looking at the panoramas of Stockholm, I can say that our trees are greener at this moment.

В Москве аномалия продолжается. Тот, первый снег, выпавший к утру, днем благополучно растаял, но сегодня с утра полдня опять шел снег и теперь он уже лежит на земле, не тает. Температура 0С.
Кстати, посмотрев панорамы Стокгольма, могу сказать, что деревья у нас на этот момент более зеленые.

In SC Alaska, it is overcast and cool, at 55°F (12.7°C). Except for the mountains, the snow is gone, and the nearby lake thawed. The trees are greening the scenery, but you can still see through the canopy.
The spring temp swings seem to have taken a toll on the flying insects, as they are not too many.
The robins haven't returned yet - about this time of year they come back from wherever they go. I made a couple bird feeders out of soup cans, and the year-round birds are liking it.
So, it's still cool. But it swings in temp like a 'spring'.

Back
Top Bottom