Eckart Tolle and Adyashanti

endgame

Padawan Learner
Hi, I just came over this book "New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle that Oprah is pushing in her book club. Now, knowing what I know about Oprah and 'the Secret' I became ofcourse suspicious. This is from the books synopsis and publishers note:

"There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one. In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are--which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are--and learn to live and breathe freely."
[...]
Addressing the dysfunction all around us, he encourages us to see the source--our egos, which he explains in some depth but also puts simply as "the voices in our head." Letting go of our egos, we will let go of much of our pain, and will be able to embark on a journey of discovery and "re-creation." Tolle reflects that we are microcosms of the larger universe, and that human consciousness and the physical world are connected. If we break free from old ways of thinking and seeing, we can change ourselves, individually and collectively."

In the book he also teaches techniques for self-observation and how to 'loose the ego'. I just know something is up with this, does anybody know the catch in this case, any obvious new age cointelpro? Is this guy just twisting 4th Way teachings here?

Oprah & Eckhart Tolles book "New Earth"

Hello endgame,

This seems an operation. Perfect programming.

Have not read the book and don’t need to. Here is what can be discerned just from what you have provided.

“opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world” Illusion!

“radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one”

What is new that has not been here for centuries long before we were here? shessh.

“very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness” follow the rabbit into the hole

“dysfunction all around us” Implying that if you don’t function as desired, you don’t function.

"the voices in our head." Imply that you may hear voices, which is misleading and psycho.

“Letting go of our egos, we will let go of much of our pain” That’s a lie, as when you really do let go, there is MUCH PAIN, or at least until you learn how it happened and why.

“discovery and re-creation.” Notice the term, re, as though we are just rearranging your mind.

“microcosms of the larger universe” word salad

“consciousness and the physical world are connected” word salad

“old ways of thinking and seeing” Old ways are all there is

“change ourselves, individually and collectively” political rhetoric

It looks like an earth blocking technique that is hurriedly being installed since the Secret is crap and beginning to fail maybe, although the last time I took a gander at the meetup websites, it was going full blow.

I just wanted to add this. It looks as though this "new" thing is being pushed hard. If we think this through, we realize there is nothing new. If you go back in time as the C's as often spoke of, there have been many civilizations and millions of other through time. Why is it we think we are so special in this regard and that we can create something that is actually new? I can't be for sure, but this may be associated with "time" and the program functions that sit closely to that perception. It seems everyone is thoroughly programed for "tomorrow" and may in fact be moving all their hopes and fears ahead preventing discernment.

I disagree. Do not dismiss Tolle so quickly. At least read him before denigrating what he has to say. He's teaching what's called "mindfulness meditation" or "insight meditation" in Buddhism. It's the same thing as SELF REMEMBERING, which is a vital method for improving awareness. If I am incorrect, please show me where I'm wrong.

Below I have copied Tolle and then how Ouspensky defines "Self Remembering" and Mouravieff defines "Doubled Attention"--essential--primary practices for increasing awareness and self-knowledge, i.e., doing "the work." OSIT. I've also included a summarized definition of "Mindfulness" (for comparison read Thich Nhat Hanh, almost anything he has written, or "The Miracle of Mindfulness" for the Buddhist perspective, and Tolle also, "The Power of Now" or "New Earth").

Tolle says, "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the possessing entity--the thinker. Knowing this enables you to observe the entity. The moment you start WATCHING THE THINKER (emphasis his), a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all things that truly matter--beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace--arise from beyond the mind. You begin to awaken. (Power of Now, 17) Start listening to the voice in your head as often as you can. Pay particular attention to any repetitive thinking patterns, those old gramophone records that have been playing in your head for perhaps many years. This is what I mean by 'watching the thinker,' which is another way of saying: listen to the voice in your head, BE there as the witnessing presence. . . When you listen to that voice, listen to it impartially. That is to say, do not judge. Do not judge or condemn what you hear, for doing so would mean that the same voice has come in again through the back door. You'll soon realize, THERE is the voice and here I AM listening to it, watching it. This I AM realization, this sense of your own presence, is not a thought. It arises from beyond the mind. (Power of Now, 18)

Self remembering as defined by Ouspensky in ISOTM:
"I am speaking of the division of attention which is the characteristic feature of selfremembering. I represented it to myself in the following way: When I observe something, my attention is directed towards what I observe—a line with one arrowhead:
I ————————————————> the observed phenomenon.
When at the same time, I try to remember myself, my attention is directed both towards the object observed and towards myself. A second arrowhead appears on the line:
I <———————————————> the observed phenomenon.
Having defined this I saw that the problem consisted in directing attention on oneself without weakening or obliterating the attention directed on something else. Moreover this "something else" could as well be within me as outside me.
The very first attempts at such a division of attention showed me its possibility. At the same time I saw two things clearly.
In the first place I saw that self-remembering resulting from this method had nothing in common with "self-feeling," or "self-analysis." It was a new and very interesting state with a strangely familiar flavor.
And secondly I realized that moments of self-remembering do occur in life, although rarely. Only the deliberate production of these moments created the sensation of novelty. Actually I had been familiar with them from early childhood. They came either in new and unexpected surroundings, in a new place, among new people while traveling, for instance, when suddenly one looks about one and says: How strange! I and in this place; or in very emotional moments, in moments of danger, in moments when it is necessary to keep one's head, when one hears one's own voice and sees and observes oneself from the outside.
I saw quite clearly that my first recollections of life, in my own case very early ones, were moments of self-remembering. This last realization revealed much else to me. That is, I saw that I really only remember those moments of the past in which I remembered myself. Of the others I know only that they took place. I am not able wholly to revive them, to experience them again. But the moments when I had remembered myself were alive and were in no way different from the present. I was still afraid to come to conclusions. But I already saw that I stood upon the threshold of a very great discovery. I had always been astonished at the weakness and the insufficiency of our memory. So many things disappear. For some reason or other the chief absurdity of life for me consisted in this. Why experience so much in order to forget it after-'wards? Besides there was something degrading in this. A man feels something which seems to him very big, he thinks he will never forget it; one or two years pass by—and nothing remains of it. It now became clear to me why this was so and why it could not be otherwise. If our memory really keeps alive only moments of self-remembering, it is clear why our memory is so poor."

Mouravieff in Gnosis I, describes the same thing as Doubled Attention, or Self Remembering
Mouravieff starting at p. 230 of 297 (pdf numbering) or p. 207 (text numbering), as “doubled attention.”)
“This is the 4th Way practice of dividing attention. Normally, one is in a state of constantly shifting identification. Self-remembering can be used to break this automation.
In its basic form, the practice involves being aware of one's inner state, including body, emotions and thinking, while also paying attention to an external object or activity. Self-remembering can bring presence of consciousness into human activity which usually is mechanical and simply happens.
Self-remembering is a prerequisite of self-knowledge and work on the self. Self-remembering is not simply analysis of self based on past data. It is by definition an activity that takes place in the present and concerns the present. It is not for example 'recapitulation,' which concerns the past.
A simple exercise of self-remembering is becoming conscious of one's body, emotion and thought and then alternatingly look at objects, while holding all these present to one's attention. One notices that one very easily falls into identification, where attention is drawn to a single object from its divided state.
Self-remembering in the middle of emotional shocks is specially difficult but also very valuable to the Work. Repeated practice of this goes in the direction of forming a constant I which is less and less subject to being captured into identification with passing circumstance. This is essential for forming cohesive being, intent and eventually capacity to 'do' in the 4th Way meaning of the term.
Another aspect of the concept relates to man's physical and psychic metabolism. Man takes in three kinds of 'food:' physical food, air and impressions. These three 'substances,' also known in the Work as 'hydrogens' undergo change and refinement in the human being. This goes in the direction of more refined, less coarse, more vivifying substances, ones more infused with information and intelligence, if one can say so. This process usually happens only very partially and the human 'hydrogen factory' is leaky and inefficient. Self-remembering, specially when done in context of shocks, assists and energizes these processes, so that finer hydrogens can be produced in greater quantity. This may have the effect of connecting one to one's higher centers. In this sense, self-remembering goes beyond a means of intellectually knowing about the self and becomes a tool for transformation and unlocking qualitatively new possibilities.
Intense self-remembering can happen spontaneously in situations of great emotional shock or danger. One observes then an entirely different quality of perception and presence. At such moments, the organism is prompted to work in a different mode, producing a momentary flow of 'higher hydrogens,' which enable a different type of functioning. The Work seeks to make these states available in a predictable and systematic fashion.”

Here's a definition of "Mindfulness" from a Buddhist master:
“At this level, attention is confined to the workings of the mind, discriminating between various phenomena present on a moment-by-moment basis. It is at this point that ‘mind-ful-ness’ has fulfilled its duty most completely” (Payutto, 260). “It focuses the mind’s eye of attention on each passing impression that comes into consciousness, and it turns our gaze on the flow of thought . . . it can be compared to a gatekeeper because it guards over the various sense-doors through which impressions pass, checking everything that happens . . . Mindfulness is the overseer and inspector of the stream of consciousness and all thought and action . . . Mindfulness can be used as a tool for grasping or embracing any thoughts and bringing them before the mind for consideration and further action” (Payutto, 261). Mindfulness is the state of consciousness observing consciousness (itself), both internally and externally, simultaneously. “All you can do is observe it [mind], observe it observing itself” (Hanh, 44). The effort of utilizing and increasing awareness has the effect of energizing and strengthening the mental faculties, “At the moment of awareness we feel we are in control, even though the river is still there, still flowing. We feel ourselves at peace” (Hanh, 8). However, in the beginning of the practice, one often forgets to pay attention, and upon remembering, must resume the practice. As Hanh states, “When you think, ‘The sun of awareness has gone out in me,’ at that moment it re-lights itself, faster than the speed of light” (Hanh, 11-12). Is it any wonder that the Sanskrit word for mindfulness means, “remembering (recollection)?”

Hi Yossarian, the first thing that jumps out at me, in all capital letters, is that this is being supported by Oprah. What does this tell us? Seriously - - - - - - - this question should not take too long to answer.

It's a lead story on 'yahoo news' tonight, for goodness sake... _http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080228/ap_en_tv/books_winfrey_tolle

From the article:
"The book has topped the best-seller list on Amazon.com virtually from the moment Winfrey's choice was revealed, and it is the fastest-selling pick ever at Barnes & Noble Inc."

Secondly, it seems that you are comparing bodies of work searching diligently for their similarities, and doing this as you are rather oblivious to their glaring differences - differences that often, if not always, define the work in question. Others probably have more to add to this line of thought, but it might be wise to realize that if something is being pushed by one of the most powerful sleep inducing machines on the planet, there is a reason. The devil, as always, is in the details.

I realize my post may bring thoughts up of 'but it's a stepping stone in the right direction' - _ _ is it? It is, indeed, a stepping stone, but very small differences in the beginning result in entirely different end destinations, no matter the type of journey.

Yes, I guess The devil is in the details on this one. Also, I think this 'getting rid of the ego' means little if not doing the real work of the tradition (Gurdjieff, Mouravieff) with awareness of the sts and sto concepts and the true nature of reality.
Thanks guys.

Very good, Yossarian, but we should consider if Tolle is so smart, why is he approved?

This brings up a good question, don't you think?

If by chance anyone does purchase the book, please share your thoughts so we can evaluate more.

In the meantime, I will not get to close to anyone who is approved by PTB. They may have decided to get a little closer to the mold in order to throw a better block, if you know what I mean.

Addressing the dysfunction all around us, he encourages us to see the source--our egos, which he explains in some depth but also puts simply as "the voices in our head." Letting go of our egos, we will let go of much of our pain, and will be able to embark on a journey of discovery and "re-creation." Tolle reflects that we are microcosms of the larger universe, and that human consciousness and the physical world are connected. If we break free from old ways of thinking and seeing, we can change ourselves, individually and collectively."
Well, the first thing I noticed was that he blazingly skips over narcissism, and how the American brand has become quite common place - considered 'normal'. He also completely ignores the question of psychopathy in governments and other group structures. This is THE Problem, imho, the first cause from which all other symptoms of a dysfunctional society arise. So how he can expect any great leaps in thinking without removing the psychopaths from power is beyond me.

Other then that, as other's have said, it's being pushed from top down, so you can rest assured there's a nefarious agenda around it.

OCKHAM said:
If by chance anyone does purchase the book, please share your thoughts so we can evaluate more.
I've read Tolle's New Earth book a good while ago so I may forget/interpret things.

I thought the Power of now at the time really opened my eyes about the concept of being "present" which is a beginner version of self-observation imho.

So..The New Earth book is indeed speaking about developping an observant I and for that purpose it may be interesting approach to the "work".

Where Tolle is failing, imho
- He does not speak about psychopathy, although he mentions "ego" state which are beyond repair.
- The book propose to be "life changing", just by reading it you'll be on your way to paradise.
- It can easily put you back to sleep because it is full of new age concepts about the earth approching a new era and so on...

It's the new Hollywood fad for sure, even Paris Hilton read E.Tolle..well she might be pretending she is though.

Maybe some signal, (truth), in Tolle but where they really get ya is at the end - the twist - the goal is to be happy, successful and get more stuff. All A influences. At least Tolle is a little less about all the STS materialistic stuff, which the Secret reeked of. Still, too much bliss may not be a good thing either.

I hope there is more discussion on this subject, but I wanted to add a little clarification and some response to what's been said so far.

First, I don't think it's right to criticize Tolle based on what someone else says about what he says (like editors or copy writers trying to sell a book), because that gives a very distorted view of his work, and what he says is clear and stands by itself--either as cointelpro or as something useful. Personally, I'd like to know for my own edification as I've certainly been fooled enough in the past and I haven't been able to find anything in Tolle's work that smells like disinfo or misdirection--to me.

Other critiques, though potentially helpful, seem rather weak in substance. Like Anart's argument of guilt by association. Tolle's history, as I understand it, has not until recently had anything to do with "the establishment." His popularity started by word of mouth and people sharing his work with each other because they found it helpful. Dippy Dog's claim that the purpose of mindfullness, or awareness or presence is "to be happy, successful and get more stuff" is NOwhere in Tolle's writing that I've seen. If it is please show me. I agree that the devil is in the details, so if anybody can point out an actually devillish detail, please point it out.

As I see it, his first book, the "Power of Now", is almost exclusively about the mechanics of achieving mindfulness or presence or awareness. That's it. So no, there is no analysis about the deeper problems of our reality. His idea is that people wake up one at a time through present moment awareness and eventually become strong enough to see reality ever more clearly, OSIT. Present moment awareness is extremely basic, but for me anyway, is very difficult to achieve and maintain, and so I could read several books written by persons that know how to maintain present moment awareness from their own personal practice and learn from them. Practice is most important however. Have you ever met a Buddhist monk that practices mindfulness meditation? I have. His behavior and actions and speech are similar to what I've observed in Tolle in the live video that I've seen of him.

His second book, "The New Earth", builds upon the "Power of Now." He first states that one should read the first book before trying to grasp the second book. The second books focus is on the structures of the "mind," I think we could call it the "predator's mind," what they are and how they work and how they prevent us from achieving present moment awareness. One possible word for the predator's mind is ego. Even Laura agrees that we need to overcome ego, but the question is how do we do that practically. Again, I think that Tolle's work is helpful in that regard, even if it may not be as deep or as profound as some of the fourth way works, as it focuses almost exclusively on self-awareness through intense present moment awareness.

No, he certainly doesn't mention psychopathy, which is THE most important reality of our time as I understand it and SOTT's work on this matter is literally the vanguard in this area. His scope and focus is quite limited. However, I don't think that it claims to be more than what it is.

I'd better add a disclaimer. I do remember a section in "The New Earth," fairly early on, that made it painfully clear that Tolle has no clue about psychopathy. I was irritated to read that and pointed it out to a friend. However, I don't think that in itself negates what he has to say.

The very fact that Tolle's new book is being promoted by the mainstream media should set the alarm bells ringing. Laura's work has been around for longer than Tolle's, but can you see Oprah Winfrey promoting The Wave or Political Ponerology in her book club? When did the MSM ever promote anything that was not in the controllers' interests, even if it appeared otherwise?

The Twelfth Protocol of the Elders of Zion (Control of the press) said:
11. In the third rank we shall set up our own, to all appearance, opposition, which, in at least one of its organs, will present what looks like the very antipodes to us. Our real opponents at heart will accept this simulated opposition as their own and will show us their cards.
Here's a few excerpts from an article by Tolle, published on his website, about the writing of 'A New Earth', entitled 'The One Thing': _http://eckharttolle.com/a_new_earth. It's basically a sales pitch for those who are wondering whether it's worth spending more money on Tolle's new book.

Eckhart Tolle said:
Can a person be awakened spiritually by a book? Yes, if three conditions are met:
And you just know that he's going to define the three conditions, and then tell us how his books have met the three conditions!

ET said:
Firstly, there must be a readiness on the part of the reader, an openness, a receptivity to spiritual truth, which is to say, a readiness to awaken. For the first time in history of humanity, large numbers of people have reached that point of readiness, which explains why millions have responded so deeply to The Power of Now.
It would be better if he helped people to discern truth from disinformation in the spiritual marketplace. Also, it should be remembered that millions of machines 'have responded so deeply to The Power of Now'.

ET said:
Secondly, the text must have transformative power. This means the words must have come out of the awakened consciousness rather than the accumulated knowledge of a person’s mind. Only then will a text be charged with that power, a power that goes far beyond the informational value of the words. That is why such a book can be read again and again and lose none of its aliveness.
This is exactly the same claim as many channelled writings – that the text has transformative power. Implied in his statement is that if you, the reader, are not transformed by the holy text you are reading, there is something wrong with you. And of course, the text itself, and by extension the writer, are marvellous and holy. The problem, imho, is that the precise opposite is true – Tolle's text is not transformative; rather it is comforting and soporific.

ET said:
Thirdly, the terminology used needs to be as neutral as possible so that it transcends the confines of any one culture, religion, or spiritual tradition. Only then will it be accessible to a broad range of readers world-wide, regardless of cultural background.
I've looked around on his website and my impression is that he is a useful idiot, rather in the mould of Neal Donald Walsh. Tolle's basic message is the same as most eastern teachings that posit enlightenment as an end to suffering and therefore growth.

ET said:
All these conditions were met in The Power of Now, which is why the book has had such an impact on the collective consciousness.
More marketing and an appeal to the herd instinct – don't you want to be one of those millions who have responded so deeply to my book?

And, if this last is true, why is there so much war and suffering in the world? Where are the results of 'such an impact on the collective consciousness'? Because, given the context, Tolle is implying that the results of the impact of his book are greater peace, joy, love, 'radiant being', etc, etc.

Tolle could hardly be called subversive; just compare his work with Laura's. Rather he seems to be nice and comforting, in the best newage tradition.

Condemning Tolles book is affirming your own self agrandizement and serves your illusion that you are superior because of your knowledge. Anything that increases awareness and leads those at various points on their journey of seeking knowledge is of benefit. period. Poo poo to those on this site who find it necessary to elevate themselves by judging others. Knowledge and enlightment is a step by step process and an individual one, each path leads to the next. Poor you to you know it alls, is it not you who is stuck?

jlynn12345 said:
Condemning Tolles book is affirming your own self agrandizement and serves your illusion that you are superior because of your knowledge.
This is an opinion - not a fact. If Tolle's book is a sleep tonic, then saying so is speaking the truth. Are you personally invested in Tolle's success?

jl said:
Anything that increases awareness and leads those at various points on their journey of seeking knowledge is of benefit. period.
This is opinion - not a fact. The fact of the matter is that 'incorrect knowledge' is much worse than no knowledge at all.

jl said:
Poo poo to those on this site who find it necessary to elevate themselves by judging others.
When presenting the facts in a situation, there is no need for judging or elevating - you are speaking in very subjective terms that indicate much, much more about you than they do this forum.

jl said:
Knowledge and enlightment is a step by step process and an individual one, each path leads to the next. Poor you to you know it alls, is it not you who is stuck?
Well, this is certainly an emotional response - methinks someone is very personally invested in Tolle's book being 'the truth'. It also appears that you would be much happier on another forum that supports and disseminates such subjective YCYOR philosophies to enable you to sleep more soundly. So, please, feel free to move along to another forum where such ideas are embraced.

Back
Top Bottom