Asteroid Near-Misses Dramatically Increasing

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
After being duly sobered with the hard facts of moons accumulating around neighboring planets (as evidence of the comets approaching us), I checked out the extensive data tabulated on NASA's website [neo(dot)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov] regarding recent Near Earth Objects (NEO's). Analysis of just this data that NASA's willing to disclose, provides parallel data about Earth that's equally sobering.

Regarding NEO's (averaging 100' diameters) that have been coming closer to Earth than our moon:

YEAR NUMBER
1997 0
1998 0
1999 0
2000 0
2001 1
2002 2
2003 5
2004 8
2005 6
2006 12
2007 20 (projected from the actual 5 documented through 3-20-07)

Whoaaaaaa!

Well, that is certainly another interesting data-point to add to the list!

Thanks.

<Boy, are we in trouble...>

Wwooaa here too! And we are only in the March here, and implying they are disclosing only scrapes of info they can't withdraw from public view, i wonder what is the real number of 2007 near-misses?

I don't understand all the datas but some diagrams are very clear

web_total.png

Prepare your helmets!

JGeropoulas said:
After being duly sobered with the hard facts of moons accumulating around neighboring planets
Yep, sobering indeed. Thanks for posting this.

About two weeks ago I saw another relatively large fireball (visible smoke and flaring) in the early evening, coming down at about 30 degrees from the horizon. In the last year, I think I've seen more fireballs than I've seen in my whole life. Something is definitely "up".

I don't know exactly how to interpret these data. Is it about the number of near-earth asteroïds or about their discovery? :/

You can't count an astroid (put a number to it) until you have discovered one. So it's both IMO. The number of "near earth astroids" they have discovered is rising.

we can also have a constant number of undiscovered objects right there and to discover a bit more day after day. don't you think? :/

MKRNHR said:
Is it about the number of near-earth asteroïds
A comet or asteroid whose orbit brings it close to Earth's orbit. The criterion is a perihelion (closest to) distance < 1.3 AU. (1 AU=150,000km - Astronomical unit, distance from earth to sun)(not actually impacting or landing on Earth)
Very interesting chart stardust, looks exponentially increasing..helmets indeed!

What would be even more interesting is to get the trajectories of these neo's to see where they are coming from. From what I understand many of them are coming from the south (i.e. the direction of the souther cross). This would explain the flurry of activity in Antarctica to construct optical and other spectrum scopes. It would seem the PTB know full well where these objects are coming from.

It's lookin' to be a hellava "hailstorm"!

I looked up the orbital data on neo(dot)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov(slash)cgi-bin(slash)neo_elem and it looks to me that the orbital periods and eccentricities for the larger asteroids are remarkably consistant. I do not have a background in astronomy so I may be misinterpreting the data. If there are other eyes on this data who know what they're looking at then perhaps we can get a clearer picture of where these things are coming from and possibly when they got knocked out of their stable orbits.

Just fyi, here's nasa's statistics in some more detail with lots of data (most of which is pretty clear):
http(css)neo.jpl.nasa.gov/stats/

In other words, there is no doubt at all that these discoveries are increasing exponentially. It's funny I never really thought about going to an official source like nasa for such data, so I'm pretty shocked that it's just out there in plain sight, and nobody seems to be raising any alerts about it or anything!

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
In other words, there is no doubt at all that these discoveries are increasing exponentially.
Indeed when checking those data we can see that the number of observed near earth objects increases.

However, charts 3 displays cumulative (year after year) number of observed near earth object.
In chart 1 we can see that there are more and more observation programs (linear, neat, catalina,...) so indeed the total number of observed near earth objects per year increases but mainly because of the inflow coming from the new observation programs (see evolution of the number of observation coming from the "old" linear program)

So those official data still back up the official story : there are more observed objects because observation programs are more numerous and more powerful.

One flaw in the armor is mentioned in one article written by Laura and Henri :

Forget About Global Warming: We're One Step From Extinction! said:
The explanation given most often to explain this surge in the numbers of satellites for these planets is that telescopes have gotten better. That is, we can see further, with greater detail, and can therefore find things that we couldn't see before. It is an explanation that makes sense. One small problem with this theory is that the "new" moons of Neptune and Uranus showed up before the new moons of Jupiter and Saturn. One would think that powerful telescopes capable of finding moons as far away as the seventh and eighth planets would have found the hard to see moons of the fifth and sixth first.

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
In other words, there is no doubt at all that these discoveries are increasing exponentially. It's funny I never really thought about going to an official source like nasa for such data, so I'm pretty shocked that it's just out there in plain sight, and nobody seems to be raising any alerts about it or anything!
Because they always use the same and very good excuse: "Our scanning capabilities improve everyday. We are able to detect them now".

Axel Dunor said:
However, charts 3 displays cumulative (year after year) number of observed near earth object.
In chart 1 we can see that there are more and more observation programs (linear, neat, catalina,...) so indeed the total number of observed near earth objects per year increases but mainly because of the inflow coming from the new observation programs (see evolution of the number of observation coming from the "old" linear program)
Ok but don't you think that the increasing between 2006 and 2007 are really due to NEOs increasing? I don't think they make so much progress in their programs -in one year- which explain alone all these observations. We are just in the beginning of year and the number of 2006 is already over !

Back
Top Bottom