Melatonin

Melatonin for migraines?
My 9 yr old daughter is going through a bad phase with her migraines; I have an appointment tomorrow to see about putting her back on propropanol. I really hate the idea of chemical prophylaxis for anything, but the kid is miserable.
On the other hand, she also has vivid and sometimes scary dreams (4D STS intrusion?), so I would hesitate to give her anything that might exacerbate that.
We have tried valerian and/or quinine for symptoms, but didn't have much luck (though mint tea does ease the upset stomach). Research has also suggested belladona.
I'll get back to the research, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Why would you give melatonin to 9year old?!

That would be very bad. Please study more about melatonin before doing something like that.

From my personal experience I can tell you that sometimes even if you are as old as 37 you dont need extra melatonin and supplying it can cause visible disturbance of the balance

If your 9 yr old girl suffers from migraine s thats very serious and I suggest try to find a god homeopath.
But really really good cos there are lots of quacks out there giving a bad name to homeopathy

In any case I am just a vet so its up to you wether to take my advice seriously or not

From my experience allopatic medicines will releive the symptoms but they will push the disturbance deeper and in the long run cause serious problems.

Dont use beladona either , not even in homeopathic doses as it is a powerful remedy and should be used only after thorough consultation and assesments,

otherwise you will have the proving of the remedy symptoms and beleive me you dont want that

doormouse said:
My 9 yr old daughter is going through a bad phase with her migraines; I have an appointment tomorrow to see about putting her back on propropanol. I really hate the idea of chemical prophylaxis for anything, but the kid is miserable.
On the other hand, she also has vivid and sometimes scary dreams (4D STS intrusion?), so I would hesitate to give her anything that might exacerbate that.
We have tried valerian and/or quinine for symptoms, but didn't have much luck (though mint tea does ease the upset stomach). Research has also suggested belladona.
I'll get back to the research, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Had you ever heard of Butterbur root (Petasites hybridus)? I will include the article to add up for the research, must be a terrible thing to see a kid with migraine.

From http://www.herbalgram.org/default.asp?c=petadolex_kids

Butterbur Root Reduces Migraine Headaches in Children and Adolescents in Clinical Trial

Austin, Texas (March 17, 2005). A proprietary extract of butterbur root, an herbal remedy from Europe, has successfully lowered the incidence of migraines in children and adolescents in a new clinical trial published in the recent issue of the journal Headache.1

Migraines occur in an estimated 3% to 7% of all children. Because most migraine therapies seem to be ineffective when given to children, there is a strong need for further research on promising new therapies that can prevent migraines in children. Numerous studies have evaluated therapies for adults with migraines; however, only a few controlled trials have investigated the prophylactic treatment of migraines in either children or adolescents.

Butterbur (Petasites hybridus), a native European plant, has been used successfully for its ability to relieve pain and spasms in conditions like migraine, asthma, urinary tract spasms, and lower back pain. (The use for urinary spasms has been approved by the German Commission E, an expert advisory panel of the German Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices.) Because approval of placebo-controlled trials in children is difficult to obtain from an ethical review board in Germany, the researchers chose to conduct an open-label study. Unlike a placebo-controlled trial in which neither patients nor researchers know who is using the real active agent or a placebo, in an open-label trial, all patients receive the active treatment (in this case, butterbur root extract) and both the patients and researchers are aware of this.

The new study was conducted in five pediatric clinics and 13 medical practices and included a total of 108 subjects: there were 29 children: (ages 6-9 years) and 79 adolescents (10-17 years). Only patients suffering from migraines for at least 1 year were included in the trial. They were treated with 50 to 150 mg of butterbur root extract (Petadolex

Navigante,
Thank you! I did some follow up reading and found a place to order the butterbur on line. I think I'm going to try it on both of us. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes.
We both get migraines frequently and 2-3 times a year she has one that lays her out for days. We just finished one of those. She missed 3 1/2 days of school. Not that she's missing much, but the US mandatory attendance laws frown. :-(
Again, thank you. This looks like really useful information.

doormouse said:
I did some follow up reading and found a place to order the butterbur on line. I think I'm going to try it on both of us. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes.
That will be much appreciated! The butterbur root sounds definetely better than propanolol ;)

I tried 3 different migraine medicines. None works. Melatonin is the only one that reduces migraine attacks. Now I only got it when I didnt take melatonin for weeks.

More benefits of melatonin. I was writing a response to the earlier post a while back and never got to finish it. I saved in a word doc on my computer but I'll post it here. It also protects againts STDs.

anart said:
tschai said:
Taking Melatonin or any like substance should be done with caution-after all you are tinkering with your brain chemistry-and I believe it was Ryan that provided a link to an article on Melatonin that kind of suggested this might allow 4D to gain BETTER control? Anything that can give THEM
an advantage need be given a wide berth-as if they actually need any help.
Actually, melatonin is already a natural part of your 'brain chemistry' so while you would be temporarily increasing levels, I'm not sure that 'tinkering' really applies in this case - also, could you link the information that indicates that melatonin 'might allow 4D to gain better control'? I'm not finding that anywhere and am wondering if you might be misled on that one. If not, it's something we should know.
Personally I can see how someone would think it allows for better 4D control but that is the simple analysis. I know that it also provides for better protection. I am not a chemist but neuroscientist in training and I work with a lot of neurohormones and transmitters so please do not take anything I say as medical advice but just my reasoning based on what I do know.
That said, melatonin is not only a natural part of brain chemistry it is an end product of serotonin metabolism! The MAO pathway converts serotonin to methoxyindole acetic acid and the
SNAT pathway that converts it to melatonin.
If your melatonin is low it is likely (not always, though) that either serotonin or L-tryptophan is also low or the enzyme (SNAT) that converts it to melatonin is low. For the latter it would make sense to take melatonin. There are all sorts of environmental influences that can affect SNAT.
A good indication that you are not converting serotonin to melatonin efficiently is if you find that after eating foods high in tryptophan you DO NOT get a bit drowsy. Think thanksgiving turkey and the drowsiness felt after that huge meal. If you do get that drowsiness then it's possible you don't need more melatonin but increase tryptophan in your daily diet is enough.
I am guessing that vegetarians would most likely need a high melatonin dose because they are not getting the essential amino acid L-tryptophan to make it themselves. L-tryptophan is one of the harder amino acids to get from food too. If you are a meat eater, especially poultry, then I see no reason you would to need a very high dose unless one is lacking enzymes in the biosynthetic pathway of melatonin. Wonder why hitler was a vegetarian and also totally controlled by STS forces according to the Cs? He probably had low tryptophan too.

MAO inhibitors that are used to treat depression prevents the breakdown of serotonin.

For women, normal physiological doses of estrogen actually increase serotonin conversion to melatonin. However, pharmacological doses (think birth control pills) decrease serotonin synthesis. So a woman of childbearing age with normal hormone levels (I mean no additonal environmental estrogens) need not take high doses of melatonin but if you're on the pill or any of its derivatives a higher dose of melatonin makes sense because in a negative feedback manner it decrease melatonin synthesis. Since there is much evidence for enviornmental estrogenic compounds in food and water, it just makes sense for everyone to take melatonin to offset decrease in its synthesis from higher than normal levels of estrogens.
Males using anabolic steroids must take melatonin because their stores of serotoniin are certainily depleted and keep in mind that testosterone is converted to estrogen in the brain.

Another thing about melatonin is it actually protects against a particular STD, in the petrie dish that is. In vivo the effects can be different and I haven't seen any in vivo studies yet.
melatonin limited infection of all three chlamydiae and the effects were not recovered by tryptophan supplementation. Melatonin treatment only of host cells could diminish infection and the infection reduction was neutralized by a pertussis toxin, an inhibitor of G proteins. Ligands of melatonin and serotonin receptors also hampered infection. Conclusions: Inhibition mechanisms of chlamydial infection by melatonin and serotonin appear to be different from those of IFN-y and involve specific G-protein-coupled receptors. Melatonin is deemed to inhibit early progression of the chlamydial development cycle, such as establishment of intracellular infection and/or conversion from elementary body to reticulate body. Utilization of melatonin, serotonin or their derivatives may be advantageous for harmless prevention of chlamydial infection.
Serotonin itself is involved in modulating a variety of brain function. Deficits in pre-frontal cortex serotonin would make one easily programmable, and have various maladaptive behavioral effects. The effects of low serotonin and resulting low melatonin may be part of what the Cs were alluding to when they suggested melatonin is protective. but bear with me. There are ways to have low serotonin and resulting high programmability:
1. Low serotonin resulting from rapid conversion to melatonin and unbalanced homeostac mechanisms. This would give you high melatonin but you would still be programmable with low serotonin in pre-frontal cortex.
This doesn't sound like what the Cs meant.
You could have:
2. Low serotonin resulting form low tryptophan,
3. low amounts of any of the enzymes in the pathway to serotonin (aromatic acid decarbolylase
being one and in turn low melatonin)
4. Electromagnetic interference. This depletes both serotonin and melatonin. Think bout the kind of daily EM interference that exist in nomal 3D life. Think also of EM anomolies that are written about in abduction literature.
2 or 3 and 4 would result in low melatonin specifically but in all 4 cases one would be more programmable in the normal 3D sense due to low serotonin induced pre-frontal deficits.
Now there is a less known possibility for melatonin to be coverted back to serotonin via interferon gamma (enzyme) located in peripheral blood mononuclear leucocytes (PBML). It works both ways because it also makes serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan in these cells. This is an immune function, suggesting melatonin's role in protecting the both the body and mind. Due to kenetics of the molecule and so on, reverse synthesis normally occurs at a basal levels but if melatonin levels are high, serotonin production rate rapidly increase without the need for additional tryptophan. It may be what offsets the programmable effects of low serotonin even if this pathway is not that of the least resistance. So in this case it would make sense to take melatonin.

When the Cs were saying the melatonin protects, it could be by reverse synthesis of serotonin from melatonin. Maybe this occurs with more often with increased awareness. The resulting better in even pre-frontal functioning.

Hi, i join the club of melatoniners! 'll start with 0.5 mg daily before going to bed. So far my dreams were 'organic' LOL.
Melatonic may induce vivid 'erotic' dreams - uups!
I also take spirulina and bees' pollen for a while; and in salads instead of olive oil use linen-seed oil. Good for brain.

Welcome to the melatonin club ;)

Linen seed (called Flax Seed in English) oil is good for the brain (helps prevent depression among other things)and cell walls in general (Omega 3 Fatty Acid without the toxins of Fish Oil) and also cardiovascular system. I mix it with natural peanut butter and put salt and a little sugar in it so that my kids will get some Omega 3's. Very important for children to have this growing up. It is kind of like the opposite of trans fats (which the commercial peanut butters used to have before labelling of trans fats).

I have heard conflicting things about bee pollen. I have some of it, though, then read that it can be a problem for some people with allergies (I don't have allergies). What has been your experience with bee pollen?

CarpeDiem said:
Hi, i join the club of melatoniners! 'll start with 0.5 mg daily before going to bed. So far my dreams were 'organic' LOL.
Melatonic may induce vivid 'erotic' dreams - uups!
I also take spirulina and bees' pollen for a while; and in salads instead of olive oil use linen-seed oil. Good for brain.

with bee pollen - so far thumbs up! we with my 2 yo son don't have an allergy on pollen, i started giving him pollen when he was 7-8 months just a bit on the teaspoon edge to see whether he has any objection to pollen, he didn't and i quickly adjusted dose to 1/2 - 1 teaspoon daily. He enjoys it a lot, it's the first thing i give him every morning when he wakes up - a teaspoon of pollen and fresh-made carrot juice. Yammy!!! I think you better check whether your kids have an allergy with small amount of it, hopefully - not! You can 'stock' pollen 1:1 with honey. The same applies to spirulina (i do so, it's tastier for kids to chew). You could also add to this mix crushed dried apricots, crushed nuts, crushed dried plums (or any other fruits) mix together and make little circles. Your kids will enjoy one of the healthiest desserts made by themselves!

CarpeDiem said:
How do you take spirulina, is it in a tablet form?
Can you easily find it in health food shops?

Yes, it's pretty widely available in powder form in health food stores. Tastes kind of nasty, though, so tablets may be a good way to go, but it has lots of B12 among other things, so it's good for vegans to make up for lack of meat.

Just found this page with nutritional analysis of spirulina: http://www.spirulina.com/SPBNutrition.html

Deckard said:
CarpeDiem said:
How do you take spirulina, is it in a tablet form?
Can you easily find it in health food shops?

Where do we can find melatonin in france ?

(I'm going to china tomorrow)

Back
Top Bottom