Books about hypnosis?

martin

The Force is Strong With This One
Can anyone please recommend some good books about hypnosis?
Thank you very much!

Well, I have quite a few of them that I have picked up over the years but I don't know if they are still available. Having a look at amazon, I found one title that looks promising out of the junk there: Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy Basic to Advanced Techniques for the Professional by Calvin D. Banyan, Gerald F. Kein

If you type into the amazon search: "Advanced techniques of hypnosis" you get a much better selection and some of them are used and very good prices.

Another good source is Dick Sutphen. He's very good even if a bit too "New Agey" for my tastes. Some 20 years ago or so he gave a lecture "The Battle For Your Mind." It's really worth getting a copy of this on tape or CD and listening to it. His hypnosis programs are very useful for beginners.

http://www.dicksutphen.com/

Thank you Laura!

I just checked "Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy Basic to Advanced Techniques for the Professional" by Calvin D. Banyan, Gerald F. Kein at amazon and saw this review:

"This book is obviously professionally written. The only contention I had with the book was that it was misleading in the description that it explains how to preform hypnosis. It does not do that. This book is written for the professional Hypnotherapist and not a novice person who wants to gain an understanding on how hypnosis works and is performed.
The book essentially explains what things you can do to better your skills once you attain the basics of hypnosis/hypnotherapy. It goes on about how you can use such and such method to each a desired outcome but assumes you know how to perform that method. So it is definately not a beginners book."

I'm looking for something basic to start with since I know almost nothing about hypnosis and how to perform it and would like to start learning.

For basic, get some Sutphen video or audio tapes or CDs. He's got great technique and a great voice.

Just found Sutphen's "Battle for your mind" lecture here:

http://www.dicksutphen.com/html/battlemind.html

You should really also read Cialdini's book Influence: Science and Practice.

Phew! So many things to read! :)
I've checked all those books, VERY interesting stuff, specially Time Line Theraphy.
The idea of NLP and deleting/replacing memories is quite creepy.
Anyway I have realised that none of those books explains you how to practice hypnotic induction.
Know any that does?

Another question about Hypnosis:
- Which problems are recommended to be treated using hypnosis instead of other psychological methods and which aren't?

martin said:
Anyway I have realised that none of those books explains you how to practice hypnotic induction.
Know any that does?

- Which problems are recommended to be treated using hypnosis instead of other psychological methods and which aren't?
If you are looking for a book to tell you how to "practice," then you are on the wrong track from the get go. You need to know a lot about theory and background before you even go there. You do NOT want to be "practicing" without having a clue first. After you have read all this material, then you might want to see if Sutphen is still teaching "practice".

martin said:
deleting/replacing memories is quite creepy.

Hello Martin,

Deleting memories are a god send for some. Not that they ever really go away, they loose their emotional charge. The replacement memory is sort of an overlay memory, to fill the time line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't thing of a single thing that it doesn't work for. Although, Many subjects are just as hard or harder to go through the second time as the first. Much care and intuition is needed for distancing and emotional safety in hypnotherapy. It's a lot of mental work, you might go try some hypnosis to get a feel for it. ;)

Hmm,
you might go try some hypnosis to get a feel for it.
This is most definately NOT recommended. You can do some real damage to yourself, and possibly someone else.

Remember, that good practice comes from theory! If you are finding it hard to "connect" the threads, then you need more study and research, at a certain point, things will "click" and you will see the applications of theory.

I personally had to read hundreds of books over many many years, before I read a single phrase that set it all in motion. Now, I wasn't actually looking for hypnosis at all, I was looking for stuff on the martial arts, and decided that some of what these masters where doing was basically mass hypnosis, so I hit google, and bam.

To answer your question, I firmly believe in the Aikido principle of compound opposing forces which is also found in Small Circle Jujitsu. You need to use all the techniques availible to you that can conceiveably be applied to the current situation, all the prinicples must be applied at the same time in order for things to be successful, this ties into perspicacity and the like, you gain knowledge so that you can apply it.

Laura said:
If you are looking for a book to tell you how to "practice," then you are on the wrong track from the get go. You need to know a lot about theory and background before you even go there. You do NOT want to be "practicing" without having a clue first. After you have read all this material, then you might want to see if Sutphen is still teaching "practice".
I know, don't worry :)
I'm not doing anything until I feel that I know enough to not damage anyone or myself.
I got some books by Erikson, and the ones you recommended, and just tought it would be interesting to read about how to induce too. I'll keep reading and get back to the subject later.
Thanks a lot for your help once again!

"you might go try some hypnosis to get a feel for it"

This is most definately NOT recommended. You can do some real damage to yourself, and possibly someone else.

Wow, Did you ever read that the wrong way. Since Martin is NOT schooled yet, It might be Assumed that he would NOT be the one doing the Hypnosis. I merely meant for Martin to find a Hypnotherapist in his area and do a session. That way he would experience some of the feeling and technique involved.

suggestions

Complete works of James Braid

Mind Body Therapy - David Cheeks Ernest Rossi

Hypnotherapy - Dave Elman

Ericksonian
beginner:
Training Trances - by John Overdurf, Julie Silverthorn

Milton Erickson:
Hypnotic Realities
Healing in Hypnosis -
Mind Body Communication in Hypnosis - Erickson, Rossi

Life-Reframing in Hypnosis - Erickson, Rossi
Jay Hayley - Uncommon Therapy

Related,Trance Zero - Adam Crabtree

Monsters and Magical Sticks: Or, There's No Such Thing As Hypnosis by Steven Heller
--------------------------
Check the amazon reviews and see what stimulates interest.

I would add to that list: My Voice will go with you, the teaching tales of Milton Erickson by Sydney Rosen

If it is a topic that really interestes you, just search on google and amazon and start reading, read until you find an answer.

Back
Top Bottom