Good Website for Free Books

sharing books online

Does anyone think it would be worth it to compile a library of ebook's on cassiopaea.org or hosted somewhere else? maybe a designated place to swap or trade books here on the forums? I don't really know about the uploading or downloading dynamic, or the copy write laws, just putting this idea out here... also I don't know how hard it would be to implement either.

most people don't like reading books on their computer but there are a lot of new e-reading machines in the market so the idea could be more appealing to people because of this... Also these things come with annotating software etc...
nook (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354518,00.asp) and kindle 2 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340684,00.asp) for example.

I'm mostly asking the question because I have a lots of e-book's on my computer. for example many books by gurdjieff and ouspensky plus many other authors that may be hard to find or are out of print. I know their are people who would want to get their hands on such books any way they could even pdf non-hardcopy format.

Re: sharing books online

realitybugll said:
Does anyone think it would be worth it to compile a library of ebook's on cassiopaea.org or hosted somewhere else? maybe a designated place to swap or trade books here on the forums? I don't really know about the uploading or downloading dynamic, or the copy write laws, just putting this idea out here... also I don't know how hard it would be to implement either.

most people don't like reading books on their computer but there are a lot of new e-reading machines in the market so the idea could be more appealing to people because of this... Also these things come with annotating software etc...
nook (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354518,00.asp) and kindle 2 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340684,00.asp) for example.

I'm mostly asking the question because I have a lots of e-book's on my computer. for example many books by gurdjieff and ouspensky plus many other authors that may be hard to find or are out of print. I know their are people who would want to get their hands on such books any way they could even pdf non-hardcopy format.

Hi realitybugII - the only way we can advocate sharing books online through the forum is if the copyrights on those books have expired or they are being purposefully suppressed. With the authors you've mentioned, that is not the case. In order to keep the forum free of legal issues, it is really not something that we can advocate. This has been discussed previously on the forum in a few places.

anart said:
realitybugll said:

Hi realitybugII - the only way we can advocate sharing books online through the forum is if the copyrights on those books have expired or they are being purposefully suppressed. With the authors you've mentioned, that is not the case. In order to keep the forum free of legal issues, it is really not something that we can advocate. This has been discussed previously on the forum in a few places.

Hi realitybuggl,
if you like have a look in this thread where a discussion was about that specific subject:

good website for free books

Re: free archive

Hi oguz,

This topic of downloading free books has been discussed before. Please have a look at the thread below.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10791.msg76783#msg76783

Re: free archive

Oguz, this is the second time that you've been asked to stop posting links to free books websites. Since you seem to either be ignoring what is written to you, or just not reading it, please understand that if it happens again, your posting privileges will be removed.

I have a quick question about The Cosmic Winter (Clube & Napier) -- I was putting a wishlist together with the help of the recommended books thread, and was pleasantly surprised that some books that used to be hard to get are not anymore, such as Mouravieff's books (all in paperback on Amazon right now, for a reasonable price). One exception to this is The Cosmic Winter, which I currently have through interlibrary loan, but only temporarily. Would it count as a potential book that could be shared in the way that Keel's books have been here? As far as I know the authors are still alive and copyright is likely still in place, so maybe this would mean no, but it is certainly not easily accessible unless you are willing to pay quite a bit for it. Just wanted to see what people's thoughts were about this, as I am in the middle of it and it is really quite important information-wise.

shijing said:
[...]
Would it count as a potential book that could be shared in the way that Keel's books have been here? As far as I know the authors are still alive and copyright is likely still in place, so maybe this would mean no, but it is certainly not easily accessible unless you are willing to pay quite a bit for it. Just wanted to see what people's thoughts were about this, as I am in the middle of it and it is really quite important information-wise.

shijing,

I think there was already a discussion revolving around making pdf copies of this very book. The discussion starts around this post and covers a couple pages beyond that:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10197.msg75343#msg75343

Hope this answers your question :)

RyanX said:
shijing said:
[...]
Would it count as a potential book that could be shared in the way that Keel's books have been here? As far as I know the authors are still alive and copyright is likely still in place, so maybe this would mean no, but it is certainly not easily accessible unless you are willing to pay quite a bit for it. Just wanted to see what people's thoughts were about this, as I am in the middle of it and it is really quite important information-wise.

shijing,

I think there was already a discussion revolving around making pdf copies of this very book. The discussion starts around this post and covers a couple pages beyond that:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10197.msg75343#msg75343

Hope this answers your question :)

Yes it does, and thanks for pointing this out to me, RyanX -- if I had found this thread before, I would have also probably discovered the interlibrary loan solution long before I finally figured it out for myself :-[ It looks like the way that we are accessing this book is the correct one for now.

shijing said:
Yes it does, and thanks for pointing this out to me, RyanX -- if I had found this thread before, I also would have also probably discovered the interlibrary loan solution long before I finally figured it out for myself :-[ It looks like the way that we are accessing this book is the correct one for now.

Just a note that we are actually going to create a virtual church library in the private FOTCM forum that contains certain out of print or hard to acquire books. Since it is for FOTCM members only, it will not be accessible to the entire internet, so we will be able to provide more books there than we can on the public forum.

It should be up and running fairly soon, though I don't have an exact time yet!

This is a very helpful thread and it's clarified a lot for me. But it raised a question, too. I used to download copyrighted media all the time, due to a self-serving belief that it "should" be free. So based on what's been said here, did I build up some huge energetic debt that's still with me now? And how would one pay that back? Some of the stuff was pure entertainment value - movies, music, etc... But I did download some books, and several of them provided helpful info. I do feel somewhat blocked in my progress right now; maybe part of it is that I've benefitted so much from the works of others without them getting compensated. I feel I've done similar with Laura and the C's, too - I haven't repaid them in any way for helping change the entire direction of my life. But in this case I know what I can do (and I will). With these hundreds of files I've obtained over the years, the answer is murkier.

I have a related question that I might as well ask here. It's clear that one must give in order to receive, and if one only takes then one becomes blocked. So knowing this, it's become harder for me to consider giving purely to give. Now my mind keeps coming back to the idea of doing it to "receive," to remove blocks, etc. Which negates the giving and turns it into an STS thing, from what I understand. It also wrongly anticipates an outcome. How does one get around this? Trying to think about giving just to give - to not think of it in terms of what I'll receive back - feels like that old conundrum where someone tells you to NOT think about a white bear. Which of course puts the bear in your mind and you can't get rid of it! Maybe I'm overly concerned about this, but I'd like to give with a pure motive if I can, as this will be most beneficial to all concerned.

How about turning the issue upside down in your own mind? Is it not possible to do it recognizing both aspects? When you give, you are helping both yourself and others. What's wrong with that? As you remove blocks, you'll be better able to help others in the future.

Argonaut said:
I have a related question that I might as well ask here. It's clear that one must give in order to receive, and if one only takes then one becomes blocked. So knowing this, it's become harder for me to consider giving purely to give. Now my mind keeps coming back to the idea of doing it to "receive," to remove blocks, etc. Which negates the giving and turns it into an STS thing, from what I understand. It also wrongly anticipates an outcome. How does one get around this? Trying to think about giving just to give - to not think of it in terms of what I'll receive back - feels like that old conundrum where someone tells you to NOT think about a white bear. Which of course puts the bear in your mind and you can't get rid of it! Maybe I'm overly concerned about this, but I'd like to give with a pure motive if I can, as this will be most beneficial to all concerned.

Argonaut said:
How does one get around this?

Just give what you can, in the way that you can, when you can, and look for opportunities. Let the Universe keep the books.

I don't know about you, but it's hard for me to give from the heart if my focus is internal...it just corrupts the whole thing with self-doubt. Very pernicious thing that self-doubt. I just do what's in me to do, etc, but things are starting to look up for me a bit where I can do a little more.

Galahad said:
How about turning the issue upside down in your own mind? Is it not possible to do it recognizing both aspects? When you give, you are helping both yourself and others. What's wrong with that? As you remove blocks, you'll be better able to help others in the future.

Buddy said:
Just give what you can, in the way that you can, when you can, and look for opportunities. Let the Universe keep the books.

That makes sense. I do remember the C's saying that STO includes one's self. So the main things I need to watch out for are anticipating how things will come back to me, and giving JUST to receive.

Buddy said:
I don't know about you, but it's hard for me to give from the heart if my focus is internal...it just corrupts the whole thing with self-doubt. Very pernicious thing that self-doubt. I just do what's in me to do, etc, but things are starting to look up for me a bit where I can do a little more.

This is what I'm concerned about. We're naturally STS, so trying to do something STO feels like an uphill struggle. Either we don't "feel like" doing it, or we do it with STS motives. I guess we can't fully give with a pure STO mindset at this point, so like you and Galahad said, we just do it with what we have. And over time "what we have" will change. But f we don't do it at all, then we'll just remain blocked.

Argonaut said:
So the main things I need to watch out for are anticipating how things will come back to me, and giving JUST to receive.

It's not too hard to 'get'. You just forget about it and just give. If the STO universe has any use for you, it will move in your favor if it notices your commitment and you give things time to crank up and get rolling.

It's not that it's bad to expect good things to happen, you just adopt a long-range view and avoid the temptation to point at anything in particular and say "that's it! That's what I was waiting for." Do that and you stop the flow and have to start all over.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh. This is the way it works for me and seems consistent with what the C's have said. :)

Back
Top Bottom