Quotes

This is from my favorite "Twilight Zone" episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street":

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own: for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Rod Serling

Morpheus: Remember, I’m offering you the truth, nothing more.You don’t have to see to believe, but you do have to believe to see.

From Bill Hicks, doing an impersonation of Elvis back from the dead.

From where I've been - purgatory - I've seen the world objectively. I wanna tell you something; objectively looking at the world, you're the only people alive on the Earth today. All the people that created tradition, created countries, and created rules - those people are dead. Why don't you start your own world while you've got the chance.

“Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.”

William Shakespeare

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."

Norman Cousins

Daydreaming
From “Eleanora

“They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night”. Edgar Allan Poe

“Scientific research in a given special field should be linked to related fields . . . it should proceed from basic premises to knowledge wider in scope, to a point at which we pass from an unidimensional “I know” to a multidimensional “ I understand.” Knowledge is usually unidimensional and understanding multidimensional; knowledge is based on perception and judgment, understanding involves also experience and intuition which add a depth to the perception and judgment”

(Dabrowski, 1967, pp.11-12).

"In the life of warriors it was extremely natural to be sad for no overt reason. ...Whenever the boundaries of the known are broken, a mere glimpse of the eternity outside is enough to disrupt the coziness of our controlled awareness. The resulting melancholy is sometimes so intense that it can bring about death. ...The best way to get rid of melancholy is to make fun of it." (Castaneda, 1984)

[quote author= The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge] My benefactor’s question has meaning now. Does this path have a heart?
If it does, the path is good; if it does not, it is of no use.

Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart the other does not.
One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it.
The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.

The trouble is nobody asks the question; and when a man finally realizes that he has taken a path
without a heart, the path is ready to kill him. At that point very few men can stop to deliberate, and leave the path.

A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it.
On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it.

For me there is only the traveling on paths that have a heart, or on any path that
may have heart. There I travel… and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length.[/quote]

Quotes by Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy

Christianity, with its doctrine of humility, of forgiveness, of love, is incompatible with the state, with its haughtiness, its violence, its punishment and its wars.

True science investigates and brings to human perception such truths and such knowledge as the people of a given time and society consider most important. Art transmits these truths from the region of perception to the region of emotion.

Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness

Though it is possible to utter words only with the intention to fulfill the will of God, it is very difficult not to think about the impression which they will produce on men and not to form them accordingly. But deeds you can do quite unknown to men, only for God. And such deeds are the greatest joy that a man can experience.

What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.

Faith is the sense of life, that sense by virtue of which man does not destroy himself, but continues to live on. It is the force whereby we live.

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity.

A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator the smaller the fraction.

The changes in our life must come from the impossibility to live otherwise than according to the demands of our conscience not from our mental resolution to try a new form of life.

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem.
That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily.

- Thomas Szasz

Back
Top Bottom