Ultra Simple Diet

Mrs. Peel said:
3D Student said:
Psyche said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Do you really have to make the Ultrabroth? Can the diet be done with without it, just utilizing everything else?

You can skip it, although it is rich in nutrients and an exc snack.

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I want to still make it :P. I find it the most time consuming part of the preparation, as it takes a while to make and bottle it. But I have been throwing the veggies in the compost, and maybe could eat them.

Uh, yeah. Lazy, I am. I'd rather juice some veggies, but then I still have to clean out the juicer. :lol:

But the juiced veggies will not have the same anti-inflammatory effect. I'm not kidding, it's like drinking medicine food. It really calms things down.

Psyche said:
We've been trying to avoid whole rice and rice protein, specially those of us who have been having detox reactions and are becoming more sensitive to lectins. It seems to me that hemp protein is a good option, it should be gluten free (as far as I'm aware of). It will be worth to have a look to more info about samples testing and also about the lectin content of peas in comparison to rice. There are also pure amino acids powders that can be added to the shake.
Do you have an updated "shake" recipe somewhere? I am going to try again, and a starting list of ingredients would be very helpful. I do not think that the rice protein or rice milk was doing me a lot of good.

I had a very bad reaction to the earlier shake recipes, although the symptoms (all sorts of GI distress) developed slowly over the course of several weeks and it took some time and experimentation to confirm that the shakes were the source. I was, however, taking a rather dangerous medication at the same time (after learning that I had blood clots in my lungs) and there may have been an interaction. Once the problem had developed, even a shake made with only fruit and rice milk would trigger a bad reaction, though it would not be apparent until a couple of days later.

I have seen hemp milk as well as hemp protein in the store, and someone else here mentioned using hemp milk. Is that a good starting point, along with the fruit and other items? I will also use smaller amounts until I am sure that the previous problems aren't coming back.

Megan said:
I have seen hemp milk as well as hemp protein in the store, and someone else here mentioned using hemp milk. Is that a good starting point, along with the fruit and other items? I will also use smaller amounts until I am sure that the previous problems aren't coming back.

Yes, that would be worth giving it a try. Hemp protein is an option for those who can't tolerate the whole rice.

:)

Psyche said:
Megan said:

Yes, that would be worth giving it a try. Hemp protein is an option for those who can't tolerate the whole rice.

:)

Reading your post, Psyche, reminded me that I have been meaning to write about my experience with hemp protein powder and the ultra simple diet.

When I started the ultra simple diet I used hemp protein powder as rice powder is not available where I live. I took the daily amount recommended on the container, which is two scoops. I carried on with this for a few weeks; I'm not exactly sure how long. After some time, my urine became very dark brown in colour, even though I was drinking plenty of water, and my back was aching in the region of my kidneys. Not a heavy duty ache, quite subtle really, but enough to tell me something was wrong. In addition, my muscles were very stiff. I could hardly turn my head!

I did some research and found that this is a common effect of over-consumption of protein, caused by excess protein intake and not enough physical activity to utilise the ingested protein. While researching for remedial action I could take, I came across an article on Natural News about Six flavour tea pills, a Chinese herbal formula which supports kidney function. As soon as I read the article I knew these would help me so I bought some from my nearest Chinese clinic. The pills are known in Chinese as Liu Wei Di Huang Wan. I bought them from Herbal Inn who call them Radix RP. I'm in the UK.

Natural News said:
Out of thousands of TCM patent herbal formulas, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (or Six Flavor Tea Pill) is perhaps the most important of all. It treats a wide variety of conditions, from diabetes, high cholesterol numbers, low adrenals and insomnia to weakness in the knees, poor hearing and poor eyesight. One of the reasons it is so important is that it is useful throughout life, from very young to very old. Its success in helping slow growing underdeveloped children get on the right track fast is only mirrored by its ability to help the frail and aging get back to a much fuller life as well. The six herbs in this formula are tolerable by most anyone[...].

I completely removed the protein powder from my diet and started taking the pills. I noticed an improvement very quickly; I would say within 24 hours. The ache in my back disappeared within two or three days but it took a few weeks for my urine to return to normal. I originally planned on taking the pills for four weeks, as advised by the Chinese clinic, but only needed them for two.

I've lost the links to the sites where I read about the effect of over-consumption of protein, but I thought I would post this so others can take care with their protein consumption. I bought hemp protein powder from two different suppliers and neither container carried any cautions about over-consumption.

The ultra simple diet revealed that I have a sensitivity to buckwheat! I don't like it very much and it actually makes me nauseous, as do sweet potatoes. Now I use amaranth, quinoa and brown rice. I'm going to try millet soon, too.

Endymion said:
When I started the ultra simple diet I used hemp protein powder as rice powder is not available where I live. I took the daily amount recommended on the container, which is two scoops. I carried on with this for a few weeks; I'm not exactly sure how long. After some time, my urine became very dark brown in colour, even though I was drinking plenty of water, and my back was aching in the region of my kidneys. Not a heavy duty ache, quite subtle really, but enough to tell me something was wrong. In addition, my muscles were very stiff. I could hardly turn my head!

Hmm, I had forgotten about the rice in the protein powder. I bought a lot of them because there was a sale, but it's not too late to return them. I have been feeling stiff in my legs too, but I work on my feet. It helps to get in some real nice stretching. I haven't noticed anything else and am starting my fourth week on the diet.

I haven't tested for rice yet, but maybe I'll put it on the first things to test for list. The hemp protein is actually cheaper it seems.

And I looked a little on protein intake:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_daily_protein_recommendations_for_people said:
The FDA recommends 65 grams a day for people consuming 2000 calories and 80 grams a day for those consuming 2500.
and:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html said:
Stress on kidneys occurs when more than 2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day is consumed.

There's a little calculating to the ideal body weight but it comes out to a lot of protein. I'd have to eat nearly 5 shakes to reach that level.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Endymion. It shows how each one of us are different and how testing is important.

Thought I'd give an update on progress. Decided to try avocados as they are a good source of healthy fats. I've just had my third one (one at the evening meal, breakfast and now lunch) and I am definitely allergic to them!
Seems sneezing, running nose (its just starting to stream again), headache and flu like ache in my body.
Doing some research suggests that I may be either allergic to the birch group, or have a latex/food allergy connection (having similar symptoms from bananas probably means the latter).

_http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Latex_allergy
Latex allergy and food
Around half of all people with latex allergy have allergic reactions when eating particular foods including avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato. This is because some of the proteins in latex that cause latex allergy are also present in these fruits. Common symptoms include tingling in the mouth, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and wheezing.

A person who is allergic to the manufacturing chemicals in latex will not have allergic reactions to these foods.

I did read one website that suggested buckwheat was also in this category.....I sure hope not, but last time I had buckwheat pancakes I felt just like this....hopefully its just the olive oil they where cooked in (olive oil gives me the same painful ache in my body).

On the plus side, I tried out the broth and really like it (no problems there so far even using celery and spinach)......turned it into a soup in the end (after just trying the liquid) and that's been really nice!

I put some rice/quinoa and turkey in one and that was great!

Having been paying close attention to symptoms (and not just thinking its all hay fever) it seems that the turkey was also causing the runny nose, sneezing, headache etc....having switched to frozen fish (instead of tinned fish) has really helped, and I've had several meals (with wild salmon or haddock) that have been totally symptom free.
Trying to find something other than fish to eat right now is a bit of a problem (I'm thinking eating nothing but fish would be bad given mercury levels). I may try the chicken again but I'm not holding out much hope for that one.
Got some organic beef mince to try, although I'm not sure if my IBS will like beef (the book arrived this morning but haven't had a chance to read it yet).

Trying to put any weight on at the moment seems next to impossible....I've bottomed out at 9stone7 / 133pounds / 60kg (I'm 6ft3inches/191cm tall). My mum keeps suggesting I go see a doctor about my weight, I'm not sure what to do/say at this point....wouldn't be surprised if people start thinking I'm anorexic.
I'm going to try testing ghee in a day or so.....

Hi RedFox. Regarding IBS, I posted the following in this thread this morning. You may find it interesting.

Endymion said:
Laura said:
Mona said:
Her digestive system is quite weak as everytime she eats something that is a little more greasy she has to go to the bathroom immediately.

This sounds like IBS.

Tormentil complex is a herbal tincture suggested for use in cases of IBS, which you may like to look into. I had gastric flu (or something like it) ten years ago, and I found tormentil compex to be gentle and very effective. I tried the usual things you can get in the pharmacy, but tormentil was the only thing that stopped the diarrhoea.

Product Description:
Bioforce A.Vogel Tormentil Complex, Potentilla tormentilla grows widely throughout Europe and was known by the herbalist Culpepper who mentioned its uses in his writings. In this remedy, the fresh seeds of young oats, a very popular herb with Alfred Vogel, are combined with the roots of Tormentil to create a gentle complex. The Tormentil herb is a member of the Rose family. It can be found all over Europe, growing wild in woods, moors and grassy pieces of ground. It is a small plant with yellow flowers. The root is thick and red on the inside, giving rise to its common name Bloodroot.

HOW IT WORKS:
Tormentil has a high tannin content which gives it a distinct astringent action on the digestive tract. Tannins bind to the proteins present in the irritated lining of the bowel, forming a layer which soothes and, at the same time, provides a barrier against infective organisms and toxins. They also slow down the frequency of bowel motions, encouraging the healing of an inflamed bowel.

INGREDIENTS FOR USE OF Bioforce A.Vogel Tormentil Complex:
Contains the tinctures of: fresh Potentilla (Tormentil) root 75%
• Fresh Avena sativa (Organically grown) (Oats) aerial parts 25%.
• Alcohol content: 60% v/v.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE OF Bioforce A.Vogel Tormentil Complex:
• Adults: 20-30 drops 2 to 3 times daily, in a little water.
• Children (2-12 years): 1 drop per year of age, 2 to 3 times daily, in a little water.
This product is not recommended for children under 2 years of age.

ADDITIONAL ADVICE:
Medical advice should be sought if acute symptoms do not improve within 24 to 36 hours, or if diarrhoea is violent and accompanied by severe pain, vomiting, fever or blood loss.

USES FOR Bioforce A.Vogel Tormentil Complex:
• Diarrhoea
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

from _http://www.revital.co.uk/A_Vogel_Tormentil_Complex

RedFox said:
Having been paying close attention to symptoms (and not just thinking its all hay fever) it seems that the turkey was also causing the runny nose, sneezing, headache etc....having switched to frozen fish (instead of tinned fish) has really helped, and I've had several meals (with wild salmon or haddock) that have been totally symptom free.
Trying to find something other than fish to eat right now is a bit of a problem (I'm thinking eating nothing but fish would be bad given mercury levels). I may try the chicken again but I'm not holding out much hope for that one.
Got some organic beef mince to try, although I'm not sure if my IBS will like beef (the book arrived this morning but haven't had a chance to read it yet).

Trying to put any weight on at the moment seems next to impossible....I've bottomed out at 9stone7 / 133pounds / 60kg (I'm 6ft3inches/191cm tall). My mum keeps suggesting I go see a doctor about my weight, I'm not sure what to do/say at this point....wouldn't be surprised if people start thinking I'm anorexic.
I'm going to try testing ghee in a day or so.....

A couple of things, Redfox. Are you eating a LOT of the foods that you CAN eat? You mentioned that you were not sure about the buckwheat, maybe you should try it again and eat plenty of that along with veggies and such that you can eat, as long as it doesn't bother you. It sure put the weight back on me. Also, how about quinoa? Does that bother you? You also may want to try some beef, as you suggested, and some lamb or bacon, to see how you do with that. If you cannot eat olive oil, try cooking with lard or something similar.

As far as IBS goes, this may be contributing to your weight problem as well, although Psyche would know much more about this than I. But for your IBS problem, in the book Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, it talks about how IBS and not enough sleep are intertwined. Are you sleeping well? If not, you should be taking some 5HTP and melatonin.

I'm sorry that you are having these difficulties. I am starting to think that I should go back to the consuming sunshine thread and really read up on it as I keep finding more foods that I react to all the time. But I am starting to feel better, which is a worthy trade off.

Don't give up, I am thinking that there are other problems that may be contributing to your weight loss. Maybe your should go over the UltraMind Quizzes again, I think that mention weight loss is in the questions.

Hi RedFox. I'm reading your posts with great interest and just for your information I'm also experiencing weight losing/gaining problems. Although I'm 174cm and 63kg at a moment. I've started Ultra Simple Diet two months ago and I've managed to lose additional 1-1,5kg in this period, but when I was starting with Detox diet two years ago my weight was 74kg! So to be honest, I'm very worried with my weight, not to mention my family members. Following your situation gives me sort of comfort and will to carry on in searching for nutritional program appropriate for me. And only now I can see how complex this issue is. In course of time I've discovered that I'm in the Birch allergy group and was complete unaware of celery and parsley as potential allergen for this group until Psyche's post. Oh my, oh my, when I think that whole my life I made and eat soups containing celery and parsley and most of all I love it. And yes, raw celery gives me runny nose, something I've find out just recently.

As well as you I'm suspecting in my case of gall bladder/liver problems and poor absorption of nutrients, but in the last 2-3 months I've ate more then 5 kg of brown rice protein and at least so L Glutamine along with meat and I didn't gain a single gram. I'm even exercising regularly more or less and still nothing, so it is from time to time frustrating. Beginning to look like "stripped to the bone" literally. :)

And currently it looks like I'm in middle of virosis of some kind. I went nuts last few days finding what is going on with my digestion and where I'm mistaking. Even steamed chard and squash with cooked buckwheat and cooked chicken breast today gave me abdominal pains and flatulence from gall bladder/liver area thru right side of navel to lower abdomen ending with diarrhea. I've skipped last night's EE and reschedule it for today but even now I'm feeling to tired for doing it.

So just want to say, hold on pal and let us know whatever you discover. It is easier to go thru all this when you know you're not alone. If I made any progress I'll report it ASAP.

Hi RedFox,

Are your energy levels alright? If you keep losing weight, you can go to the doctor to have a general check up and some blood tests done. If seeing an alternative or orthomolecular doctor is an option, that will be better, because then you can be more open with him or her. Chances are that a mainstream doctor will have no clue about food intolerances.

Nienna Eluch has good points. You can use the diet as a guide, but you'll have to eat more portions and varieties of the foods you can tolerate. Perhaps it is not a meat per se that might be bothering you, it could be the spices.

Also enough supplementation is important when you are having malabsorption. Re-doing the ultra mind quizzes can give you a general idea of where you are at.

Hang on there, you can do this.

Our resident IBS sufferer finds that if he starts every meal with a good portion of home-made applesauce (no sugar added), it makes it easier for him to digest his food without problems. Also, some L-glutamine first thing in the morning in some water helps to heal the intestines.

Mainly, IBS sufferers can't tolerate fats or only small amounts, and then only with the applesauce buffer.

Try eating sweet potatoes regularly too. Rice pasta is another good one. Never eat dark meat of the birds, only the breasts. Beets and carrots are also good to slow transit time.

If you can just concentrate on those few foods for a few weeks and get stabilized, eat a lot of whatever feels okay, then you can add other veggies one at a time.

I knew a woman once whose baby was allergic to all foods EXCEPT frog legs. His entire digestive tract was ulcerated from literally everything he ate. He was undoubtedly toxified, but you have to live long enough to get detoxed before you can eat more stuff! So you have to find the few things that work and eat LOTS of it.

Hi all
Thanks for the support, its really helped and I am really grateful for it.....it has given me a lot of new perspective on this :flowers:
I was feeling pretty down about things, I'm sure the avacado didn't help.
Read all your replies last night and decided that I needed a break from my routine, so went to the cinema.
Re-took the quiz today with interesting results.

RedFox said:
Here are my updated scores (as of today).

Fatty Acids Quiz 5 -1
Dopamine Quiz 6 +1
Serotonin Quiz 6 -1
GABA Quiz 7 no change
Acetylcholine Quiz 4 -1
Methylation Quiz 7 -3
Vitamin D Quiz 6 +1 (have recently stopped taking vit D due to it being summer, and high vit D levels being linked to weight loss)
Magnesium Quiz 11 no change (looks like I need more magnesium)
Zinc Quiz 6 -2
Insulin Quiz 9 no change....but in general my energy levels are less erratic/more stable than they where
Thyroid Quiz 9 -4
Sexual Hormones Quiz 8 -1
Inflammation Quiz 10 no change
Gut Quiz 6 -7!!!! I put this down to the UltraSimple diet
Toxins Quiz 6 -2
Loss of Energy Quiz 13 -3
Oxidative Stress Quiz 7 +1
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 10 -6!!!! I've been taking liquorish root and eating a large breakfast

Interesting.....I'm starting to wonder if my weight loss is not physiological??

So, in general my health is doing ok..... :huh:
Between your support, taking a break and redoing the quiz....my mood has improved a lot. I did feel like I was going backwards, maybe I'm simply facing the wrong way whilst moving forward?

Endymion said:
Hi RedFox. Regarding IBS, I posted the following in this thread this morning. You may find it interesting.
Thanks, that may well be useful (especially regarding slowing of digestion transit times).

Nienna Eluch said:
Are you eating a LOT of the foods that you CAN eat?
Yesterday I would have said yes......but I realise that perhaps I'm not. What has dawned on me today is that 30 odd years of eating causing discomfort/allergic reactions (even if extremely mild) has trained me to eat the bare minimum without being aware of it! I always stop before I feel full up.....feeling full up = major pain/discomfort. So I've had larger meals today and feel stuffed, but with no discomfort or pain.
Talk about having to be aware of programs you have to break.....I couldn't even see that the quantity I'm eating may be a incorrect because of that program.
I don't know if that's all of it, but its something new.

Quinoa is fine for me, and I've been combining it with white rice. I'm looking forward to trying the other foods.....yesterday I was feeling down about having to wait to try the other foods, today I don't feel down about it.

Nienna Eluch said:
As far as IBS goes, this may be contributing to your weight problem as well, although Psyche would know much more about this than I. But for your IBS problem, in the book Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, it talks about how IBS and not enough sleep are intertwined. Are you sleeping well? If not, you should be taking some 5HTP and melatonin.

I'm taking 50mg of 5HTP before going to bed (gives me time to do the POTS before it kicks in). My sleeps not been too bad.....what does seem to be a problem for me at the moment is staying up late.....the time just seems to disappear and I find myself at 12am/1am :/
This is another really old program I've still not managed to get to the bottom of.....but it results in me not getting enough sleep and feeling tired/run down (and 'poor me') the next day. It could be related to taking a break as I described above.....

Regulattor said:
As well as you I'm suspecting in my case of gall bladder/liver problems and poor absorption of nutrients, but in the last 2-3 months I've ate more then 5 kg of brown rice protein and at least so L Glutamine along with meat and I didn't gain a single gram. I'm even exercising regularly more or less and still nothing, so it is from time to time frustrating. Beginning to look like "stripped to the bone" literally. :)

Sorry to hear your going through something similar too Regulattor. fwiw I stopped brown rice protien when I read about those doing the brown rice diet.....in that it really didn't agree with them. The cause was leptins or lectins....I get those mixed up. I've got some hemp protein powder now, but have yet to start taking the shakes again. I ended up loosing weight despite having the shakes and everything else......I know what you mean about feeling "Stripped to the bone"!
You hang in there too!

Psyche said:
Are your energy levels alright?
In general, yes they are.....they are way more stable and I feel like I have more in reserve/more stamina for things than I use too. Yesterday though was a bit of a crash.....over all however I do wonder if I'm opperating at a lower energy level perhaps?? I'm still lacking get up and go, and the ability to 'do' much of anything. I'm not sure I entirely trust my perception of my own energy levels at the moment.
The stamina could just be a more stabilised but lower supply of energy. I'm less moody/cranky when tired/hungry.....

Laura said:
Our resident IBS sufferer finds that if he starts every meal with a good portion of home-made applesauce (no sugar added), it makes it easier for him to digest his food without problems. Also, some L-glutamine first thing in the morning in some water helps to heal the intestines.

Mainly, IBS sufferers can't tolerate fats or only small amounts, and then only with the applesauce buffer.

At the moment I'm having about 4g of L-glutamine first thing in water (with D-ribose and buffered vitimin C), and 4g of L-glutamine in water before bed with the 5HTP. The L-glutamine makes my intestines tingle (in a good way)...it feels like its helping a lot.

Sweet potatoes is something I've not been eating enough of so will have more of those. Been having the home made apple sauce before meals, and that feels like its helping. Would brown rice pasta be ok?? Or should I look for white rice pasta?

Laura said:
If you can just concentrate on those few foods for a few weeks and get stabilized, eat a lot of whatever feels okay, then you can add other veggies one at a time.
Thanks, this crossed my mind yesterday so I will do this. Need to get something more in reserve before coming up against things that cause allergic reactions I think.

Laura said:
I knew a woman once whose baby was allergic to all foods EXCEPT frog legs. His entire digestive tract was ulcerated from literally everything he ate. He was undoubtedly toxified, but you have to live long enough to get detoxed before you can eat more stuff! So you have to find the few things that work and eat LOTS of it.
Wow...that sure puts things in perspective. Poor woman :( I hope he was ok!

Ok, so to add some things to this.....it could simply be the learned behaviour around eating that is the problem, and I simply need to eat more.
Some other things that have crossed my mind (which I am exploring also) with all this (and perhaps I am simply over thinking things) are as follows:
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.....other than weight loss I'm not sure I have any of the symptoms, but just in case ordered some enteric coated live pro biotics....my pro biotics I'm currently taking don't say anything about being live or enteric coated.

I live a pretty sedentary life at the moment. Exercise in the past has at best done nothing, and more often than not made me feel worse for days on end....so perhaps now my diet is changed I should try exercise again? Learnt behaviour getting in the way again.

My dreams have been quite emotional recently and I've been confronting some past nightmares (ones I had for half my life) it seems....this time I defeated the protagonist, which unleashed a torrent (it felt like a massive ball encompassing nearly my entire house [self] in the dream) or emotional energy in the for of primal/survival fear.
On waking and re-exploring the dream landscape and the spot left by the protagonist, I can still feel the fear...and had some extremely unpleasant images flash before my eyes involving things being done to me for a split second.....I am unsure if these are perhaps memories related to my high strangeness from childhood or false images?
If I have a almost completely buried emotional trauma of some magnitude (and it feels pretty intense), then I'm thinking that this could be related to weight loss......

Along the emotional aspect of this, times in the past where I have lost a lot of weight include worrying about loved ones family members (and over committing energetically) or feeling worthless/that life was pointless/had no meaning. Times when I have gained the most weight have been when I have been emotionally accepted 'as I am' and felt like I've had purpose and meaning (even if external).
Trying to grasp purpose at the moment feels blocked from me. Again it seems related to taking a break I mentioned above......lack of joy in my life/self??

Sorry for the long reply and potentially going a mile off topic, but these are the the things I'm starting to wonder may be related or even more of a cause than diet itself. Any observations/input on this are welcome....perhaps I should start a new topic related to these things?
Thanks.

Frog legs!? I would never have thought of giving a baby frog legs....

I have been having some fun in the challenge of the Ultra Simple diet. It is quite the challenge The biggest challenge seems to be the shopping part... (I noticed I got really nervous in the store, almost self-conscious)... I came home with lots of fresh veggies and fruits (mainly berries for my shakes) and some organic chicken and fresh fish.

It is amazing how much I miss sugar. Usually I would not keep sugar products in the house, not even bulk sugar. But when I went out is where I would eat my sugar. Now I hold out from cookies and candies offered in social settings, and find it interesting how I am missing something, the subconscious wants to grab the cookie, the cola, etc.

I also miss my triscuits and wheat products. I have always tried to stay away from refined white flour things, but gluten based products have been an ingrained :) part of my diet for so long. This is one area where I am a little concerned/confused about. I don't have the means to make buckwheat bread in my little kitchen, so I am trying to find convenient ways to get some grain (carbs) into my diet.

This is still being considered as my "diet change" process as I learn to be extremely vigilant with my daily diet. I am being very observant to my body's signals and my mood. This isn't really a good time to say exactly what is food based changes, since there are a lot of external factors that are also affecting my body and mood at this point in time.

I am meeting my new primary care doctor this week, and hope to get a referral to a nutritionist. I hope that will work out right and be helpful toward my better health. Thanks to the forum for helping me bump the importance of diet up a few notches in seriousness .

Hi RedFox.

RF said:
what does seem to be a problem for me at the moment is staying up late.....the time just seems to disappear and I find myself at 12am/1am

Reading this reminded me of something connected to adrenal fatigue. You may already have read Adrenal Fatigue by James L Wilson, but in case you haven't, and as refresher, here's a quote you may find helpful.

James L Wilson said:
Sleep

Sleep is very important to full adrenal recovery but the twist is that sleeplessness is sometimes one of the signs of adrenal fatigue. In any case, how and when you sleep will affect your level of adrenal fatigue or replenishment.

For people with adrenal fatigue (most people), it is important to be in bed and asleep before your second wind hits at about 11.00pm. Riding your second wind and staying up until 1.00 or 2.00 in the morning will further exhaust your adrenals, even though you may feel more energetic during that time than you have felt all day. In order to avoid this pitfall, make sure that you are in bed and on your way to sleep before 10.30pm, so that your adrenal glands do not have a chance to kick into overdrive for that second wind.

Although most people's schedules do not allow it, it also helps to sleep in until 8.30 or 9.00 in the morning. There is something magical about the restorative power of sleep between 7.00-9.00 in the morning for people with adrenal fatigue. Even when your night has been restless or your sleep fitful, catching those couple hours of sleep between 7.00-9.00 AM can be remarkable refreshing.

The reason for this is that while you are sleeping during those morning hours your adrenals have a chance to rest, allowing your cortisol levels to rise. Normally cortisol levels rise rapidly from 6.00AM to approximately 8.00AM, but quite often in adrenal fatigue these levels do not rise as high and/or drop faster than normal. Also when your cortisol levels are lower as in adrenal fatigue, it takes longer to feel fully awake in the morning.

If you don't have a copy of Wilson's book, and the above is helpful, I'd be more than happy to type up some more from the book relating to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom