Ultra Simple Diet

gwb said:
You stated in your last reply to D Rusak that you were getting your body ready for an Anti-candida treatment. What are you waiting for?

I have been wanting to go 100% gluten free for a month before going on a strict anti candida diet / mild fasting, because no gluten will ease the pain from my gut I'll experience, when going on the anti candida diet. (and trust me, the pain is severe, I tried it before, and I had to stop the diet to be able to work).

I have a week off coming up soonish, and I plan to start there, because of my experience with severe symptoms of Toxinrelease /flu-like symptoms, and just plain feeling really horribly :)

I was wondering how many Mg's of 5Htp I should start experimenting with when I receive 'em? I read something here and there on this forum, but now I can't find it again when I search. Would anyone please share their experiences? :)

Helle said:
I was wondering how many Mg's of 5Htp I should start experimenting with when I receive 'em? I read something here and there on this forum, but now I can't find it again when I search. Would anyone please share their experiences? :)

I'll paste below an excerpt from the book of "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" so you'll have a better idea of what to do.

One of three things will happen when taking 5HTP with
a beginning dose of 50 mg at night:
1. The person falls asleep within 30 minutes and sleeps
through the night. If this is the case, stay on this dose. After
a few days, if you start to have problems with sleep again,
increase your dose of 5HTP as described below.

2. Nothing happens. This is the typical response to such a low
dose. Continue to add 50 mg each night (up to a maximum
of 300 mg) until you fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep
through the night. You should stay at the minimum dose
needed for deep sleep (up to a maximum of at 300 mg per
night).

Example: You take 50 mg of 5HTP 30 minutes before bed on
an empty stomach with 4 ounces of grape juice [note: obviously water will be fine to drink with it as well]
but don’t fall asleep within 30 minutes and/or don’t sleep through the
night. If this happens, add an additional 50 mg for a total of
100 mg of 5HTP. Take as directed above. If you don’t fall
asleep within 30 minutes and/or don’t sleep through the
night (7–8 hours of sleep), add an additional 50 mg for a
total of 150 mg. Keep increasing as needed up to 300 mg or
until you fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep through
the night.

3. Instead of making you sleepy, the dose makes you more
alert. This occurs more often in CFS
patients and is due to a sluggish liver. If this happens, you should discontinue taking
5HTP at bedtime. Instead, take 50 mg with food for 1–2
days. Taking 5HTP with food will slow it down and allow the
liver to process it like any other food stuff. Taking 5HTP with
food will not (usually) make you sleepy. If after 1–2 days you
have no further problems with 5HTP, you should increase to
100 mg of 5HTP with each meal (300 mg a day).
Taking 5HTP with food will help raise your serotonin and normalize
your sleep/wake cycles. It may take a little longer to see positive
results when taking 5HTP with food (1-2 weeks), but don’t
worry. You’ll eventually build up your serotonin stores and start to
see an improvement in your sleep, pain, moods, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and energy.

Melatonin Supplementation

When administered in pharmacological doses (1–6 mg before bed),
melatonin acts as a powerful sleep-regulating agent that controls
the circadian rhythm. A low dose of melatonin has also been
shown to be effective in treating insomnia and jet lag.

Delayed Sleep Phase Insomnia

Patients with altered circadian rhythms (sleep wake cycles) often
find it hard to fall asleep before the early morning hours. They
then end up sleeping through the day. This causes a further disruption
to normal circadian rhythms. It can be hard to get these
patients’ rhythms normalized. Studies have shown that 5 mg of
melatonin given at 11 p.m. helps advance and reset circadian
rhythms.

If you aren’t falling asleep within 30 minutes and sleeping through
the night on 300 mg of 5HTP, then it’s time to add melatonin.
If you’re taking 5HTP with food, make sure you’re taking 300–400
mg a day.

Magnesium

You should already be on CFS/Fibro Formula or some other highdose,
broad-spectrum multivitamin and mineral formula with a
minimum of 700 mg of magnesium.

5HTP plus B6 (piridoxin), B3 (niacin) and magnesium

A deficiency of any of the synergistic nutrients (magnesium, calcium, and
vitamins B6, B12, B1, and B3), will prevent the production of
serotonin.

So yeah, have a multivitamin and B complex in the morning, and I usually always take magnesium malate at the same time as the 5-HTP. My serotonin levels were very low so I have to take a lot of it throughout the day but the above should be a good start for you.

Thank you Heimdallr!
the 5htp I ordered are 100mg each, so I'll jump right to step 2 .

It depends on me baby-daughter, whether I get to sleep through the night though, as I don't have sleeping problems, only mood problems really. (Maybe with luck I just wont wake up when she cries though, aw my poor husband :P...)

I think in my case, I'll try taking it with food, to build up serotonin levels over a couple of weeks. I really need to also find magnesium malate, but that wont be until next month..

I'll see how it goes!

Sometime ago, (Easter?) I switched to a diet based on the blood type A guidelines (from a paleo diet (O!!!)). From a previous post by slowone I got interested in the GenoType diet, and I noted a comment in a post by Laura, something along the lines that one could ease up on the restrictions in the Blood Type diet.

Confusion now reins, my GenoType is Teacher (still blood type A), however some of the 'Superfoods to emphasize' and 'Toxins to limit or avoid' are at variance with the 'Highly beneficial' and 'foods to avoid' of the Blood Type diet. For example: Cabbage is a superfood in the GenoType , yet it is a food to avoid in the Blood Type; Collards greens are OK for A, yet toxic for Teacher; Broccoli is OK for A and not mentioned for Teacher; Spinach id OK for A and toxic for Teacher.

The GenoType even goes as far s recommending some 'low-overgrowth' cheeses - to help with rebuiding the digestive system, the problem for Teachers, yet A restricts all cheeses, with Goat's cheese and milk being neutral (these two to be avoided by Teacher!).

I'd be interested if anyone could clear up this apparent 'mismatch' which may partially be explained by the easing up of the restrictions of the Blood Type diet. Also, I note from one of Laura's food lists that say, Cabbage is OK, and Laura tends to cater for all blood types or makes a comment if not.

Relief to my confusion would be appreciated, or even what the 'easing up is', before I'm reduced to eating the grits on the floor of my cave.

I read the Genotype book and I'm a gatherer. There is some interesting information in the book, but the diet should be a general guideline and there could be more exceptions than rules. At least it can give you some ideas. But the best thing to make sure if you tolerate a food or not, is through an elimination diet like the Ultra Simple diet and then some testing after 2 weeks as described in the Ultra Simple thread.

It seems to me that the blood type book is still D'Adamo's best book, the genotype book is somewhat iffy to me. I suppose I was expecting more information and references.

Thank you Psyche for your reply.

The Teacher does have a resonance with me, in terms of '... Teachers gain weight from excess toxicity.' Since doing the Sherry Rogers heavy metal detox programme; the Ultramind 'rolling six week course of relevant supplements, a Blood Type A diet; sauna sessions; and finishing the Ultra Simple elimination diet (with the exception of the legumes, which were too anti-social in the work environment! a week ago, I have lost over 14 lbs in weight, requiring putting an extra three holes in my trouser's belt! It has certainly helped get rid of the toxins. Mark at Get-Fitt tells me that the weight will stabilse. And, I have just, this week, started on anti-Candida supplementation and programme of foods.

I think that I will stick with the Blood Type A diet, with the introduction of new foods, as you have suggested elsewhere. Thanks for your educated insights, this has helped me decide what to do.

Trevrizent said:
The Teacher does have a resonance with me, in terms of '... Teachers gain weight from excess toxicity.'

Yeah, the info on each genotype is interesting. He says Explorers have great regenerative capabilities, and I've seen one example of this which was very extra-ordinary. Also, what he says about "lines" in your fingerprints due to gluten intolerance or problems in your digestive system was also very interesting. I always wondered about lines appearing in my fingerprints throughout the years. I made a synopsis of the book awhile ago, was curious about all these studies he was referring to, and never got around to search them on the library. Maybe one day ;). Now that I mentioned it, here is a quote:

D'Adamo said:
White lines

Research dating back to the early 1970s shows a correlation between the appearance of white lines and the incidence of celiac disease. Typically, the number of white lines increases with age as gut integrity continues to deteriorate. In many cases, white lines begin to vanish with the maintenance of a gluten free diet. Some researchers believe that white lines are a useful indicator of a person's response to diet therapy, although complete improvement of the fingerprints might take as long as two years.

Well, I think mine are still there, perhaps a teensy better. I've been in the diet for over a year.

Trevrizent said:
I think that I will stick with the Blood Type A diet, with the introduction of new foods, as you have suggested elsewhere.

You've been doing pretty good. Patience pays.

Also it is worth remembering that some people can't tolerate foods that are listed as pretty safe in the Ultra Simple diet, but with time you become your own expert on food intolerances. I'm allergic to lemons and nuts for example.

Nomad said:
Oxajil said:
I think that I am underweight and I don't really know how to gain some weight naturally. I do try out some things, for example, when I ate mackerel I poured some olive oil over it. Maybe I should take more portions of everything that Laura posted? I was wondering if you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate that.

I've sometimes had a similar problem. I found that the best way to gravitate towards my natural weight is to pay attention to living more healthily in whatever ways I can think of: eg, making sure I keep a better balance between intellectual and physical work - in my case, and perhaps for you, this means regularly doing more physical work.

Physical exercise is good for the brain, it oxygenates the body, restores a natural brain-chemical balance (releases various hormones), helps to build muscle, kick starts all sorts of systems around the body that contribute to its general smooth running. It also makes you hungry!

Oh, I'm so sorry, I never saw this reply before, must have missed it while reading through the thread!

Thank you, my mother tells me all the time to do some exercising, I'm just wondering what kind of exercise I could do. I'll come up with something. Thanks again.

Just a heads-up re brown rice protein made by NOW foods. They discontinued the product due to "heavy metal content." I asked my supplier what happened and was told that a batch became contaminated, so they're not going to make/sell it anymore.

iHerb sells an alternative that looks good value for money:

_http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Rice-Protein-3-lb-1-36-kg/4229?at=0

Kniall said:
Just a heads-up re brown rice protein made by NOW foods. They discontinued the product due to "heavy metal content." I asked my supplier what happened and was told that a batch became contaminated, so they're not going to make/sell it anymore.

iHerb sells an alternative that looks good value for money:

_http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Rice-Protein-3-lb-1-36-kg/4229?at=0

Did they say what batch and when? I just received a shipment of two 3lb tubs of NOW's product and haven't heard a word on this. :shock:

My understanding is that it's their most recent batch. Whether that includes your two tubs, perhaps only NOW could tell you. Here's the email exchange I had with a rep from HiLife Vitamins on Nov 5:

HiLife said:
This product has been discontinued by NOW. I do have a Brown Rice Protein
powder by Source Naturals in a 1lb size. It is vegetarian. Let me know.

Just to let you know, they discontinued the item due to heavy metal content.

me said:
I'll be damned. Was it a contaminated batch? Or was heavy metal content always present? I ate loads of that stuff. Friends too.

HiLife said:
They said it was this batch. Therefore, they will not be making this product anymore.

Is it possible to make the rice protein shake mixture at home, using a blender? Or is everyone that makes those shakes using a store-bought mixture? I purchased a blender/processor and was hoping could make it at home, but a quick look on the Internet shows that apparently you cannot; but I wanted to double-check :

"In special processes, brown rice is treated with enzymes that cause separation between carbs and proteins."

_http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-rice-protein.htm

Hi. I would just like to ask what exactly "yogi tea"? I did a quick search in the net and i think it is a brand, but why is it different from others, is it caffeine free or something like that?

Thanks is advance.

Green_Manalishi said:
Hi. I would just like to ask what exactly "yogi tea"? I did a quick search in the net and i think it is a brand, but why is it different from others, is it caffeine free or something like that?

Thanks is advance.
It is a brand, sold in grocery stores (perhaps in the health food section). Some of their teas contain caffeine, depending of course on what kind it is. The teas are organic and not genetically modified, but I am not aware of anything special about them.

I've been doing the diet again now for about 5 weeks straight after falling of the wagon for a few weeks. I had done it 5 weeks as well before falling off. I've been having some good results and have lost 40 lbs but I have one continual problem -- constipation.

I've got this senna that I take 3 times per day (470mg per pill) to help, and I also take 1 or 2 docusate sodium 100mg (stool softener) in the evening. That seems to help enough that I can get buy, although not smoothly, but the senna says not to take it for more than 7 days straight and I haven't found any warnings etc. related to the docusate sodium.

So I'm wondering if anyone has more info on the above 2 pills, and if anyone has had the continual problems like I have and has found some other way to help.

I drink lots of water every day (at minimum 96 ounces) and eat some form of beans and rice almost every day as well as chicken and veggies and the ultrashake in the morning.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom