Recipes

Was originally going to post this in the "Designs of the Times" section but its states its more for quirks and complaints, not suggestions. So I hope its OK here.

I would like to suggest a separate subforum in the "Diet and Health" section just for recipes.

There are a lot of really good recipes spread throughout many threads that could be gathered into one folder for better access and awareness. Others of course could be added. (Still hoping for Laura to get permission and post the gluten-free "Fish Batter". ;) )

The first post of a thread would contain the recipe. People that actual make the recipe could then comment for feedback. With say 5(?) positives it would become a sticky (recommended/approved).

After 101(?) sticky recipes they could be formatted with pictures into a CafePress-like self(sto)published cookbook for a small revenue generating stream for the Cass site or SoTT. "Objective Nutrition: Volume One"

I realise the taste preference is subjective, but the ingredients could be hyperlinked to the nutritional research. For the book it could be paraphrased with sources sited. An "ingredia" could be created to make it easier for the recipe poster to link.

OSIT

JH

Okay. When I get a minnit I'll make a recipe forum.

Thank you Laura. I know you are very busy. I did not realise you would have to be the one to implement it.

After some research, this is the simplest way I came up with for implementing an "ingredia" (ingredient wikipedia) without having to rewrite large portions of the forum info into stand alone pages. Stand alone ingredient topic threads would still be encouraged for research purposes for the actual info, this is merely a method to conveniently implement and access the info from a recipe.

When posting an ingredient, create a hyperlink by highlighting the name of the ingredient then clicking on the hyperlink icon. Type or copy & paste the following code directly after the first 'url' and before the first end bracket:

Code:
=http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=search2&&search="nameofingredient"

Change the name of ingredient inside the quotes to your actual ingredient name (copy & paste), but leave the quotes.

This should produce the following code:

Code:
[url=http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=search2&&search="nameofingredient"]
name of ingredient
[/url]

The first time in quotes is used as a search code and the second time used as the label for the hyperlink. (For the example above, no spaces where used in the first so it only takes one click to highlight when replacing with copy of real name.)

This returns a list of posts from a forum search for "name of ingredient". The user will still have to work through the info, but it will save them several clicks, some typing and time. This also has the added benefit of auto updating as new info is posted on the forums instead of a stand alone page.

Currently this searches the entire forum which results in the most info from a variety of angles, this could be refined to the Diet and Health section only (or topic only) but would require the use of more script tags.

Example:

Laura's Buckwheat Pancakes

2 cups buckwheat flour
2 rounded teaspoons baking powder
salt
enough rice milk and water to make the batter the right consistency.

I am new to forum posting and its coding so please if anyone has a better way please let me know.

JH

Well, it turned out that I wasn't computer savvy enough to do the deed, so Mr. Scott did it for me. Here is the board:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?board=32.0

Thank you Mr. Scott.

Would it be appropriate to post other people's recipes that are found on this forum in the new Recipe child forum? Full credit should be given in the post to the original contributor, but the topic name of the recipe would automatically be attributed to the new poster.

I feel responsible for the effort put forth by Laura and Mr. Scott and would like to contribute to its content, but currently do not have a specific recipe of my own to post.

JH

Back
Top Bottom